Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2013, 08:20 AM   #1

Solution for dashboard lounging dogs

After countless attempts of scolding our dogs for dashboard lounging DH and I came up with an easy solution. We purchased a painters drop cloth and inserted 4 small cup hooks into the sidewalls to fasten the grommets. We just simply unhook the passenger side grommets when we are traveling and fold the cloth behind the drivers seat. When we stop for any length of time it takes 2 seconds to attach it into position. Saves me from constantly cleaning the windows and also the constant worry of the dogs accidentally ripping the draperies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2535114673.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	418.2 KB
ID:	41454  

Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2013, 08:26 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
SMART

onourway2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We use a "dash mat" and have MCD shades so the cats can't sharpen their claws on drapes. Does your dog ride in a kennel? Our cats do otherwise they would be a HUGE distraction while I would be attempting to drive. deSanford PS you came up with a very good and practical solution.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
We use a "dash mat" and have MCD shades so the cats can't sharpen their claws on drapes. Does your dog ride in a kennel? Our cats do otherwise they would be a HUGE distraction while I would be attempting to drive. deSanford PS you came up with a very good and practical solution.
No...our dogs are not crated as we are moving however she is perfect ally happy riding in the back. It's only when we leave her alone she lays on the dash. '
Old 06-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #5

All that trouble should not be necessary.
Perhaps you are not aware that dogs, (like most other pets and children), can be trained?
Mine are!
BTW, I have even trained gold fish to swim away from a pencil when one is stuck into their water habitat. :-)
Mel
Old 06-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
Perhaps you are not aware that dogs, (like most other pets and children), can be trained?
Mine are!
BTW, I have even trained gold fish to swim away from a pencil when one is stuck into their water habitat. :-)
Mel
My wife has trained me to do whatever she wants by threatening to stick a pencil in my eye
Old 06-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbuskirk View Post
After countless attempts of scolding our dogs for dashboard lounging DH and I came up with an easy solution. We purchased a painters drop cloth and inserted 4 small cup hooks into the sidewalls to fasten the grommets. We just simply unhook the passenger side grommets when we are traveling and fold the cloth behind the drivers seat. When we stop for any length of time it takes 2 seconds to attach it into position. Saves me from constantly cleaning the windows and also the constant worry of the dogs accidentally ripping the draperies.
Good idea, Kim. Thanks for sharing. I have cleaned more than my share of doggie nose prints off the windshield. Our pup loves to survey the campground from his dashboard sentry post.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:26 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Funny I thought it was their job to look out windows watch for our return and make intricate nose art while waiting.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccsix View Post
Funny I thought it was their job to look out windows watch for our return and make intricate nose art while waiting.
And don't forget those drool dribbles on the dashboard on a warm day.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:52 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I had that problem with my college roommate's cat always getting on the sofa. Here's how I fixed it:

Went to the dollar store and bought 100 old fashioned snap mouse traps (packs of ten / 1.00)
Set them all and placed them all over the couch. Took the Sunday newspaper and carefully layered a few layers over the top of the set mouse traps, then let in the cat, grabbed a beer, sat down, and waited for the action.

After we peeled the cat off the ceiling, he never went near the couch again. The newspaper made sure the cat didn't get snapped and possibly hurt, and also made the traps all set off in a spectacular chain reaction.

I have used this method with a dog too, worked just as well but was not quite as entertaining.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #11

I just lock my dog in the bathroom. Keeps her off everything but the bathroom floor.....
Old 06-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HicksRA View Post
I just lock my dog in the bathroom. Keeps her off everything but the bathroom floor.....
If we did that, there wouldn't be any paint (or imitation wood) left on the bottom of the door.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
Mine are!
Mel
Thanks for the slap on the hand...lol. I have reprimanded her many times after the fact but the problem is she never goes up there while we are inside with her. She waits for awhile and then sneaks up when we are out of sight. I also worry about her nails puncturing the vinyl. As far as greeting us....waiting at the door is just fine!
Old 06-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
I had that problem with my college roommate's cat always getting on the sofa. Here's how I fixed it:

Went to the dollar store and bought 100 old fashioned snap mouse traps (packs of ten / 1.00)
Set them all and placed them all over the couch. Took the Sunday newspaper and carefully layered a few layers over the top of the set mouse traps, then let in the cat, grabbed a beer, sat down, and waited for the action.

After we peeled the cat off the ceiling, he never went near the couch again. The newspaper made sure the cat didn't get snapped and possibly hurt, and also made the traps all set off in a spectacular chain reaction.

I have used this method with a dog too, worked just as well but was not quite as entertaining.
Ramblin
I've used mouse traps under newspaper to successfully train cats to stay off of furniture.....(cats quickly learn were not to go).
It works for dogs as well., however they usually also learn that any/every, piece of paper they see is to be feared, (including junk mail, magazines and catalogs). LOL