Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Spare Tire

no- one for the Motor home!
going to get new tires put on next week and was wondering if I should keep the best one from the old tires to use as a spare. the tires are 7 years old. there is a place to store a spare, I would not get a rim. At least if I get a flat I woud have the proper size and then I could get a decent price on a replacement.

thoughts....

thanks
Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2013, 09:02 AM   #2

I am taking a chance answering as I have been shot down by some experts lately.
You should go ahead and get the wheel and mount the spare.
The cost for a service tech to take the bad tire off and put the bare spare on would be more than the cost of the wheel

Old 04-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRDNR View Post
going to get new tires put on next week and was wondering if I should keep the best one from the old tires to use as a spare. the tires are 7 years old. there is a place to store a spare, I would not get a rim. At least if I get a flat I woud have the proper size and then I could get a decent price on a replacement.

thoughts....

thanks
Steve
Since you have a spot for it, I would carry the unmounted spare. If you have a flat, a road-side tire service can mount the spare without spending time locating a replacement. You're gonna pay for the service call, because you'll need their air gun to break loose the lugnuts, so the additional dismount & mount charge will be nominal. You can shop for the best deal on a new tire when you are not stuck on the side of the road and have to take whatever "deal" they bring you.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Assuming you would never change a tire yourself (you said not get a rim), then someone is going to have to come out anyway to get you going. They of course would need the ability on the spot to switch tires/rims. Then there you are with a 7-8 year old tire, that you will need to replace ASAP. If it were me, I would either get the spare mounted and change it myself. Or, have the guy bring a new tire and be done with it. Of course carrying that old tire may come in handy under certain conditions.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:22 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, keep the old tire to get you home.. I bought the wheel also. My only flat happened on a Sunday two hours from nowhere and the service guy was already on a call out. For him to go back to the shop, find my tire size (maybe) and get back to me would have been several more hours.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:23 AM   #6

I carry an un-mounted spare. Have considered getting a wheel and have it mounted but haven't done so yet. My reasoning for getting it mounted is in case of a blowout the wheel gets ruined making the unmounted spare useless. The cost of getting the spare mounted and balanced on the existing wheel would probably about $50.00 or so and that is not a concern of mine. Just haven't shopped for a wheel yet.
During tire shopping recently, I realized that the size 275/70R22.5 is not that common size so I will keep carrying a spare mounted or unmounted.
dls461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRDNR View Post

thoughts....

thanks
Steve
Good idea! I agree!

Having the replacement rubber as a spare is far better than nothing, even if it is 7 years old...for a temporary situation, out in the middle of nowhere, you'll be happy you've got it, if it ever does come up.

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
I will keep the spare, I will get either Coach.net or Good Sam ERS. do you know will they mount the spare on the rim? are all the rims the same size etc?

great advice -Thanks
Old 04-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #9

All rims are not the same size. If they're steel rims I would take off a wheel cover and look at one of the rims on the coach. They usually have the size and weight rating stamped near the center of the wheel.

If you have a built in place to store the tire I'm guessing it caame with 19.5" tires. As mentioned earlier if they are that size buying a rim is not only cost effective it can save hours of time. Like others the only time we've had trouble was late on a Sunday night. Road service would have taken 2 hours to get there and charged extra if they had to dismount and mount the tire. I was glad we had a working spare and chose to spend 30 minutes to put it on rather than wait 2 1/2 hours.

The spare tire carrier on our motorhome is under the chassis between the frame rails. The tire has to be on a rim to stay securely mounted. Also a loose tire would fill with all sorts of road debris, dirt, water, snow, or anything else that can be picked up along the way.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Recent discussion here on road service and unmounted spare.
Unmounted spare tire and ERS
Basically the road service pays for the service call and putting on a mounted spare tire. If the tire needs to be changed (mounted on the rim) you pay the labor rate that the provider (Tow truck?) wants you to pay, $25 to $130 in the discussion.... If you buy a new tire from him, same gotcha may apply. (Some are very honest)

Rims: all the rims on your rig would normally be the same size. Not always true but unusual to have different size rims.. Ask your tire dealer when you get the new tires.

If you have room for an unmounted spare, I would take it along...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
Good idea! I agree!

Having the replacement rubber as a spare is far better than nothing, even if it is 7 years old...for a temporary situation, out in the middle of nowhere, you'll be happy you've got it, if it ever does come up.

I'm not going to carry a spare but just a humble thought. If I was miles and miles from no where and it was a front flat I would change it out with the outside rear dual. If it was a rear outside dual I could just take it off. If it was an inside dual which is usually my case I would have to use spray can of flat tire and hope for the best and really drive slow.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post

I'm not going to carry a spare but just a humble thought. If I was miles and miles from no where and it was a front flat I would change it out with the outside rear dual. If it was a rear outside dual I could just take it off. If it was an inside dual which is usually my case I would have to use spray can of flat tire and hope for the best and really drive slow.
You would ruin the other dual by doing this. Now you'll need two tires. If you have a blowout , that can will be a waste.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
If you have space CARRY IT.... you may Never use it. In over 30 years, I have had two flats. KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!!!!! my head
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
Sounds great in theory, but jacking up the coach, removing tires from the inner dual, moving them back and forth, lotsa work out on a possible no shoulder road somewhere, too dangerous and risky for me. Also, like Clifftall says, that can ruin a second dually real quick.

Plus I'm not in any shape to carry all the tools, jacks, etc to move tires around like that. I wouldn't even try it, but I do have a spare so all it requires is a service truck with the proper tools to come change it out.

The ideal situation is to have the spare and never have to use it.

Let's face it, spare tires on vehicles are there for a logical, rational reason, not a whim.

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote