Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2015, 02:06 PM   #1

South Carolina Class F 26,000lb drivers test

Read another thread about a week ago, and was surprised to find out I am driving illegally without the required S.C. class F license. (class E if your not going to tow anything, class F if your going to tow)

Think I have the permit test figured, called today and confirmed it is the same as the standard drivers test, but includes special stuff covered in page 101 to 130 of the standard beginners drivers manual.

Is there anybody here who has gotten this license? (not the permit to practive but the actual license) I have questions, curious as to what is needed in the actual driving test.

Pages 101 through 130 only mention a RV once, most is writted for big trucks, talk of backing to a loading dock, connecting a 5th wheel, safety reflectors in case of breakdowns, etc etc...

Can some one share what the tester actually looked for in a RV test? Equiptment needed etc etc... Need to have safety reflectors? Wheel chocks? Unhooking and hooking of the towed unit?

Thanks, L.

Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2015, 02:13 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's a link to some previous posts that may help.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Sout...com&gws_rd=ssl

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:25 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
I took mine in Greenwood last December. the road test was about the same as a CDL. there was no equipment check but I had all required reflectors, fire ext and chocks, but they were not checked. there was no walk around inspection but you are required to show procedure for air brake testing.

The parking lot part of the test was without the toad. Test was pulling up to a line without going over, backing 100' straight, serpentine and backing up into a 90 degree alleyway to a barricade without touching it. Some are saying they were not allowed to use the camera, I was and did!

The road test with the toad was about 35 to 40 minute ride around Greenwood. Wasn't too bad I guess as I passed! Only thing I missed was not allowing enough room in front of me when stopped in traffic at a light. I thought since they wanted me to stop close to a line then logic was stop about 8 feet from car in front, ...wrong. Leave enough room to pull around if they can't move.

I have heard that each office is different though. Greenwood was not even aware of the E & F class when I went last November to get the permit. Good luck.
2017 Chevrolet 2500HD
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:47 PM   #4

I took the "F" test stuff in Georgetown. Passed the written test one week and passed the driving test the next week.

1. You will need to know all of the pages they specified. There is almost nothing on those pages about RVs.

2. The driving test is in two parts, (1) In the yard and (2) on the road. In the yard is the hardest.

In The Yard (toad disconnected)
1. Vehicle must pass safety inspection look around -- lights, damage, etc.
2. Air brakes, if installed, must be tested as instructed by the tester.
3. Negotiate serpentine route without hitting markers.
4. Back straight for 100 feet without hitting markers.
5. Drive forward and stop on white stripe, looking straight ahead only -- no glancing out the side windows.
6. Back and make a 90 degree turn to a simulated loading dock. Don't touch any markers. This is the hardest part of the test. You get 3 tries.

You can go to the test site after hours (and on Saturday and Sunday) to practice. I highly recommend that you do that. One error and you failed the whole thing and must try again at another date.

Road Test (piece of cake)
Hook up toad and drive as directed by tester (about 20 minutes). Nothing special, just do all the normal safe driving things.

When you pass, just walk into the office and get your new "F" drivers license. You won't be tested again, just normal renewal.

I really thing taking the test for us drivers who had their last drivers license test 50 years ago is a good thing.

Don't sweat it, just do it. You'll be glad you did.

Good Luck!
Wil
wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:13 PM   #5

So is this requirement for SC licensed drivers only?
Old 06-17-2015, 04:05 PM   #6

Tim, this is specific to S.C.. But other states are dong the same. I saw Texas, N.Y. and others.

It is not widely spread news, lots of folks RV'ing and not aware. I wasn't.

S.C. is not documented very well, as said in one of these posts. I called their customer service number, and the agent I got didn't know what a class F is, had to look it up. LOL But then was able to steer me to the right manual, etc etc..

Thanks all, going to try and do my premit test soon.

Oh, I assume each of you that took the test showed up with another driver who had a class F or better? (given the permit does not allow solo driving)

L.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:15 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
I went by myself. I figured as confused as they were about the license if I failed if anything was said I would unhook the toad then come back after hours and pick up the MH!
2017 Chevrolet 2500HD
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:48 PM   #8

I am class C so most likely way under the 26,000# limit, but Class A may be in my future in a few years.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:36 PM   #9

This isn't a direct answer to the question, but I took the test with a 2000 Kountry Star with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs. The Class F license wasn't required for that rig, but the tester let me do the whole thing. She did read the weight sticker in the rig.

There doesn't seem to be any requirement about what vehicle is required for the test, except it has a toad.

Remember that DMV issues the drivers license. They don't enforce the law. They can't give you a ticket. They can't keep you from driving away from their place no matter what license you have. They could keep you from taking the test if you violated some law or regulation.

Law Enforcement gives the tickets, and would be te only agency to do so. From my questions to them, they don't even know about this requirement and would not e concerned with it unless an accident was involved. In such a case they might look into you license type and go from there.

Just get the F license.

Good Luck!
Wil
wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:16 AM   #10

SC Driver Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
Read another thread about a week ago, and was surprised to find out I am driving illegally without the required S.C. class F license. (class E if your not going to tow anything, class F if your going to tow)

Think I have the permit test figured, called today and confirmed it is the same as the standard drivers test, but includes special stuff covered in page 101 to 130 of the standard beginners drivers manual.

Is there anybody here who has gotten this license? (not the permit to practive but the actual license) I have questions, curious as to what is needed in the actual driving test.

Pages 101 through 130 only mention a RV once, most is writted for big trucks, talk of backing to a loading dock, connecting a 5th wheel, safety reflectors in case of breakdowns, etc etc...

Can some one share what the tester actually looked for in a RV test? Equiptment needed etc etc... Need to have safety reflectors? Wheel chocks? Unhooking and hooking of the towed unit?

Thanks, L.
My husband and I realized that we needed to have a license to drive an rv, so we studied the SC Driver Manual, especially pages 93-121. You then take a computerized test of 30 questions of which you need 24 to pass. Some questions refer to fifth wheels and semis in addition to rvs. You have to wait two weeks after the written test to take the skills and driving test. You can practice on the course for the skills test when it is not in use, which I highly recommend. The instructor will walk around the rv and look for lights and tires, ask you to honk the horn and operate wipers. She then had me do the air brake test, guiding me step by step. After the rv passed her inspection, we started the skills test by driving up to a line without looking out side windows. You lose one, two or three points, depending how far you are from the stop line. The you back up 100 feet between two lines, followed by a serpentine move. You can lose points by going outside the lines. (I had a mirror over a line.) Then you must back up into an alley which is a 90 degree turn and stop without hitting the barrier. If you hit it and move it, it is an automatic fail. I used my rear camera. I put my hitch on the line and asked her later and she used the back edge of the rv as the reference point. I would clarify that with the instructor. You can pull up three times to complete this. You can lose 14 points and still pass the skills test. Then you are taken out on the highway. My husband had Interstate, country and city roads. I did not get to the Interstate. You will get left and right turns. I also had to cross railroad tracks several times. You will stop and pull over along the road. Although you don't get out, you should tell them what you should do if you stopped in an emergency such as triangles, chocks,... You can lose up to 25 points and still pass this portion. At the end the instructor tells you if you passed and you go in and get your license. I got the Class F license so my husband and I connected the truck to the rv before I went out for the road test.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:00 PM   #11

Thanks very much for the response. I took the test 2 1/2 weeks ago and passed. My experience was almost exactly the same as yours.

The biggest challenge I ran into was just a lack of understanding what it was by all that processed my permit application and test. This is not widely known, even for those who work for DMV.

I am legal now, and that is good.

L.

Tags
driver, test