Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Keep all the old tires. One for unmounted spare, others to sell on Craigslist.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
I will ask the dealer about the rim sizes- if all the same I will look into a rim, great info thanks all.
SMRDNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #17

I won't be driving 70 mph on it and only to nearest garage. Been there done that with my 89 Pace Arrow. 50 miles not a problem. Wouldn't drive 1000 miles on it. Tire dealer told me people do it all the time with no problems. I did keep speed very slow.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
LOL I won't be driving 70 on the new ones either!
SMRDNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #19

I can't comprehend going out on the road with out a spare! Get the tire mounted and have piece of mind.
jerrydubois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #20

Sounds like the risk of no spare is a cost, at failure time, above that of buying a spare. That and maybe a bit of wait time.
I am going with the odds.
Time, I have. The extra cost of a delivered spare, amortized, is small.
The odds of of being in a remote place, thus having a longer wait time, should not be significant, me thinks.

Just sayin....
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #21

I've got spares for the coach, dolly, and car and an Allstate Road service policy... and (ahem) a cell phone.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRDNR View Post
no- one for the Motor home!
going to get new tires put on next week and was wondering if I should keep the best one from the old tires to use as a spare. the tires are 7 years old. there is a place to store a spare, I would not get a rim. At least if I get a flat I woud have the proper size and then I could get a decent price on a replacement.

thoughts....

thanks
Steve
Michelin says you should treat the spare the same as the in use tires as far as age goes. If the "on the ground" tires are aged out than they're not good for a spare either.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The brochure on the Bounder says there is storage for a spare but I'm not sure where they think it would go. Lol. The 22.5's are heavy enough unmounted. When I get new tires next year - if I can figure out where they think it goes - I may keep one for spare. Probably not. It will still be a tire I was getting rid of and will need to replace one way or the other. Might as well do it in one stop. Like Dave said - small difference in $ amortized over life of the tire.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
The brochure on the Bounder says there is storage for a spare but I'm not sure where they think it would go. Lol. The 22.5's are heavy enough unmounted. When I get new tires next year - if I can figure out where they think it goes - I may keep one for spare. Probably not. It will still be a tire I was getting rid of and will need to replace one way or the other. Might as well do it in one stop. Like Dave said - small difference in $ amortized over life of the tire.

There is Possible risk of a few sheckles a year, and maybe, MAYBE, a time delay.

Hay!
If we keep agreeing with each other, folks will think we are RV Mutants.
Oh...wait...we are.
Nevermind
Old 04-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven

There is Possible risk of a few sheckles a year, and maybe, MAYBE, a time delay.

Hay!
If we keep agreeing with each other, folks will think we are RV Mutants.
Oh...wait...we are.
Nevermind
It's a small but elite group, but RV Mutants by definition, adapt. The curious thing to me is the amount of angst folks go through over a few dollar difference in a tire now or later. You have to have them and they need to be good quality. All there is to it. Sure shop around for a deal but tires aren't something to cheap out on. Same goes with fuel prices. You have to have it and over time prices rise and along the way they fluctuate. It's a given. We RV Mutants don't worry or complain about what we can't control but are ready for it when it happens.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

It's a small but elite group, but RV Mutants by definition, adapt. The curious thing to me is the amount of angst folks go through over a few dollar difference in a tire now or later. You have to have them and they need to be good quality. All there is to it. Sure shop around for a deal but tires aren't something to cheap out on. Same goes with fuel prices. You have to have it and over time prices rise and along the way they fluctuate. It's a given. We RV Mutants don't worry or complain about what we can't control but are ready for it when it happens.
An eloquent statement of the RV Mutant Manifesto, me thinks. You?
Old 04-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
I recently had a blow out on a rear inner dual tire. Used my mounted spare as replacement. Tires on the motor home as well as the spare (never used previously) were manufactured in July 2007. I was torn between replacing all the tires now or just replacing my spare. I chose the latter and now am back to carrying a mounted spare. I elected to keep a mounted spare based on Good Sam's service agreement that states they will use a mounted spare at no additional cost. I expect to replace the other 6 tires in 1-2 years depending on use and overall condition.

BerylCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #28
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I had a Class A gasser that came with a mounted spare. On a trip to the Grand Canyon, I could detect a thump and found I had a front tire separating. Since it was a 19.5 tire, I used the jacks to lift the front end and replaced the tire and rim.

Currently, I have a DP with 22.5 tires. I've taken them off at home, but wouldn't want to do it on the road. I carry an unmounted 22.5 in my storage bay and fill it with items so that the space isn't completely lost. I know there are many when you read these posts that will just say....they use their cell phone for repair. That's great, unless it's a Sunday in the middle of nowhere. I will use my cell phone to call CoachNet, but when they arrive, I'll have a tire already to go for them to mount.

If I need a tire that fits my coach in the Los Angeles area that MATCHES my other tires, it's usually a 2-3 day wait to get them. I don't like being stranded.

This topic needs to differentiate between 19.5 tires and 22.5 tires. As someone stated earlier, a lot of your Class A's with 19.5 tires come with a spare.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote