Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2015, 02:53 PM   #1

Some help needed with replacing marker lights

We haven't driven at night yet so this really hasn't been an issue, except when I went for an inspection on our 2000 Itasca Suncruiser.
They couldn't get the driver's side marker/ clearance light (amber 4"x 1") to work. They didn't have a replacement bulb so they told me to get a new bulb (which I did the same day), passed the inspection, and sent me on my way. On the other side its lens is split in half and leaks (it was filled with dirt), but they didn't notice that. Trying to match the good lens is nearly impossible, so I'm going to replace both lights completely.

Here's my problem. There are two white wires attached to each old light. I'm thinking this is because it is in an in-line series with one wire coming in and one wire going out to the next light in the series, but I'm probably way off base with that assumption. Any replacement lights I've found at Mondo Wally have only one black wire. Is there a different configuration light I should be looking for? Or, if not how would I wire the single black wire on the new light to the other two wires left from the old lights?

Thanks all.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2015, 05:29 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
wires

if only one whit wire to each light wire just hook them up i doubt they are in series as if one bulb burns out all the rest will also go out . Mike
Old 06-09-2015, 06:04 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There should be a number on the old lens. A good NAPA auto store should be able to find you one.

The new lights probably get their ground from the mounting screw. If on a non conductive service, run a new wire from the screw for the second wire.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:58 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The existing lights have 2 wires, one + and one for ground. Color of the wiring on those particular lights makes no difference. With an Incandescent lamp, it doesn't matter which way the current flows. The new lights you are looking at with one wire are designed to be mounted on a grounded metal body or frame part. The ground is provided by the mounting screw. The one wire is hooked to the hot wire (+). You should find that further on into the coach the existing lamps are spliced into body wiring - probably using some sort of crimp on terminal or possibly a scotchlock connector. At that point you should notice the colors of the wires are different. One is probably white, the other could be any color - maybe a color (possibly green). The non-white wire should be the hot wire. You can verify that with a voltmeter or test lamp.

You can use a one wire lamp but you will have to add a ground wire somehow to hook to the white ground wire of the coach since your coach is fiberglass and cannot provide a ground path through the body.

When I used a single wire lamps for a side marker, I actually drilled a small hole thru the base of the light, and passed a wire with a ring terminal thru the hole. The ring terminal then mounted under the mounting screw, and I hooked the other end that came out the back of the light to the ground wire. Essentially you have to convert it to a 2-wire lamp. Be sure and put a dab of sealer around the wire where it comes out the hole you drill. Hope this helps.
jt

Edit-Wasn't thinking - this is not the Newmar area. Have no idea what color wire the hot wire will be in your coach. I think Newmars are green.
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:25 PM   #5

I'm kinda glad nobody replied to my now embarrassing cry for help. I should have been more judicious with this wonderful resource we all have - US! I was just being impatient and hoping for a quick fix reply when I think I could have figured it out and done it anyway after a little more thought. That black wire is only a ground. Duh.

Anyway, I just ordered a bunch of LED replacement lights for interior and exterior. So I figured I'd just ask the folks at M4 LED Products for some guidance. Steven said he would send instructions, and if need be, walk me though it when I got my new lights. They sure are nice folks.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:29 PM   #6

I just read your replies with help. Makes sense now that it was explained. Thanks to RedTail, RGVTexan, HarleyJT, and all who might reply subsequent to this.

Tags
light, lights