Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-04-2009, 06:41 AM   #15
With minor exceptions, I'd have to disagree that old tires were better. This is similar to the myth that "cars used to be much better" They weren't and neither were rubber compounds. It is possible that some early tires used a thick bladder of highly impermeable elastomer (buytl or similar) and did hold air well, but today's tires are very good in this respect. Note also that older cars were lighter in many cases.
With respect to cracking, it requires two things; age hardening and then flexing. Believe me, they aged, but may not have been flexed, other than thermally, while setting. That said; I've noted the opposite in that older tires were much more prone to cracking than todays tires are.
Another possibility is that the car was stored in a closed space (near zero air circulation), and protected from sunlight (UV). If the climate was cool, the old tire would last very well and todays tires almost indefinitely. As a matter of interest, we package rubber products in an air tight black polyethylene cover for shipment and storage and strongly recommend cool storage for just these reasons. Indeed Exxon (Atlas Brand), and perhaps others, used to wrap tires for, I presume, the same reasons.

Ernie n Tara

Remember! Life is not a rehearsal!
Ernie n Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2009, 08:24 AM   #16
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing I'm not sure was mentioned.. Tires like to be driven upon, (Or towed upon) that is they are designed and intended to be rolling, rolling, rolling, not sitting, sitting, sitting.

One of the more interesting things I've seen is a covered spare on a van go bad faster than the service tires on the road.. Why.. It was not rolling rolling rolling.

As the tire flexes, under load, rolling down the road, essential oils are released onto the surface of the tire that help to protect it from the elements.

Or so the experts tell me.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:16 AM   #17
Thanks all for answering the ques and most of what was said I "basicaly" knew but reinforced is good. True the older types (1920-30's) were probably overloaded in the early days as they were adapted from bikes and not compounded as good as todays. I would agree that todays tires are better designed for our uses whereas the older ones were probably not as design specific.

That being said, it appears that the manufacters need to concentrate on making the valves better, 'specially the high press types. (not saying that this is the cure-all). If it were an older unit (have them ) I can expect the leakage from reasons stated but new units should hold air better than a week or 2 (in my mind). Also, I have to admit, I do not cover my small trailers tires (of which there are 4 (2 motorcycle (mc) travel behinds {personal gear haulers} & 2 mc haulers) so this could be another reason that the tires get like they do. Usually only check the press when going to use them. And if they were hauled around more the tires would probably last longer due to the oils getting "mixed". So, I hope this topic answered some of our questions and assisted with how much care we should give these "donuts-of-the-road" upon which our lives depend upon (OH, and lo pressure can cause fires in the tires - lo press means quicker heat build-up, which, along with other factors can be just as dangerous - pull into the park at nite and just park/goto bed could be an issue. At least check your tire/rim temp with the back of your hand (watch you DO NOT burn your hand) on the tire and hub from a high temp. If you cannot get close to the tire or hub due to heat, stay up and baby sit it till it cools enuff that it will not ignite the tire or grease. This is not so much an issue today as it was back "in the old days" when all it took was a tire on the trailer to get us down the road. Did not care about trailer tire, wether off a truck or car, nor tire rating, just so it held air....

PS: now I know how to make bakelite

Agn, Thanks All!!!!

03 Ram 3500 Cummins Quad, SRW LB - KNUTTY03

Ben Stair is offline   Reply With Quote

tire aging, tire life, tire replacement schedule, tires