Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2015, 03:48 PM   #1

Sound deadening the Hump

The engine noise coming thru the interior compartment cover has always been a nuisance when accelerating or going over mountains. Our 2013 Bounder seems to pass muster on level ground however....Has anyone found a reasonable way to deaden this noise level ???????.
I did Google the term an come across a NASA formulated product called Thermablock 3/8" thick for heat and Acoustablock 1/8" thick for noise that is made in Tampa, Fla. The spokesperson there suggested a 4' X 5' sheet to lay over the dome but under the carpet. Any other suggestions ????
Chuck in Midlothian, Va

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2015, 04:16 PM   #2

I lined the dog house on my bounder with Hush Mat. I don't remember if I got it from Amazon or Autozone. It works very well but is not cheap. It is a self adhesive rubber foam backed foil. They advertise it is good to 400 degrees. I installed it a year ago and was under the engine yesterday and nothing has come loose. It is easy to install just make sure the surface you are applying it to is clean. I used alcohol to clean the surface and cut it with scissors. This installs on the underside of the dog house.
Good Luck.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:58 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Some good info on the subject in this thread.

DogHouse Insulation Done
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:59 PM   #4

I used a product from Amazon.com. It was a metallic foil backed rubber compound. I thoroughly cleaned the engine side of the cover than glued the rubber side to the cover.

The foil reflects the heat. At the same time I removed the carpet which would literally radiate heat. I painted the cover with spray on bed liner. Much nicer, quieter and easier to keep clean.

Now the cover is barely warm to the touch and the engine noise was reduced by 70%. (estimate)

This is what I used. I found that spraying the cover with Scotch 99 adhesive before applying the covering made it instantly stick and stick very well. The covering comes with sticky backing but the 99 really enhances it's adhesion.

http://www.amazon.com/Thermo-Tec-146...63687VX7QVF06C
Old 02-02-2015, 05:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcolorado View Post
I lined the dog house on my bounder with Hush Mat. I don't remember if I got it from Amazon or Autozone. It works very well but is not cheap. It is a self adhesive rubber foam backed foil. They advertise it is good to 400 degrees. I installed it a year ago and was under the engine yesterday and nothing has come loose. It is easy to install just make sure the surface you are applying it to is clean. I used alcohol to clean the surface and cut it with scissors. This installs on the underside of the dog house.
Good Luck.
X2 on the hush mat. Used it all over the cab of our E-450 motorhome. Made a huge difference. It was much quieter and not nearly as hot as before.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:10 PM   #6

FatMat 50 Sq Ft x 80 mil Thick Self-Adhesive RattleTrap Sound Deadener Bulk Pack w/Install Kit

Is what I used, purchased at Amazon. It worked great, it's thick and the adhesive is serious. I did the doghouse and around the doghouse. I did two layers. The difference was night and day. Now we can talk without raising our voice and the downshifts are not the earth shattering mind numbing event they once were.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:15 PM   #7

I've owned several classic vehicles from the 70's and have insulated most of them in an attempt to bring the noise levels comparable to a newer luxury vehicle. The engineering is totally different between a 40 year old vehicle and today's cars/trucks but the insulation did help immensely. The dynamat/hushmat/fatmat etc. are all great products to reduce vibration. There purpose is to add strength/structure to the panel which reduces flexing and vibration. They do add an element of insulation and heat resistance but that is not their primary purpose. To truly reduce the engine and road noise, you need to add a second product layer consisting of a closed neoprene cell layer joined to a mass loaded vinyl. This is what gives you that Cadillac quietness. Then top it off with a layer of foil backed insulation for heat control. Ive done this to the cabs of a few classic trucks as well as my 1979 Ford E350 Class C motorhome. Not only the doghouse but underneath the carpet of the entire cab. I also did a similar job to the inside of the door panels as well as spraying underneath the floorboards with some professional grade undercoating. I swear...all of the old pickups and the Class C motorhome were comparable to driving in a Buick when finished. I also installed new quality door seals as these were 40 year old vehicles but an absolutely amazing difference. I am looking forward to doing something similar to the '97 Aerbus this spring.
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:03 PM   #8

I used the Home Depot version of Dynamat in my Miata as a sound deadener.
Worked great.
It is in the roofing department, same rubber compound lined with foil, just a lot less money.
Stereo guys use it as a Dyna mat substitute
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:54 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I Used Dynamat on my 2005 Winnebago Voyage with and Workhorse chassis. Its easy to trim and install. It's thin and has a high insulation rating and really cuts the noise in the compartment. Since you have the V10 you need all the help you can get. Try Summit Racing. I believe around $95.00 for the kit but it's good stuff that can be used else where.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthe70s View Post
I've owned several classic vehicles from the 70's and have insulated most of them in an attempt to bring the noise levels comparable to a newer luxury vehicle. The engineering is totally different between a 40 year old vehicle and today's cars/trucks but the insulation did help immensely. The dynamat/hushmat/fatmat etc. are all great products to reduce vibration. There purpose is to add strength/structure to the panel which reduces flexing and vibration. They do add an element of insulation and heat resistance but that is not their primary purpose. To truly reduce the engine and road noise, you need to add a second product layer consisting of a closed neoprene cell layer joined to a mass loaded vinyl. This is what gives you that Cadillac quietness. Then top it off with a layer of foil backed insulation for heat control. Ive done this to the cabs of a few classic trucks as well as my 1979 Ford E350 Class C motorhome. Not only the doghouse but underneath the carpet of the entire cab. I also did a similar job to the inside of the door panels as well as spraying underneath the floorboards with some professional grade undercoating. I swear...all of the old pickups and the Class C motorhome were comparable to driving in a Buick when finished. I also installed new quality door seals as these were 40 year old vehicles but an absolutely amazing difference. I am looking forward to doing something similar to the '97 Aerbus this spring.
A follow up from yesterday....Is there a brand name or national supplier for the..... "Closed neoprene cell joined to a mass loaded vinyl" you spoke about???????
Chuck
Old 02-03-2015, 06:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahenry View Post
A follow up from yesterday....Is there a brand name or national supplier for the..... "Closed neoprene cell joined to a mass loaded vinyl" you spoke about???????
Chuck
I have ordered from this company on a few occasions as there prices for the MLV are reasonable. Different thicknesses and options that you can choose from. Soundproofing Floors and Walls – Buy Mass Loaded Vinyl Barrier for Soundproofing

This company also offers options: MLV NOISE BARRIERS - Second Skin Audio

In order to correctly do a vibration dampner and sound barrier, it can get pricey. If you do some research, you will find that the dynamat/hushmat, products do not need to cover the entire surface that you are working on (hump, door, floor, etc.). It only needs to cover about 50% as all it really does is add structure. So this will save you a lot of money. However, with the other layer(s), you do need to completely cover the surface as this layer is where it prevents the airborne sounds. So you need to cover the full surface, holes, and even use aluminum tape to seal the seams. There is a lot of information about this that you can research but again, you will see youtube videos of folks that completely cover every square inch of their floor, door, trunk, etc. with the dynamat type product and totally uncessary. Waste of money. Also, some folks have used a similar product as the dynamat that is found in Home Depot, etc. that is used for roofing as it appears to be comparable and cheaper. Do your research and decide if that is what you want to do as they are not the same product. The roofing product tends to be an asphalt based product that can emit strong odors in hot temperatures and might even "slide" depending upon where you placed it (interior ceiling under the headliner or doors). The other preferred products are a butyl based product and do not emit any odors or slide around. Good luck!
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:42 PM   #12

low cost way is to all so go to a you pull it junk yard and find a newer van and pull most if its DOT safe mat out from under the carpet

some really high end cars come with it installed under the carpet as well for heat and sound
Old 02-03-2015, 07:10 PM   #13

Pretty good DIY
http://www.beamalarm.com/Documents/e...nsulation.html