Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2016, 12:49 PM   #1

Some outlets not working

strange problem. Half my outlets stopped working and I had it checked and they said all was ok but possible inverter problem but did not have time to change inverter. Had another electrician check it later and he said inverter was not the problem. Now the half of the outlets that did not work are working and the other half are not working. Is there some switch that could be bad? everything works on shore power and with generator on.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2016, 01:03 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
Check your inverter for a reset button or fuse reset on it.
Some of your outlets work direct from your load center and others will be off a load center wired out of your inverter.
The links below in my signature will help you also Tech Info, RV Appliances and QT's # 3 has inverter/converter section with info for you.
Enjoy the forums and safe travels.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 01:05 PM   #3

The inverter only powers some of the outlets. If all of the outlets work off the Generator and from shore power I think it is working like it is suppose to
Old 10-01-2016, 03:43 PM   #4

why would the outlets that did not work all of a sudden work and the other outlets that were working not work??
Old 10-01-2016, 05:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by don labourr View Post
why would the outlets that did not work all of a sudden work and the other outlets that were working not work??
Maybe a GFCI got tripped while fixing the other outlets. People touch things when troubleshooting.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:11 PM   #6

Without knowing and or testing how your rig is wired it is hard to tell. If this was a house application I would say that you have a bad junction point or possibly bad GFCI's. However RV's can have much more complex setups. I would say do some trail and error attempts of isolating the behavior. Turing on and off the 12v system/inverter. On and off shore/gen power. On and off breakers and set/reset any internal GFCI's. Doing this might help you to isolate the area of issue and find your problem.

Finding odd electric issues is often a process of elimination.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:54 AM   #7

The problem is almost always a reset button on your inverter or a triped GFI. Coach builders sometimes hide GFI plugs in a cabinet or outside bin. Sometimes the offending GFI is in plain sight.

Usually a GFI reset will fix the problem but I have had GFI's fail and I had to replace the outlet.

Safe travels. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:52 AM   #8

GFICs are all good. Is there a clue since the working/nonworking outlets switched?
Old 10-02-2016, 10:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by don labourr View Post
GFICs are all good. Is there a clue since the working/nonworking outlets switched?
In your other post you said they switched after you did something? Did you retrace your steps of what you did? Specifically what did you do when they switched?
Old 10-02-2016, 10:20 AM   #10

nothing. it just happened after 3 month storage. the original problem also occurred after storage.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:28 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unless you have a whole coach inverter, it powers only some outlets, TVs, sound systems, maybe the fridge. It looks like you have a GFI problem to me...they usually control outlets on one side of the coach. I have one in the bathroom and one under a counter extension in the kitchen area, the last one I didn't even know I had for a long time, just never noticed it. Just a thought, unlike a house, outlets are not connected to circuit breakers in a panel, but maybe yours is different?
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:00 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
GFI tripped, sometimes they are located in another room (stringed). Best of luck.

NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote