Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2010, 06:59 PM   #1

Some things I'd like to see in MH's

You can agree or disagree and you can add to the list. I made up some simple categories for my want list.

CONVENIENCE- BOSE ACTIVE SUSPENSION SYSTEM
THIS DESERVES A LINK:

CONSERVATION-RECYCLE GREY WATER DOUBLE USE TOILETS

ENERGY- AIR TO AIR HEAT EXCHANGER

POWER- 240/120 VOLT GENERATORS STANDARD-SLOW SPEED (1800 RPM) MODELS

ENERGY- DOUBLE "PANE"/PLASTIC ROOF VENTS

ENERGY- THERMAL BREAKS ALL WINDOW and DOOR FRAMES

CONSERVATION- WHEEL SKIRTS REAR WHEELS

CONSERVATION / APPEARANCE- HIDDEN WIPERS

CONSERVATION- TURBOCHARGERS ON SMALLER ENGINES

CONSERVATION- FUEL MANAGEMENT SYSTEM WITH CYLINDER CUTOUT

CONVENIENCE- USABLE ROOF RACKS CLASS A'S

ENERGY- ELECTRIC RADIANT FLOOR HEATING

CONSERVATION- TANKLESS/INSTANT HOT WATER

CONSERVATION- AERODYNAMIC ENHANCEMENTS MOLDED INTO BODY

CONSERVATION- FULLY STREAMLINED FRONT

CONVENIENCE- ELECTRICALLY HEATED FRONT GLASS (WHEN PARKED!)

CONSERVATION- LOGIC CONTROLLED CRUISE CONTROL VS SPEED
CONTROLLED --INTEGRATED WITH FUEL MANAGEMENT SYSTEM

CONSERVATION- AMBIENT LIGHT VARIABLY CONTROLLED LIGHTING

ENERGY/CONVENIENCE- MAGNETIC INDUCTION COOKTOPS

CONVENIENCE- ELECTRICALLY TINTED PRIVACY GLASS
Electric Glass, variable tint and room darkening glass for conference rooms, commercial, and residential applications,

Add to it, pick on it or comment on it, the list that is.

WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2010, 07:17 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Nice list ... Sounds like you need to go to Newell and have them do their custom thing for you ...after you've driven it about 15-20 years maybe I can afford to buy it from you!!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:07 AM   #3

I don't even want to contemplate the cost to the end user for these very nice mod's.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:14 AM   #4

Let me check my Lotto ticket again.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:24 AM   #5

Quite a wish list. Those on your list which I think would add the best ROI are the tankless waterheater and the double pane skylights.
The WH on our unit is under the bed..a bad place to keep a hot thing..If ever it goes bad I will look into a tankless. I would suppose there are higher end RV that use them now??..I know there are smaller units for homes and buildings for under sink use but believe those are 220V electric.
Our only skylight is above the shower and allows a tall guy like me to stand upright if I were to use the shower..which I don't as we use the CG showers so for AC conservation this summer I used a home window plastic product to form an inner barrier.
I've also wondered why so many MH punch a huge hole in the air as though no thought is given to moving thru the atmosphere efficently. Wondered same thing for semi's. I am not schooled on aerodynamics so perhaps they operate better than they look. Daydreamed often of coming up with an inflatable/expandable system for both to enhance this aspect which could be employed when on the open road.
Our rooftop is a mishmash of things to create drag..the A/C unit, a 15 cubic ft Coleman Packmaster, assorted vents...each has some aspect of aerodynamics but combined the airflow across the top must be inefficent.

Neat list. Thanks for posting.
Kountry87Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:44 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountry87Air View Post
Quite a wish list. Those on your list which I think would add the best ROI are the tankless waterheater and the double pane skylights.
The WH on our unit is under the bed..a bad place to keep a hot thing..If ever it goes bad I will look into a tankless. I would suppose there are higher end RV that use them now??..I know there are smaller units for homes and buildings for under sink use but believe those are 220V electric.
Our only skylight is above the shower and allows a tall guy like me to stand upright if I were to use the shower..which I don't as we use the CG showers so for AC conservation this summer I used a home window plastic product to form an inner barrier.
I've also wondered why so many MH punch a huge hole in the air as though no thought is given to moving thru the atmosphere efficently. Wondered same thing for semi's. I am not schooled on aerodynamics so perhaps they operate better than they look. Daydreamed often of coming up with an inflatable/expandable system for both to enhance this aspect which could be employed when on the open road.
Our rooftop is a mishmash of things to create drag..the A/C unit, a 15 cubic ft Coleman Packmaster, assorted vents...each has some aspect of aerodynamics but combined the airflow across the top must be inefficent.

Neat list. Thanks for posting.
Don,

They have tankless water heaters that run on gas/propane as small as a suitcase that fits in the overhead compartment on an airplane. It's just not capable of handling a washing machine or dishwasher while you are taking a shower. I have used one in a disaster relief trailer for washing dishes and providing hot water for cooking.

Some mhs have heat/air in the basement that keeps the top somewhat aerodynamic. Ours has a fiberglass cap on the front that reduces the drag on the front a/c. Don't know why they didn't go ahead and extend it the full length.

Maybe that new Chinese company will come up with some of the things that are listed on Woodydel's wish list that won't cost an arm and a leg. Although, I wouldn't want to take a stab at how the quality of workmanship will be.

Dave
Old 10-06-2010, 07:13 AM   #7

Many of those items are already available on high end coaches as they are much more expensive than what is currently installed in our 'mainstream' coaches.

Tankless propane RV water heaters are available. Had one in our previous Bounder. They are about $1200 all in. Decided just not worth the $$ to do it again on this coach and converted to a high temp tank with external mixing valve. Much cheaper and more HW than we can use now. Yes, we use our shower. One of the major reasons we wanted a large RV was to avoid CG showers and restrooms. Electric tankless are a no go for RV use due to power demands.

Electric heat and cooking is fine if you have 50a connections and a LARGE gen set. Not so good if you boondock much (we use ours at race tracks frequently so no connections). Propane and diesel radiant floor heating are used on some high end coaches. Its heavy and expensive.

Wish list for more efficient power plants is a sure bet. I think we all would want that. The grey water flush for the toilet is a good idea that could be added to an existing coach. Would need a pump and some plumbing.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:15 AM   #8

A chauffeur.
lostagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:41 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
My wife's Cadillac had the active suspension shock absorbers. $1200 apiece to replace. Hmmmm. Wonder what they would cost for one large enough for a MH?
Mageksl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:07 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
The wishlist is great,, just as soon as we win the lottery

However, about the "on demand" water heater, I have one that I purchased at Lowe's. I use it when bathing and grooming the poodles. It plugs into a regular 110 outlet, and you set the thermostat as to the temp for it. Not in use, no use of electric. It recovers very fast. I have a 10 gal one and they are reasonably priced. Just hook it to your inlet cold water line.. and then the outlet to the hot water line. I really like it.
I will get one for the house when the current one goes out.

"Travlin with a song and prayer"
Me n Slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:11 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
How does an "on demand" WH that plugs into 110v and has a 10 gal tank differ from the standard 10 gal 110v Atwood WH I have in my MH? ...did I miss something in the description?
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:39 AM   #12

I would like to see aerodynamic improvements. The attention to this has been close to zero in the past. The flat front on Class A MHs and the flat rear are problems as are the ACs and vents on the roof, and the stuff underneath. A second way to enhance fuel economy is to reduce weight, which is a designissue. Buyers opt for ever larger MHs with more upscale features and the weight increases and MPG goes down.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:57 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Agree that is a Newell list. Some of the items sound good though. FYI, Winnie roof vents and skylights are double paned. For the roof vents, Fantastic Fans makes a heavier motor for Winnie coaches because the lids are double pane. Never noticed it until fan people told me.

I recently read about a company that is selling a parts kit to do the grey water to black thing, not exactly sure if it was flushing though. I did not save the info because I thought it was quite expensive for the parts kit. He also had a kit that installed behind the shower line to recirculate the water back to the tank until the water was hot. If I can locate the info I will post it if anyone is interested. I was until I saw the price which is above my budget.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:36 PM   #14

Actually there has been some fairly aerodynamic class A mh's in the past such as the Airstream Landyachts, and even my 1988 Winnebago Superchief has a slanted front end. I can't imagine what else they could do with the front end of these rolling apartments without giving up even more interior space or a large false front.. One issue I have with the aerodynamic front ends is that it makes them difficult to wash and wax the front top.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote