Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2012, 06:41 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkate View Post
X2!
Jimkate: I thoroughly agree with you on this idea. I have brought this up on a number of forums and it generated little interest. I don't know why, it seems so logical. I suppose some places would have site length restrictions on this arrangement, but most of those I have been on would handle this configuration just fine. It could be a problem if you stop over night and had a tow on behind. Still I would like to see it as an option.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2012, 08:52 AM   #58

The big box would become a tube with nothing to keep it square.I think the wracking would cause a lot of binding.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Hmmm....where to start......

As stated. a rear slide would be bad news. Racking, weight, cg changing, wiring, ouch my head hurts........

Many design choices are not engineering or designer decisions, the problem tends to be marketing and sales. Oh, and cost reduction. You would not believe the crap we deal with everyday. If only the laws of physics could be rewritten.........

R&D cost money and most businesses and consumers, don't understand that or don't want to, so the cheapest way out is copy. If a design sells well, just make minor changes and tada! All your work is done, marketing, consumer testing, all sorts of stuff. Why do you think there are lot's of Homedepot's and Lowes so close together? All the research has been done by one of the companies. Same in engineering and design.

Cost reductions are constantly being done, and I'm sure that's why you don't see a lot of fairings and other drag reducing measures. Material costs! Mold changes cost!

If you look at whats under most beds, you'll mechanical systems or access to something. While murphy beds have been used in the past and still are in some cases, there are mechanical systems that cost money and need to be maintained. Maybe they could be an option. That wouldn't be a bad idea, but I don't think you'll see that standard.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe that the Fleetwood Storm has a rear slide for the 2011 model year. I remember seeing a rear slide when we were shopping last fall.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
Carolina Campers
You're right......

It does on one model, but it's a very short slide out and not much height to it. I think everyone is talking about a 3' to 5' slide out. Atleast that's what I'm getting out of it.....
Old 04-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #62

How about we look at it the other way and start taking out things we don't need that add weight and complexity?
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
I'd like 5o see more attention paius to ergonomics, especially in tthe cockpit. In my knight, thr vointtols for the jacks fall right at hand. Tthe trans, i have to reach. The icc flash switch, fugetaboutit!
Old 04-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #64

Here is an idea I would like to see.
A second story would be great for a bit more living space or maybe sleeping space. The use of murphy type beds or fold out couches would make for some nice extra space. Could be used as a large dining area.
For those that tour the NASCAR circit would appreciate the top level patio.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Idea.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	19888
Old 04-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
How about we look at it the other way and start taking out things we don't need that add weight and complexity?
I believe that's called a Class C?
Old 04-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Carolina Campers
If you did that more like Will Smith's trailer, it might work....
Old 04-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #67

Nor'easters Club
I REALLY Like this thread!!! Most of the articles I write are about improvements and new technology to replace older inefficient or outdated items and systems. So much of the RV industry revolves around "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" It's sad, that so much PROVEN new technology is out there and could really improve the RV'ing experience and isn't being used.

I've got 22 articles and growing (1 each week) that deal specifically (for the most part!) about these types of things.

I understand economics, and economies of scale. It's why most RV appliances are from 2 or 3 manufacturers and haven't really changed ion a LONG while.

Change=Fear. I've always believed change can be a good thing if you research beforehand and have a good knowledge of the up and downsides of the change itself.

Sure, adding many of these would be new and different.....but bad? Naaaahhhhh.

A while back I did an article about LCD window treatments. I found that they are a bit pricey when buying small quantities since the manufacturing in small quantities is always expensive. Technically, it would work quite well. They require power to be transparent and can be applied to existing windows. Right now, figure $90.00 a square foot installed. Could get pretty pricey! In large quantities, say from an OEM RV manufacturer that could come down in a hurry. Just like most products.

I'm working on a solar thermal system to supplement my existing 6 Gallon Atwood Electric/Propane water heater. If I had hot (or warmer) water to start with I would use less Propane and/or electricity. Seems like a no brainer. Especially given that small tube solar thermal "rolls" are already being manufactured! An they are inexpensive!

I get frustrated when I cannot get a manufacturer to understand that the RV marketplace, while a "niche" at best is a good viable commercial market. Build it and they will come. I'm STILL working on Lead Acid battery replacements made from Lithium Phosphate cells. They have come down in price DRAMATICALLY, but no one seems interested in building them for the RV market. Electric car hobbyists....sure....RV'ers.....nope.

Believe me, I will keep knocking on their doors and letting know they are leaving money on the table. Under served markets represent profit waiting to happen.

I'll keep figuring out new ways to do old things and new things to do. I love my RV and want it to continue on. If that means a going to some kind of electric drive in the future, or fuel cells....so be it!

Collectively we have a voice, individually we tend to be ignored!

Let me know what you think. Let me know what you WANT!

Rich "The Wanderman"
Wanderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #68

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes
Here is an idea I would like to see.
A second story would be great for a bit more living space or maybe sleeping space. The use of murphy type beds or fold out couches would make for some nice extra space. Could be used as a large dining area.
For those that tour the NASCAR circit would appreciate the top level patio.
That could be a slide up not slide out!

I would love to see a kayak rack that you could simply stand the kayak against the back and it would lift to the roof(flat) then be secure. Not electric as that stuff breaks, something mechanical.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #69

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
They make tankless water heaters for Motor homes.. When/IF the Attwood in my coach ever fails.. I'm going to seriously consider them.
My parents ordered a KenKraft TT in 1958 (yah, over 50 years ago), that was one of the things they specified. Of course it was a european apartment one and not designed for RV's but it worked fine.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #70

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
That could be a slide up not slide out!

I would love to see a kayak rack that you could simply stand the kayak against the back and it would lift to the roof(flat) then be secure. Not electric as that stuff breaks, something mechanical.
They made a Type A MH like that a few years ago. Had a staircase inside and you had to go up and fold up the railings, seats and awning. Guess it didn't sell very well though.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote