Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2017, 05:19 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
Tony,

Click on the link you referenced in your above post for the Alligator Valve caps and it will show you the difference. The alligator ones keep dirt away from the seals and you don't have to remove them to add/check air in the tires like you do with regular valve caps.

Jon
Works just like a grease zerk fitting and make sure you wipe the tip of the Alligator caps before adding air. I would be concern if they are good for RV PSI tires.
1996 34'J Fleetwood Bounder, Chevy 454 TBI P-32, Bank PowerPack, Ultra Power Chip, BellCranks, Rear Trac Bar, Silver Safe-T-Plus and 04 CR-V Toad, Roadmaster Base Plate and All Terain Tow Bar, SMI Stay-In-Play DUO.
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2017, 08:40 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspaz View Post
I wasn't aware that they were adjustable. I'd have to look at them again. I ended up just taking them off and attaching the tpms to the regular valves. It's fine but a pain to take them off and add air.
Why is that? I figured it wasn't any different than removing and reinstalling a valve stem cap.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:43 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I like the 45 degree ones they have. If they were only longer.
Is there any reason not to stack extensions? That is, can I put a 45 degree on my valve stem, then add a 6" extension to that? Has anyone done that? I've never tried it, but don't see why it wouldn't work.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:52 PM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Is there any reason not to stack extensions? That is, can I put a 45 degree on my valve stem, then add a 6" extension to that? Has anyone done that? I've never tried it, but don't see why it wouldn't work.
jt
Just remember that you will also be increasing the chances of having the extensions leaking.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:39 AM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
jt
I was wondering that same thing. I may try it or just buy new flexible ones and see if they work better than the ones I have.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:40 AM   #34

Commercial Member

Quote:
I wasn't aware that they were adjustable. I'd have to look at them again. I ended up just taking them off and attaching the tpms to the regular valves. It's fine but a pain to take them off and add air.

I have suggested people run a 10% cushion on air pressure. That eliminates the need for constant messing with the pressure. Tires should loose less than 2% (less than 1.5% is better) per month , adjusting for changes in ambient.

Using your TMPS cool tire morning reading and recording the ambient temp too I think that if you make a chart on monthly temp & pressure you will see what is really happening. If you loose more than 2.5% you may have slow leak. Soapy water spray around valve stem base (where it mounts to wheel) and around the TPMS or extenders should show ZERO bubbles. Not even any small ones.

Valve cores are not really "adjustable" but can be over tightened which places them too deep for some TPMS sensors to open the core. I have a couple posts just on valves.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:46 AM   #35

Commercial Member

Long valve stems

I suggest that if you are looking for long "bent" metal stems you ONLY get them installed by a Truck Tire dealer. Preferable not just a "dealer" as anyone can sell tires, but a "company store" or a store that is part of a large chain as they are more likely to have a selection and actual training on proper installation of truck valve stems.

With long stems it is also important to remember to not just press the end when adding air or checking pressure as you can generate a lot of force on the joint between valve and wheel. Always support the stem or hose extension with your other hand even if the stem or hose has a hard mounting as you can loosen the mounting point too.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:22 AM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I have suggested people run a 10% cushion on air pressure. That eliminates the need for constant messing with the pressure. Tires should loose less than 2% (less than 1.5% is better) per month , adjusting for changes in ambient.

Using your TMPS cool tire morning reading and recording the ambient temp too I think that if you make a chart on monthly temp & pressure you will see what is really happening. If you loose more than 2.5% you may have slow leak. Soapy water spray around valve stem base (where it mounts to wheel) and around the TPMS or extenders should show ZERO bubbles. Not even any small ones.

Valve cores are not really "adjustable" but can be over tightened which places them too deep for some TPMS sensors to open the core. I have a couple posts just on valves.
Thanks for the info. You bring up a good point about messing with the air pressure. I don't mess with it but I guess it would be easier knowing I could just pull off the tpms and add air as needed. Right now I have to squeeze my hand between the wheels to deal with the inner dually and it's not the easiest thing in the world.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:48 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
I purchased Alligator V2B Inflate through Valve Stem Caps. These are very well made and add just enough length to get a dual head chuck inside the rim to measure tire pressure. They are self sealing, so no valve cap is needed. I have used these for several years now with no problems.

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:22 PM   #38

Used them by the hundreds on a large truck fleet. Never had a problem with them. I never could get people to replace regular caps-they either tossed them or didn't bother to check them at all.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:18 AM   #39

Camping world has both a 45 bend
dbrandenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:24 PM   #40

Commercial Member

Valve caps & cap extenders

If you do not use TPMS sensor or have "flow through" sensor you still should use metal valve caps that have good internal "O" rings. Valve caps do two jobs. 1. help keep air in if the core is leaking and 2 keeps dirt out of the core which has a very small valve in it. See HERE.

If you use the "aligator" flow through cap be sure you always clean off the end as you may end up blowing dirt into the valve core if you add air and there is dirt on the end of the cap.

Check Why valves leak

Valve Extensions