Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2016, 04:07 PM   #15
YC1

I actually did some acceleration time test after my install. I probably could search the forum and find it but It was measurable. The other thing, for the fastest acceleration up to highway speed, keep the economy button off.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2018, 11:26 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Source Engineering Fan

I know this thread on engine fans is two years old, but I am considering the Source Engineering Fan for my 2005 Meridian Itasca Cat C7 engine. Just wondered if the members in this 2016 thread are still happy with the performance and cooling capability of these fans. Also has anyone installed this in a freightliner chassis with a Cat C7 engine? Thanks Jim
Highhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:00 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Only thing I would watch for is reduced cooling when things are very hot. We've used a couple of similar products for drag racing older motors (where fan was bolted to water pump as opposed to an electric pump as most newer vehicles use.) It will slightly increase horsepower. In the front, it will increase noice since the blades are thinner. And in the middle of the summer it will definitely raise engine temps. You have to give up something to reduce that parasitic drag you speak of. That "something" is air flow.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:29 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Did you check to see if it's offered for your coach. It was designed initially for a Roadmaster chassis (old Monaco chassis). My coach ran exactly the same temps with the new fan as it did with the Source fan.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:58 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes I contacted Source Engineering and they said they can make a fan for my coach. He said they have made fans for several owners of Freightliner chassis with no complaints of inadequate cooling. I am still on the fence on pulling the trigger on this project but hoped to here positive feedback from some owners in these older posts. I sent a few private message queries today to some on this thread who installed fans two years ago. Jim
Highhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 12:19 PM   #20
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Highhood".....Cooling won't be an issue. The only concern you should have is how much power it will return to your coach. The fan doesn't add horsepower, it returns power you lose from turning a large poorly designed fan.

Keep in mind, the smaller the motor and the higher it revs, the fan works better and returns more power. I had the ISL 400 which is a big loping motor, consequently, my return of horsepower was 25HP. In the smaller Cummins ISC, (similar to your C-7) the fan returned 40 HP.

I originally looked at installing an electronic fan (brain farting on the brand) that was computer actuated and only ran when necessary. It claimed a 1/2 mpg increase. As I thought about it, I realized that it would always run when hill climbing. I decided the Source fan would be a better fit.

I did my own install. On my rear radiator coach, I was able to pull the bedroom floor panel and I carefully, using an air wrench, removed the fan bolts, slid the fan off and installed the new one.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, fan