Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2014, 01:36 PM   #1

South Carolina Class F Driverís License Work Around

As has been reported before, a Class F driverís license is required for a South Carolina residence who drives motorhomes and towed vehicles with a CGVWR (Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of more than 26,000 lbs. If you require that license and donít have it, you canít legally drive your over 26,000 lb. rig to DMV to take the test unless you have your beginners permit and a Class F licensed driver with more than a year of experience in the front seat.That causes most of us a of a big problem.

I solved my problem by getting my license with my existing less than 26,000 lb. rig before I took delivery of my new over 26,000 lb. rig. But that option isnít available if you discover this requirement with your present over 26,000 lb. rig.I have thought about this problem a lot and think I can suggest a solution.

1. The license is for any combination that weighs more than 26,000 lbs. Ė not just motorhomes.In fact, none of the text or test material refers to motorhomes.The whole thing is geared toward tractor trailers.

2. You donít need an over 26,000 lb. rig to take the test and get the Class F license.

Those two facts provide a way out in my opinion. I donít know for sure since I already have my Class F license and donít want open the issue again with DMV.

I think you can just rent a truck and trailer from someplace like U-Haul and take the test with that rig. Iíd rent a pretty large rig to make it look good.

One very important thing you need to remember is that the employees of DMV only know what they have been taught about their particular job. They know nothing about any other DMV stuff.Because of that, I think Iíd just show up for the driving test with the rented rig and see what happens.

If you do that, make sure you have the rented rigís insurance stuff because DMV will ask for it.

I hope this will help for some faced with this problem.

Good Luck!
Wil

wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2014, 03:31 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

That might work in SC, but I believe that many states require that you take the test in a vehicle which requires the license you're applying for. If you can take the test is a smaller unit, why not use a passenger car?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 04:12 PM   #3

Did you read that I took the test in in a rig that didn't require a Class F license? That proves that in South Carolina you are not required to take the test in an over 26,000 lb. vehicle.

The tester checked the nameplate in my motorhome to be sure I could use it for the test. She indicated that I couldn't use the vehicle for the test if it exceeded 26,000 lbs. CGVWR. In fact the CGVWR was exactly 26,000 lbs. She said that one more pound would stop the test.

I'm telling you facts from my experience and my opinion about a way to solve the problem. You are offering opinions with no indicated facts. That almost always causes problems, and I hope any more comments will be founded in facts, and that opinions will be identified as such.

As written the law means that taking the test is a catch 22 situation, and the only solution is to arrive with a rig that doesn't require a Class F license.

You must have a towed vehicle attached to the driving vehicle to take the road part of the test. A passenger car alone would not meet that requirement. There is nothing in the law that describes just what sort of vehicle is required, but for the Class F license, it must have a towed vehicle attached during the road driving part of the exam.

Keep in mind, travel trailers and 5ers must meet the same requirements so, in principle, some vehicle with any trailer could be used for the test. To be sure, it is all very misty. My post was just to help get it all done with as little trouble as possible. Who knows what DMV will do.

If you had to take the test with a vehicle requiring the Class F license, you would be required to have a Class F license holder with a year of experience in the front seat with you just to drive the rig to the test facility.

My opinion is just meant to be a way out of this pickle. Since I already have my Class F license, I don't have a dog in this fight. I'm just trying to help others.

Good Luck!
Wil
Old 10-12-2014, 06:20 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry. You're absolutely right.

Your thread is about South Carolina and I took it off topic by introducing situations in other states.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:17 PM   #5

If you are correct that other states require taking the test in the over 26,000 lb. rig, then people in those states have a much more severe problem than we do in South Carolina. How do they legally drive the rig to the DMV for the test?

The important thing is to get the information directly from the DMV of the state in question. They may not give you the completely correct answer. This is all a very murky problem that could become very large.

As a case in point about how little the DMV employees know, I asked my tester if the rule to stop the vehicle before the stop line at an intersetion meant stopping before the front of the vehicle was over the line or did it mean before the front tire was over the line.

Her answer was, "It depends on the vehicle." I didn't have the courage to peruse that further because I had already passed my test.

I'm out of here. I leaving in the morning to get my over 26,000 lb. motorhome exchange started with my new Class F driver's license.

Good Luck!
Wil
Old 10-12-2014, 07:46 PM   #6

You could always get your buddy "Jimbob" the truck driver to drop it off and you drove his car. "He just left!" 😎

1997 Tiffen Allegro Bus 37', Cat 3126
Old 10-12-2014, 08:06 PM   #7

I took the written test a month ago and am having trouble getting an appointment for the driving test they told me the earliest would be next month He also told me I have to back my motorhome up to a dock I told him I would never do that and he said if I want my license I would have to.My new motorhome is 38' and the tag says 33,000 lbs but Tiffin says it weights 25,600lbs.What weight do they go by.Will did you used to live in Columbia SC and work for SCE&G?
Old 10-13-2014, 09:28 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
They are going by your GVWR, not your actual weight so that is why there is a difference.

I'm not sure the problem backing up to a dock - really no different than backing into a camping spot or a spot at your storage lot. Explain to the examiner that you are not going to back as far as to actually touch the dock - unless he is willing to pay for the body damage. Use the "range finder" on your backup camera and get it close.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:08 PM   #9

When you are applying for a Class F license in South Carolina, the CGVWR (Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating ) is what they look for. That is printed on a nameplate in your motorhome. You can't escape it. The tester will find it. If that rating is greater than 26,000 lbs., you can't take the test! If it's less, you can take the test -- that's what I did.

It seems that you must take the driver's test in a less than 26,000 lb. CGVWR vehicle or have a Class F license holder with one year experience in the front seat. It ain't pretty.

Good Luke!
Wil

Tags
driver