Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2014, 06:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSJC View Post
Here's what may be an easy suggestion. I'm sure your town, or one close by, has a local bus or school bus company. As suggested earlier, go ahead and take (and pass) the written test. Then inquire with a local bus company about A) taking a paid training course ~ which is an excellent investment, or, if your confident, B) making an arrangement to pay for the services of a trainer to co-pilot you to the DMV test for the driving portion.

I highly recommend taking a behind-the-wheel course, even if it's a school bus (that's longer than 40' or matches the segment your coach falls into). You'll be amazed at how much you learn...and you can learn on their equipment first!

Good luck!

Mark
I agree and think this may be a blessing in disguise. Although the guy I purchased it from insisted on lots of training before I took it home, I still could a better working knowledge of the Class A and its components. I appreciate your advice on the school.

johnnyb24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2014, 06:05 AM   #16

I have just been through the process of getting my Class F driver’s license in Georgetown County South Carolina. South Carolina is not the only state to require a special driver’s license for large RVs.I, like many others, have driven many thousands of miles in a RV with a standard driver’s license.In all those miles, the only time LE checked my driver’s license was when someone else damaged my motor home in a Flying J fuel lane.That was in another state and the LE officer never asked any questions about my driver’s license.

In my experience, most LE officers don’t know anything about RV license requirements and don’t give citations to RVers for improper driver’s license. Be careful, you could be the exception and the citation could be driving without a driver’s license and the penalty could include cash and JAIL TIME.

Here are some facts that are not obvious for the SC RV stuff.

1. DMV and all LE that I have talked to do not weigh or measure any vehicle.When there is a question, they rely on the VIN info printed in every vehicle.In all cases, the Class F license is required for any vehicle where the GVCWR (Gross Vehicle Combined Weight RATING) is greater than 26,000 lbs.The actual weight of the combined rig is immaterial.You can’t do anything to reduce the actual weight of the rig to avoid the rating requirement.

2. You can take the driving test for the Class F license with a RV and toad with a GVCWR of 26,000 lbs. or less.That’s how I got mine.I traded a <26,000 lb. MH for a >26,000 lb MH and took the test in the old MH.

3. DMV can’t give you a traffic ticket.They can only allow or disallow you the opportunity to take the test.LE is the source of traffic violations.

4. Use this forum to find a Class F license holder to go with you the get your test.I live in Pawleys Island SC.My email is wcandrews@sccoast.net.If you need help, email me.

Good Luck!
Wil

wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:15 AM   #17

South Carolina Dilemna

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb24 View Post
Thanks, but I'll get through this. I believe the lady at the DMV misunderstood my question or I asked it incorrectly. I asked if I need a CDL to drive a motorhome, I should have asked what kind of license I need to drive a motorhome. Your point about the insurance company is well taken. I insured it with AAA in SC before I bought it and they never said anything. All said, even if I knew that I needed a special license beforehand, I would have still purchased a motorhome because the wife and I want to try the lifestyle. I just would have made different arrangements to get it home from Florida legally. It's parked now until I get my permit and I'm glad I didn't get into an accident on the way back from Florida....I bet my tight-lipped insurance company wouldn't have made good.

In FL no special license needed for RV. Most dealers have no idea that their is a license upgrade required or assume it's the same as the state it's sold in. But the responsibility falls to the buyer. Only 19 states require an upgraded license either based on length or weight. The confusion is due to the bureaucracy. Most states lump the licenses as non-commercial class ___, what ever the letter. Apparently it's to hard to create a separate RV classification. Never understand why the testers what people to parallel park or back up to loading docks in an RV. It's like they don't think just follow the CDL test. DO NOT TAKE THE TEST with a toad. Good way to damage both or ruin the drivetrains.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:17 AM   #18

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Please see the private message sent. concerning the Class E and F license.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:48 PM   #19

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
Can I get a AMEN!
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2014, 09:18 AM   #20

https://web.sc.gov/DLPracticeExam/RegDL/Exam
Old 11-13-2014, 03:20 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneykrantz View Post
Thanks, that's a great tool. I took the test yesterday and got through it pretty easily with one wrong. I now have my permit and will start to practice a few times a week. I have some tall cones and will set them up like they do at DMV and try the serpentine and backing. The reverse pull into the loading dock may be a little dicey for me, but with practice I should get it.

Thanks again,
JohnnyB
johnnyb24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 05:44 AM   #22

You can go to the testing site anytime they are closed and practice on the actual test site. They are closed all day Saturday and Sundy.

On the test site you will be required to:

1. Inspect the outside of the MH with the inspector.

2. Check all lights.

3. Show your wheel chucks and warning devices (three are requires).

4. Test the air brakes, using the inspector's commands, if you have them.

5. Without the toad, drive the serpentine course without touching any od the cones.

6. Without the toad connected, drive forward and stop at a white line. You must look straight ahead. You can't look out the side windows. You can't allow any part of the MH to be over the line, but must be close to it.

7. You must back 100' in a straight line without crossing the side boundaries. The lane is 15' wide.

8. Back up and make a 90 degree turn into a simulated loading dock. You can't let the rear of the MH touch the rear marker, but the rear wheels must be in a makred rectangle. It's about 2' long.

You can pull up to correct three times, but you can't let any part of the MH cross the far side boundary.

9. If you pass all of that, you'll hook up the toad and do the road test. It's about 45 minutes and about 15 miles long. You will do all of the maneuvers normally done on the road. In addition, you will demonstrate how to make an emergency stop.

The test will stop if you fail any part of it. The test won't continue after that failure. I don't know they reschedule such a test since I passed the first time.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:26 AM   #23

How much does your coach weigh? My Tiffen at 37 ft is less than 26k lbs.

1997 Tiffen Allegro Bus 37', Cat 3126
Old 11-13-2014, 08:30 AM   #24

SC has a few surprises for sure. Our son just transferred from Wash ST. with Boeing and was shocked by having to pay Personal Property Tax on all his cars and other toys.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:24 AM   #25

It isn't the actual weight that matters, it is the weight rating (GVWR or GCVWR). DMV will take that number from the VIN sticker on the coach. They will not weigh the coach or take any weight results you may have from any scale.

You can't do anything to reduce the weight rating. If the weight rating exceeds 26,000 lbs. for the type of rig (MH no toad, Class E, MH with toad, Class F) you have, you must get the special license.

Wil
Old 11-13-2014, 11:35 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rssnape View Post
How much does your coach weigh? My Tiffen at 37 ft is less than 26k lbs.

1997 Tiffen Allegro Bus 37', Cat 3126
The Tiffin archives go back to 2005. That archive shows a 38 ft. Bus to have GVWR of 32,000 lbs., but as delivered, it weighs about 25,000 lbs. That coach will require the driver to have the special license.

I will be very surprised if your 1997 Bus has a GVWR that is 26,000 lbs. or less.

Wil
Old 11-13-2014, 11:47 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Have any friends who are Over The Road Semi-Truck Drivers... Good chance they will qualify as a "Training Co-Pilot".

Option 2: move to FL.

Option 3: mover to GA.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:48 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenfl View Post
Besides I95, another thing not to like about South Carolina.
Several "amen" responses to this post, so what is it about SC that riles some of us?