Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2015, 06:03 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Spare parts

Just wondering what spare parts do you carry with you? Thinking filters and belts. Should we have any thing else before we hit the road on our trip south for the winter?
Thanks

tikitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2015, 06:14 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I carry spare Oil, fuel, water filters for the cummins and spare fuel filter for onan generator. I had changed the serpentine belt on Cummins, keep the old one as a spare, same for the generator. Carry strap & oil wrenches to get filters off.

I have also accumulated a variety of electrical connectors, wire, tape along with spare light bulbs etc. I also carry different size and selections of nuts bolts and washers. Also some plumbing supplies but not as many since I have a Manabloc valve system and can isolate a specific run. Hose clamps, a variety of sizes, some spare hose.

I carry a gallon of motor oil for both Cummins and Onan, transmission oil, and washer fluid. Extra set of old wipers for the windshield to get me out of jam.

I carry an assortment of tools. Socket set small and large with extensions and breaker bars. Open end wrenches, crescent wrenches pliers screw drivers, drill bits, etc.

Most of this was accumulated for our trip to Alaska, I think I can pretty much tackle any calamity (but knock on wood) haven't been tested yet.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:57 PM   #3

Duct tape, hose clamps, oil, trans fluid, extra fuses.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:05 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

If it's a diesel, definitely carry a spare primary fuel filter. Bad fuel can happen at any time/place and a diesel is very sensitive to fuel flow issues. Spare belts can also help you get back on the road quickly.

I can't imagine why you would carry spare oil filters - changing the oil is not exactly an unplanned event! My spares theory is that I carry things to help get me moving until I can get to a place where parts can be obtained and/or repairs safely made. I don't do routine maintenance on the roadside. Spare hose clamps, a roll of emergency hose bandage, some wire (both for electrical and for tying up broken things), 100 MPH tape, fuses, etc.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:32 PM   #5

Just starting out on my parts box, but I have an extra awning handle, and eco,tstat, and thermal fuse for the water heater, and just some random bailing wire, duct tape and odds and and nuts and bolts so far
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:41 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It's hard to know what to carry, but fuses, cabinet latches (that your coach uses), crimp on electrical connectors, wire, assortment of screws, nuts and bolts.

I have a plastic tub with dividers that add parts as I go. If something breaks and looks like it could break again, I buy a couple as spares.

I've upgraded my water pump, so I carry the old one as a spare.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:39 AM   #7

In addition to the normal items, I carry a spare alternator. We had two failures on a previous Diesel TREK, so I began carrying a spare. When I sold that motorhome my buddy at the local O'Reiley's store traded the unused spare alternator for one used on the new-to-us gas engine TREK. Changing an alternator is relatively easy on a front engine RV, but probably a pain on a DP.

I justify carrying a spare alternator since a heavy duty unit for an older, big block, motorhome engine may not be readily available if needed during a trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
It's hard to know what to carry, but fuses, cabinet latches (that your coach uses), crimp on electrical connectors, wire, assortment of screws, nuts and bolts.

I have a plastic tub with dividers that add parts as I go. If something breaks and looks like it could break again, I buy a couple as spares.

I've upgraded my water pump, so I carry the old one as a spare.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:38 AM   #8

That's a great idea!!
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:10 AM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Windshield wiper blades! Even though I change them every year nothing worse when one decides it is going to come apart on you when you need it. Then just my tools, assorted oils for everything some assorted hose clamps and screws.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parts