Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2016, 12:10 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
A number of threads discussing whether or not a spare makes sense. No right answer for everyone.

https://www.google.com/#q=spare+tire...earch=irv2.com

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2016, 02:12 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Like Momma says

Like my Momma always said, "It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it". I have a mounted spare but my Sea Breeze has a locked compartment on the back beside the ladder. Since we replaced our 2 front drive style tires with new steer tires, and the drive ones were only 3 years old, I mounted one and now have a spare for my spare!

Old 08-11-2016, 11:20 PM   #17

I bought a Roadmaster spare tire carrier that mounts on the rear hitch receiver. Seems to work very well. My toad then connects to it. I had all six tires replaced and used the best as a spare. I don't want to be held hostage on the side of the road by someone wanting to sell me a tire at some exorbitant price. Always good to be self sufficient if possible.

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One
Old 08-11-2016, 11:56 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine has a spare tire carrier (that I just replaced, because it was almost rusted out), and I carry a spare with me.
Maya the Rottweiler/Great Dane Mix
Hudsoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:59 AM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
G Shultz - I have looked at that spare mount system and intend to purchase one - have you found any down sides to it? I like that it is mounted to the hitch receiver and the tire weight of 200 pounds should not be an issue. What is the weight of the carrier?
Old 08-12-2016, 12:55 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have always carried a spare (16"), jack, & lug wrench in my Class C; have needed them about 3 times over the 26 years I've been RVing. Just purchased a class A (2004 Itasca M30W) that has a spare (19.5", in a locked compartment under the rear bed) and lug wrench, but no jack. That will be remedied, although I suppose I could use the levelers in a pinch. As others have suggested, I don't want to be held hostage to an over-priced, different brand tire, regardless of whether or not I change it myself, nor do I want to rely on sometimes spotty cell signal (I boondock alot) or an hours long wait for RSS to finally show up.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:11 PM   #21

I believe the carrier weighs about 60 lbs. it's built sturdy and doesn't flex at all. The tire will pivot either left or right to load or unload it. It was the best solution for me. Doesn't take away any basement storage and I couldn't imagine trying to get a mounted tire out of my storage bay.

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One
Old 08-12-2016, 07:35 PM   #22

This will probably jinx me but haven't had a tire failure on the motorhome in 10 years. Only one flat on the toy box before that and got off at the next exit where there was a tire shop right there. Camper before that none. Im with the "call road service" crowd now. ill wait. no spare for me.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:36 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Spare tire

Just recently built a under mount tire carrier, similar to what Ford uses on their F450/55's. Purchased a crank up carrier, channel iron and some hardware and put it together. Still need the wheel and tire though.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1471052112.555594.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	135769Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1471052128.013938.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	294.5 KB
ID:	135770Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1471052146.990591.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	135771
legryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:52 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by legryz View Post
Just recently built a under mount tire carrier, similar to what Ford uses on their F450/55's. Purchased a crank up carrier, channel iron and some hardware and put it together. Still need the wheel and tire though.Attachment 135769Attachment 135770Attachment 135771
A similar system came with my motorhome. I have the access hole for the crank behind the license plate that can tilt forward the way it used to be with the cars that had the gasoline tank filler neck behind the plate.

I just replace the lift mechanism, because the old one was really rusted shut from never ever using it.
Maya the Rottweiler/Great Dane Mix
Hudsoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:46 PM   #25

We didn't carry a spare for our motorhome and traveled constantly for 8 years of our full-timing with it, including up to Alaska. No problems.

We were diligent in always checking our tires and we bought all new before the Alaska trip. I know things 'could' happen but we also had road service. There's no way we'd carry one inside our bay. Full-timers have enough 'stuff' to carry. We'd never change one by ourselves - too heavy and we're too old.

Previous to the motorhome we had a 5th wheel and for that we did carry a spare.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 04:55 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
My recent experience with a flat tire on my coach has me rethinking my initial decision to travel without a spare. We were "moochdocking" at a freind's place a little south of Traverse City in Michigan's northern lowere Peninsula. Late Saturday afternoon, while preparing the coach for a Sunday morning departure - I discovered that the outer tire on the driver's side dually was completely flat.

Naturally, I placed a call to our roadside service provider (Coachnet). One of the first questions asked was whether or not I had a spare tire available. When I said no - I was informed that my Coachnet coverage will pay for ONE dispatch. IF a tire wasn't readily available - they could dispatch a fleet service provider to see about repairing the flat tire. However, IF the existing tire couldn't be repaired and a 2nd dispatch WITH a replacement tire was necessary - the 2nd dispatch would be at my expense. OR, I could simply wait for a replacement tire to be located and subsequently delivered as part of the first dispatch (which would be covered by my Coachnet policy). Obviously the cost of the tire as well as the installation effort once the fleet service folks were on-site would be at my expense. Given our location - the fleet service provider would be dispatched was being dispatched from Kalkaska ... a little over an hour away ... at a cost of roughly $300 for the dispatch alone. Unwilling to accept the risk of needing a 2nd dispatch plus the cost of a tire - we opted to wait until a replacement tire could be obtained and delivered.

Being that this all happened late on a Saturday afternoon - and that P295/80/22.5 tires aren't stocked by many - there wasn't a tire to be had from anywhere nearby (Coachnet tried). The Fleet Service provider ordered one first thing Monday morning ... which was delivered to them late Tuesday afternoon. It was delivered to me and installed on Wednesday morning.

Bottom line - we found ourselves unable to move due for nearly 4 days (from Saturday afternoon until late Wednesday morning) as a result of a flat tire. Further, the delay was not because of something that Coachnet did/didn't do - nor of something that the fleet service provider dispatched by Coachnet did/didn't do. It's simply that tires for large coaches just don't grow on trees.

Side Note: Reading the posts from folks talking about lug wrenches, tools to remove wheels, etc. in association with changing tires on their coaches - has me wondering if they've ever seen a fleet service provider change one of these large coach tires. I had never seen it done before. The fleet service tech had me put down the levelers and raise the rear of the coach a bit. He then grabbed a pair of tire irons (which were basically a couple of special crowbars) - and within 60 seconds, popped the old tire off the rim. He then slapped some lubricant round the edge of the new tire - and within 60 seconds, had the new tire mounted on the rim. He fired up his compressor and within moments had the new tire inflated. Changing the tire took him less than 5 minutes - and required nothing but a couple of tire irons and a little bit of lubricant. He never touched a lug nut.

I'm counting my blessings in the wake of this experience. We could have been stuck on the side of the road for 4 days and not sitting connected to shore power in our friends' yard.

I've since had the old tire repaired. It now sits in a basement slide-out. From here on out - I'll sacrifice a little room in the basement in order to always have a spare tire with me. Clearly, Coachnet can pretty much always find a fleet service tech to come out and change a tire. Laying hands on a replacement tire in pinch ... not so much.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:08 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Had three 22.5 tire blow outs. PS front. Road service removed PS outer dual and installed on frt. We drove to truck tire shop on five tires and parked till morning when they opened. Second one was DS inside dual. Road service delivered new tire and installed. Third was PS inside dual. Same deal, road service changed tire using only tire tool bars. However, every time a "lug wrench" was required. However, said lug wrench is a one inch drive impact socket and air compressor capable of 125 psi. Replacing a steer tire with rim on brake hub is doable, as in your case, sometimes. I must admit we were lucky in that a tire was available each time, but not cheap. After our three Michelin XRV sidewall tear blow outs. Which Michelin covered as sidewall steel cords were RUSTED. I fabed a rack to carry spare unmounted tire under frame. Let road service do the heavy lifting. Never needed it in 10 yrs. Glad you didn't have any body damage, as we didn't either.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:13 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
My recent experience with a flat tire on my coach has me rethinking my initial decision to travel without a spare. We were "moochdocking" at a freind's place a little south of Traverse City in Michigan's northern lowere Peninsula. Late Saturday afternoon, while preparing the coach for a Sunday morning departure - I discovered that the outer tire on the driver's side dually was completely flat.

Naturally, I placed a call to our roadside service provider (Coachnet). One of the first questions asked was whether or not I had a spare tire available. When I said no - I was informed that my Coachnet coverage will pay for ONE dispatch. IF a tire wasn't readily available - they could dispatch a fleet service provider to see about repairing the flat tire. However, IF the existing tire couldn't be repaired and a 2nd dispatch WITH a replacement tire was necessary - the 2nd dispatch would be at my expense. OR, I could simply wait for a replacement tire to be located and subsequently delivered as part of the first dispatch (which would be covered by my Coachnet policy). Obviously the cost of the tire as well as the installation effort once the fleet service folks were on-site would be at my expense. Given our location - the fleet service provider would be dispatched was being dispatched from Kalkaska ... a little over an hour away ... at a cost of roughly $300 for the dispatch alone. Unwilling to accept the risk of needing a 2nd dispatch plus the cost of a tire - we opted to wait until a replacement tire could be obtained and delivered.

Being that this all happened late on a Saturday afternoon - and that P295/80/22.5 tires aren't stocked by many - there wasn't a tire to be had from anywhere nearby (Coachnet tried). The Fleet Service provider ordered one first thing Monday morning ... which was delivered to them late Tuesday afternoon. It was delivered to me and installed on Wednesday morning.

Bottom line - we found ourselves unable to move due for nearly 4 days (from Saturday afternoon until late Wednesday morning) as a result of a flat tire. Further, the delay was not because of something that Coachnet did/didn't do - nor of something that the fleet service provider dispatched by Coachnet did/didn't do. It's simply that tires for large coaches just don't grow on trees.

Side Note: Reading the posts from folks talking about lug wrenches, tools to remove wheels, etc. in association with changing tires on their coaches - has me wondering if they've ever seen a fleet service provider change one of these large coach tires. I had never seen it done before. The fleet service tech had me put down the levelers and raise the rear of the coach a bit. He then grabbed a pair of tire irons (which were basically a couple of special crowbars) - and within 60 seconds, popped the old tire off the rim. He then slapped some lubricant round the edge of the new tire - and within 60 seconds, had the new tire mounted on the rim. He fired up his compressor and within moments had the new tire inflated. Changing the tire took him less than 5 minutes - and required nothing but a couple of tire irons and a little bit of lubricant. He never touched a lug nut.

I'm counting my blessings in the wake of this experience. We could have been stuck on the side of the road for 4 days and not sitting connected to shore power in our friends' yard.

I've since had the old tire repaired. It now sits in a basement slide-out. From here on out - I'll sacrifice a little room in the basement in order to always have a spare tire with me. Clearly, Coachnet can pretty much always find a fleet service tech to come out and change a tire. Laying hands on a replacement tire in pinch ... not so much.
My daughter and SIL had a blowout, at night, on 95 in Ga.. Same issue, can't find a spare nor one to match. $800 CASH ONLY, later, got them a tire and on their way the following night. While having to Boondock off of 95 but in no man's land.
I have just spent all day trying to buy a spare and see how difficult it is.
Found only one Michelin TRUCK dealer able to order me one. Next week!
After reading spacenorman's writeup about how the service guy changed the tire on the rim and my Son in Law having the same experience, I will just carry the tire unmounted.
My reasoning is the rim is 80 lbs alone and tire must be over 100 lbs.
My 2016 Newmar basement door width measures 43" wide, which can accommodate the 39" diameter of the tire.
Tire only, will allow easier lift out for me or service guy. NO BRAINER FOR ME!
Thank you all for these posts. Especially you spacenorman!

Hope this late news reply is not too late for others to consider a tire only spare.