Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-03-2010, 06:28 AM   #1
Sound deadening on class A gas.

What products or ideas have people used to sound insulate their class A gas motorhome to cut down on engine noise? Thanks.

2004 Thor Mandalay 38B
Stump Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2010, 06:43 AM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
If you are talking about in the engine compartment becareful of adding more material in that area. If you do find room there. Use only heat/fire resistant insulation. It comes with an aluminum foil look on one side.

Once you get away from the heat/fire danger area, you can buy sheets of sterafoam in various thicknesses at Home Depot or Lowes. It can be glued on for additional soundproofing.

David & Gail Salisbury, NC
2003 American Eagle 42'
denochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:57 AM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Originally Posted by Stump Jumper View Post
What products or ideas have people used to sound insulate their class A gas motorhome to cut down on engine noise? Thanks.

Here is an old thread about using foil backed insulation for the engine cover. I think the stuff we bought was purchased from Summit Racing but not for sure. It does cut down the noise and heat. It covers a Ford V10 but could apply to any make.
Ford V10 Doghouse Insulation
04 Newmar DSDP 4015-Cummins ISL 370hp-Spartan MM Chassis-2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed-Ready Brute Elite Towing System-FMCA 402879-SKP 120487
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To deaden or dampen the sound, it needs to be a dense material. Get something that is specifically rated as sound deadening and not some of the bubble stuff fro insulation.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #5
Workhorse Chassis Owner
West Marine has noise and heat insulating material made for engine compartments. The site is HERE.
Clay WA5NMR - Ex Snowbird - 1 year, Ex Full timer for 11 years - 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Honda Accord toad.
Clay L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:10 AM   #6
"Engine noise" is pretty general and has many sources. Does additional insulation in one area help when there are so many sources? My front area is pretty quiet except during hard acceleration. But when the main cooling fan cuts in, then the noise level really goes up and I don't know if anything would reduce that since you have an open front and grill. I want a gas pusher, but that will have to wait until I hit the lottery.
'09 Pleasure Way Lexor, Chevrolet Express 3500 chassis, 6.0L V8
Last RV, 2005 NRV Dolphin 5342 (2007-2014)
two2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:41 PM   #7
I have a 95 Winnebago Adventurer with a Chevy 454. That thing was so loud when it down shifted going up hill, I couldn't talk to the passenger or hear the radio. I took the cover off the dog house and drove down the road to see what was making so much racket. I found that most of the noise was from the air breather. The engine is the old throttle body carburetor. I purchased some sound deadening material from JC Whitney. It looks like a heavy mat. You peel off some paper on one side and stick it to the air breather. It has held up well, even with some very high temperatures in that engine compartment.

The idea is, to dampen the sound where it originates, rather than try to isolate it with sound proofing. Pull the cover off the dog house and have someone drive it down the road. You will soon figure out what is making the noise
Mike Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:12 AM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Stump Jumper View Post
i bought an engine insulation blanket kit from jc whitney about 2.5 yrs ago and installed it on the underside of the doghouse. it lowers the noise and heat level a lot. i cannot feel the heat anymore at all. there was enough material in the kit so i double layered it on the top where it was flat.
the material is holding up well.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:50 PM   #9
Thanks for all of the advise. I'm going to try to insulate the "dogbox" and then see if I need to do anything else.
2004 Thor Mandalay 38B
Stump Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:44 AM   #10
Years ago I purchased a 4'x7' roll of t\he vinyl/foam/vinyl/foam/vinyl layered insulation over 1" thick for cheap from
RV Surplus.
It comes and goes at their warehouse so call if it's not in the catalog. I happned to be there when they had a bunch laying around. I installed it with 3M spray adhesive and aluminum sticky back duct tape and it's still on there protecting from heat and noise. There were portions of the doghouse that I could layer it twice and I did with the excess. It's time consuming cutting and trimming to fit well around angles but worth it. Mine took about 4 hours to do it right.
2004 Damon Daybreak 2960 V-10---2005 Honda Element pusher
Happily RV'n since 1970
expo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:20 AM   #11
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have done this to my Fleetwood Southwind 8.1 WH chassis. I lined the whole engine compartment and the underside of the dash which you can see from under the front hood/windshield area. The stuff I used is called B-Quiet. B-Quiet is like Dynamat, but cheaper and has a higher temp rating. I found at least a 50% sound drop and when the fan clutch and duel electric fans turned on. I could still hear them, but it was as loud as what you would here in you pick-up truck or car. I also felt about a 25% drop in heat on the floor of the coach. B-Quiet has a few different sound deadening materials. The one I used and was suggested to use by B-Quiet is called B-Quiet Ultimate. For a 50 ft roll it was $130. I did not use all 50 ft. I used about 35-40 feet. I have since used this stuff to insulate around the water pump and it has cut down on the vibration and pulsing sound a bit. If I could have pull the carpet up in the drivers area without ruining it, I would have and line the whole floor with it. Also all B-Quiet material is self adhesive so there is no glue or sprays to use. Pull the backing off and stick it to what ever you want.

By far insulating the engine compartment with B-Quiet has been the best investment I have made. Before when the fans kicked on it sounded like a jet plane was taking off. Now it is much, much more bearable. Also this stuff is very sticky and I do not worry about it falling off and causing a fire, plus I dont think it would burn anyways. Check out B-Quiet's website and see if this is what your looking for.

B-Quiet sound deadening material

dezertcamper is offline   Reply With Quote