Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-20-2011, 07:27 AM   #1
Tiffin Owners Club
Spare Parts List

In anticipation of our new coach, and to help wile away the hours until she comes, we are making a list of spare parts to have on hand. Can we get some help compiling that list? We will have a 2011 Phaeton DP.

What other things would you suggest we get to help with minor repairs or issues while on the road that would be challenging to find easily?

We have so far:

-extra windshield wipers
-extra DEF

terapin-bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2011, 07:33 AM   #2
Hard to say what might break on a new unit. Spare parts bought now may be old by the time you need them.

bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:39 AM   #3
Wouldn't carry much but I always have extra fuses, tail light and turn signal bulbs. Also carry some duct tape for emergency use until perm fix can be done and some extra washers for the hoses.
The Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:57 AM   #4
When we started RVing the main "spare parts" were duct tape, baling wire and a tube of silicone RTV. Now, I don't think that will be enough.
We carry spare fuses (make sure they are the ones that the MH uses), light bulbs for the tail lights, turn signals, etc, fuel filters for MH & generator, oil filters for both, spray silicone, hose clamps, extra screws, bolts, nuts, & washers, and several things that I hope we never need.
Many times I have made a trip to the "parts place" to get needed things,that is just part of the fun of RVing.
Good Luck, Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #5
Newmar Owners Club
I carry an extra pair of fuel filters just in case of that bad tank of diesel.
Wayne H. & Nixie Miller

2006 Newmar Dutch Star 4027
Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fuel filters and fuses is about all I recommend for parts. You can pretty well bet that whatever you have with you is NOT the part that will fail (Murphy's Law at work again).

Well, let me add one thing: I have a spare hard start capacitor for the a/c too. They are sometimes hard to find if we are out in the boonies and the a/c quits. I bought a spare the last time one gave out and the closest replacement part was 100 miles away.

My repair strategy is to have enough emergency stuff to be able to limp off the road and go find the parts I need. I carry tools, electrical tape, hose bandages, "100 mph" heavy duty tape and things of that nature to provide temporary repairs. And, of course, my Coach-Net roadside assist plan.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:59 AM   #7
Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks - we are taking notes!
Old 02-22-2011, 07:39 AM   #8
I second the comments re fuses and bulbs. Especially the CORRECT fuses. Nothing will halt a trip faster than when a key item will not work because of a little fuse...like the refrig.
hooverbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:42 AM   #9
Ford Super Duty Owner
most important tools in my emergency repair kit
# 1 credit card
#2 check book
# 3 more credit cards
just liven life in east tn or where ever our
2011 georgetown ,2012 explorer and 02 tbird take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:03 AM   #10
National RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by tncruiser View Post
most important tools in my emergency repair kit
# 1 credit card
#2 check book
# 3 more credit cards

That's phunny, but O so true
2005 Dolphin
2012 Equinox
Lit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:37 AM   #11
12 volt fuse kit with fuse tester and fuse puller tool

A complete set of fuel filters for your engine and generator

Spare main engine belt(s)

Spare generator belt

Gallon of engine oil

Engine and generator coolant

Distilled water for batteries and coolant top-off

An industry standard washing machine hose for flushing your grey and black water tanks if your system is like mine (required to connect a standard hose to the flush system with female hose fittings at each end)

Sears 150 PSI compressor which is light, compact and will fill your tires easily

A complete set of chucks and fittings for your air compressor. The Sears unit contains some but if you add Milton Window Inflator Air Gauge — Dual-Head Straight Chuck, 1/4in. Inlet, Model# S-516 | Air Chucks + Gauges | Northern Tool + Equipment you will have everything you are likely to need.

Good air pressure gauge with dual headed chuck for checking your rear duals without firing up the compressor

Digital multi-meter for circuit integrity testing

Infrared temperature gun to easily check tire and hub temps when you are on a road trip

There are other products which are not spares but will come in handy for preventive maintenance on tires, slide seals, step lubrication and hydraulic slide lubrication. The ones I prefer are 303 Aerospace and Boeshield T-9. If you start using these products your coach will stay in like new condition in many regards.

The Boeshield T-9 can be used virtually anywhere that you want to prevent corrosion and protect surfaces. I use it on the engine itself with excellent results.

Enjoy your new coach and congratulations!

1998 American Eagle 40EVS
FormerBoater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #12
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2011 Phaeton 36 QSH. 2005 Honda CRV.
traveldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:14 PM   #13
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Even without a pusher, besides the normal toolbox assortment, I'll carry a jar full of every size: nut, bolt, washer, screw, nail, clip, cotter pin, fuse, connector, wire tie....I own....You don't know how many times I have spilled out it's contents to find something to fix a problem or help a fellow RVer. I inherited many jars of these items from my grand parents over the years, so they are going to good use. The jar is a old one lb. peanut butter jar.

A few other items to carry: extra hot water tank drain plug, a water thief, small roll electric wire, steak-ons, electrical tape, bungees,
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:43 PM   #14
Tiffin Owners Club
(I think the credit card would be significantly lighter!)

You've all just made Bear happy - a kid in a candy store - filling up his bag with spare parts and bits and bobs. I'm the planner, so I get to make the list, hand over the cash, and he'll get to go shopping at the auto parts store!

Thanks for the great suggestions.

We're super excited: heading down to Red Bay this weekend to see our baby be born. We expect delivery at the end of March. Woo hoo!