Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-13-2015, 08:32 PM   #1
Freightliner Owners Club
Space for car trailer in campgrounds?

We tried towing my 2014 jeep Cherokee behind our old 33 ft MH with a tow dolly, that didn't turn out so well so we purchased a 18 ft car trailer to put the car instead. Now we have a 40 ft Alfa, with the car trailer we will be a total of 60+ft. I'm wondering how to manage the trailer in a campground situation. Plan on always asking for a pull through space, but if the space is too short for the overall length, then what do you do with the trailer? Is it easy to move around? Should we get a hitch for the car so we could move it out of the way? Any other suggestions?

Suzque49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2015, 08:37 PM   #2
Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
If you won't fit into the pull thru site you reserved:
- back the jeep out of the trailer
- unhook trailer from MH, and drive MH to site
- pickup trailer with jeep/hitch, drive it to a parking location.

DaveB, Raleigh, NC
2015 Tiffin RED 33AA
2014 Honda CRV
Kiawah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:36 PM   #3
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
If you won't fit into the pull thru site you reserved:
- back the jeep out of the trailer
- unhook trailer from MH, and drive MH to site
- pickup trailer with jeep/hitch, drive it to a parking location.
What if there is NO PARKING LOCATION? This, I think, is what the OP is asking. While we, obviously, have not been in every campground/RV park in America, we have been in quite a few, and in various states. Campgrounds and RV parks vary in in many ways. Size is pretty important as land, for the most part, is not cheap. So, the majority of campgrounds and RV parks build into the main floor plan, optimum amount of spaces with enough room for logistics, office space, maybe a store room and tools shed etc. But, EXTRA land for POTENTIAL trailers that folks haul around with them, is not normally in the game plan.

Now, this is not always the case. Sure, there are some with facilities to store campers trailers etc. And, as we've encountered, there are some nice RV parks and campgrounds out there with 75' and longer, pull through spots. Elk Horn Ridge RV Park, just outside of Spearfish SD, is one that comes to mind. A great and well kept RV park with lots of space for even the longest of RV-Trailer combinations.

But, to know where any and all of the parks that have potential EXTRA storage space is, well, not all that easy to find out. Even some of the latest Campground and RV park location books are not up to par in information. We've found that out, way more than once.

But, to the OP, a tad bit of advice, I'd try and plan your routes as much a head of time as possible and, look up all the potential RV parks and campgrounds along the route and, calculate driving times to see where you might end up at or near the end of a days drive and maybe call any that are along the route and see just what kind of accommodations they have to offer.
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:44 PM   #4
Reserve two camping spaces Justin Case.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:08 PM   #5
On more than one occasion I've seen 45ft rigs with enclosed car trailers at an RV park. The ones I recall stayed hitched and simply pulled all the way through the space, with the front and rear just barely over or right at the edge of the space. Granted we're talking about the more open, paved RV parks here, not RV campgrounds. Word of advice, plan your trip and call in advance. We always call to make sure they can accommodate our rig with a car in tow.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:56 AM   #6
Buy a car that is 4-down towable. Problem solved.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:13 AM   #7
You can drop the trailer in overflow parking if there is any (check the campground map), otherwise, you can reserve two spots. At your length, you'll find it most convenient to stick to RV Resorts and parks, not state parks or other smaller parks. This is a drawback to having 60 feet of stuff with you everywhere you go.

Call ahead, provide the info on what you plan to travel with, and ask if they can accommodate.
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:32 AM   #8
Monaco Owners Club
Having been doing this for 7 years before we down sized it may be or may not be a problem. Planing is the key, call the park before you need it. Mid summer week's in advance(you may need this even with a tent) and confirm spot and size. Yes a hitch on the jeep for trailer transport. State parks as a whole with just the 40 you are already in trouble. Ask how long the pull through, or other trailer space. We dropped the trailer no more than a half dozen times through research and planning.

2004 Clss C 31' Winnebgo
OLYLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:02 AM   #9
Monaco Owners Club
I pulled a 16' trailer for the last 12 years with a total length of 57'. I planed my stops and made reservations, only had to disconnect the trailer once because of lack of room and that was an error on the person I made the reservation with. If you can't plan ahead you will probably have problems.
You should have gotten a shorter trailer, a 16' or even a 14' would do the job and shorten your overall length.
FYI, I do both the trailer and flat tow and I would much rather use the trailer even though it is a little more work (not much). I can back up, it pulls easier, no wear and tear on the toad, and when the toad breaks I can still get it home.
2012 Monaco Knight 36 PFT
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited on 2007 16' Car Hauler trailer
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:10 AM   #10
Our rig is 75' long and have always found a campground happy to accommodate us. Being only 60' long will not be a problem. Some campgrounds are now adding 80' spaces for the "Bigger" rigs. I have never had to unhook when calling ahead for a spot. When I know where I will be at the end of the day, the DW starts calling for a spot. If all are full, Wal-Mart works for an overnight.
2013 43 QGP Allegro Bus
26' Enclosed trailer for toys
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:19 AM   #11

We have had no problems so far .... we have had to disconnect a couple of time ... once with the trailer empty ... once with the car still inside. Planning ahead is the key and we always advise of our rig size and that we're pulling the trailer ...

Hal & Jackie .... 03 TS Select 45DS01
02 Haulmark 20' Edge .... 02 Corvette Rdstr

Our Blog
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote

ace, campground