Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2014, 09:51 PM   #1

Somebody school me on windshield wipers

So I have a bit of an issue... Went to tighten the nuts securing my wiper arm to the base plate of the wiper system and I snapped off a stud by over tightening an acorn nut!
Now my drivers side wiper is useless until I can replace the base plate which has the stud integrated into it. Coach is a 1992 country coach affinity and I can't exactly read the wiper motor labels other than being able to make out "United technologies electric systems."

So can anyone provide insight as to where I might source this part? Do I have to by a complete new assembly/motor? Are these generally universal on standard class a applications? Perhaps a commercial truck service center could help me? I'm needing to get this fixed ASAP as I plan to leave on a trip within a couple days..... I figure that worst case scenario, I could steal parts from the passenger side for the time being to stay operational.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-348921750.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	58598

Name:	image-1111414781.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	453.0 KB
ID:	58599

Name:	image-109070930.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	460.1 KB
ID:	58600

Name:	image-2682442406.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	442.3 KB
ID:	58601
Ron Burgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2014, 10:54 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Try this place. They carry a lot of wiper parts.

Utilimaster Wiper Parts with Dual In-Cab Motors

Look at item # D
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post

Look at item # D
I remember those on a champion brand inner city transit bus. I went thru many untell I made steel plates with a welded stud for the small arm pivot. I also machined the wiper small arm to take a sealed bearing.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:06 PM   #4

Sorry I now see the shaft from the wiper crank is broken! See link above that mgscott recommends
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post

Look at item # D
Mgscott for the win! Thank you thank you thank you! I'm going to order immediately.

Couple of follow up questions while I have the attention of the wiper experts:

1).the reason I was trying to tighten in the first place was because the arm had some slop in it and was going beyond the acceptable range and slamming against the windshield gasket.... Are there other adjustments that I need to look into or simply just tighten the retaining nuts (being careful not to over tighten and break a stud of course!)

2) On the driver side specifically, the pressure against the windshield is inadequate hence the windshield doesn't wipe clean and consistently. Methinks the Spring in the arm has weakened over time and needs to be replaced... Just order an entire new arm from the website referenced above? Assuming it would include the spring?
Old 03-19-2014, 05:09 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On mine the wiper arm was week and bent easily, I found the whole assembly made by Denso heavy duty, and in stock at a local parts house. about $75. Really simple to replace.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:16 AM   #7

Try these folks.http://www.rometruckparts.com
Shell925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:46 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
AM Equipment Windshield Wiper Systems & Durable DC Motors
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
So I have a bit of an issue... Went to tighten the nuts securing my wiper arm to the base plate of the wiper system and I snapped off a stud by over tightening an acorn nut!
Now my drivers side wiper is useless until I can replace the base plate which has the stud integrated into it. Coach is a 1992 country coach affinity and I can't exactly read the wiper motor labels other than being able to make out "United technologies electric systems."

So can anyone provide insight as to where I might source this part? Do I have to by a complete new assembly/motor? Are these generally universal on standard class a applications? Perhaps a commercial truck service center could help me? I'm needing to get this fixed ASAP as I plan to leave on a trip within a couple days..... I figure that worst case scenario, I could steal parts from the passenger side for the time being to stay operational.

Attachment 58598

Attachment 58599

Attachment 58600

Attachment 58601
It seems that I repaired something like this on an old coach once and if I remember correctly, I drilled in the center and tapped it. Then installed a screw with a washer and some locktite. Stayed that way until I sold it and probably is still intact.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
This is great! Actually ordered from these guys today! Added bonus is that they are in Jefferson Oregon (about 10 mins away from where I live). I called their phone and was able to talk through my replacement part and ordering, plus they invited me to come by and go over any questions about wipers and get my hands on any replacement parts I may need! Hope somebody else can benefit from seeing this thread ordering from AM Equipment.... Good folks!!
Old 05-14-2014, 02:13 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
How do you adjust the travel of the wipers on a Georgia Boy? When they stop are way to low and when they are across windshield they are not far enough. I have stood on my head trying to figure this out. Is it on the motor?
flangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:54 PM   #12

Most of the time, you have to remove the wiper and reposition it on the mount. There is no swing adjustment, and this is a trial and error until you get it where you want it. If you have lots of wear in the linkage, you'll want to be sure to test it with a wet windshield.
DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:24 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
You need a new pantograph adapter.
See 230 Pantograph Adapters : AM Equipment
Wdebarmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:11 PM   #14

Since we're on the subject of wipers. Anyone know where you can find replacement washer hose. I went the the auto store and bought some but it's O.D is too big to insert into the body of the wiper arm. I attached new hoses to the outside with cable ties but would like to find the correct hose.
Don and Barb is offline   Reply With Quote