RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2017, 05:04 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadge View Post
My daughter and SIL had a blowout, at night, on 95 in Ga.. Same issue, can't find a spare nor one to match. $800 CASH ONLY, later, got them a tire and on their way the following night. While having to Boondock off of 95 but in no man's land.
I have just spent all day trying to buy a spare and see how difficult it is.
Found only one Michelin TRUCK dealer able to order me one. Next week!
After reading spacenorman's writeup about how the service guy changed the tire on the rim and my Son in Law having the same experience, I will just carry the tire unmounted.
My reasoning is the rim is 80 lbs alone and tire must be over 100 lbs.
My 2016 Newmar basement door width measures 43" wide, which can accommodate the 39" diameter of the tire.
Tire only, will allow easier lift out for me or service guy. NO BRAINER FOR ME!
Thank you all for these posts. Especially you spacenorman!

Hope this late news reply is not too late for others to consider a tire only spare.
I have carried a mounted spare (19.5) for years. Getting ready to change tires, I decided to spring for a roadmaster hitch mount carrier. Ordered it, mounted tire, then saw sticker that says this device reduces hitch by 1/3. Anyway, I did not like it at all. All that extra weight on the hitch seemed horrible. I bounced it back/forth to simulate road hits and saw the entire hitch flexing with this thing (10K hitch). I sent back the gizmo. I am going to go with unmounted spare tire this time so I can move it around (it stores under a bed) without killing my back. Also the hitch mounted carrier blocked my view of my tow bar from the camera. Another no no.

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2017, 06:01 PM   #30
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive861 View Post
My wife and I recently purchased a motorhome. We put 7 new tires on it (including the spare). I like the option of being able to replace a flat without having to rely/wait on anyone. It's not a fun job, but very do-able (at least for us.) I carry a jack, lug wrench and cheater bar needed for proper torque of lug nuts...my coach calls for 450-500 lbs/feet lug nut torque.
Useless information. To bad you didn't mention what type of MH u have. Create a signature so we can put your comments in context.

Did you see how the OP mentioned, "I just purchased a 2003 Holiday Rambler 34'"?

TEAM Martin & Joanie, FTers, RVM#181
2012 WGO Vista 35F, 5 ST, Toyo M122's/duallys, Centramatics (all around), TPMS, ScanGuage II, Safe T Plus, SS Rear Trac Bar, CHF (F/R), Koni FSD's, 2017 FORD Fiesta Toad, Escapees
Making Traveling, FTing and Our Motorhome "GREAT AGAIN".
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:53 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
Useless information. To bad you didn't mention what type of MH u have. Create a signature so we can put your comments in context.

Did you see how the OP mentioned, "I just purchased a 2003 Holiday Rambler 34'"?
Give the OP a break!
Haven't you seen all the typos in other posts before?
probably meant "2013"
Nadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:31 AM   #32

Marjoa,
Thank you for your insightful comments. It was my understanding that the original poster asked who carries a spare tire and I thought I was answering his question. Obviously I was wrong.
Fugitive861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:17 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSR View Post

I have Coach-net, credit cards, cell phone and toad. I also carry a mounted spare tire under the motorhome, along with the tools and “know how” to change a tire

The only time I broke down was the trip I decided to leave the toad at home. Luckily, I was close to home. Was able to limp to the campground to salvage the trip then called family to come get us and bring us home. Had the coach towed to a repair facility.
Never again will I leave my toad at home.

As for the option of spare vs. no spare. Personal preference I guess. If I can change the tire, I will. If not, then I make the phone call for help.
Then make a cocktail and sit back and wait. Cheers
Fyrflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:38 PM   #34

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
I do not carry a spare, yet. I would like to have a tire only (no rim) and put it up under the rear between the frame rails. Has anyone done this with a Winnebago Adventurer 38?
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:54 PM   #35

I see this thread has been resurrected twice now... but I'll go ahead and post my $.02.

We do carry a mounted spare. 19.5" wheel - 6 bolt. These use the same studs and "bud-lugs" that semi's use, the only difference is the quantity. Yes, they do torque to ridiculous levels of tightness. At home, I use a 1" drive air impact wrench with the special socket that you can use on both the outer hex shaped lug nut, and the inner square shaped lug. No troubles.

I've never had to change a tire on the road, but I tested the process here at home, and it's doable. I bought a 1" drive breaker bar that is 4' long... plus a 4' cheater pipe just in case. The rear is the most difficult to work with because you have to use a long extension on the socket. It's impossible to hold the head of the breaker bar square with the lug nut by hand in order to keep it from falling off... so I just use a jack to hold the end of the breaker bar while I stand on the other end. It gets the job done... though not nearly as quickly as the impact wrench. It's probably faster than waiting for Coach Net when you are in the middle of nowhere...

I had thought about installing an air tank big enough to run the 1" drive impact wrench... but it would add weight, and take up space.

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:15 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Schulz View Post
I bought a Roadmaster spare tire carrier that mounts on the rear hitch receiver. Seems to work very well. My toad then connects to it. I had all six tires replaced and used the best as a spare. I don't want to be held hostage on the side of the road by someone wanting to sell me a tire at some exorbitant price. Always good to be self sufficient if possible.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One

The Roadmaster spare tire carrier looks like THIS:
Wouldn't leave home without it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier 5.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	151053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier 4.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	302.8 KB
ID:	151054  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier 3.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	151055  
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:19 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post

Geez marjoa, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed or something? Creating a signature is a great suggestion, but boy you need to work on your "people skills"!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:31 PM   #38

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker View Post
I see this thread has been resurrected twice now... but I'll go ahead and post my $.02.

We do carry a mounted spare. 19.5" wheel - 6 bolt. These use the same studs and "bud-lugs" that semi's use, the only difference is the quantity. Yes, they do torque to ridiculous levels of tightness. At home, I use a 1" drive air impact wrench with the special socket that you can use on both the outer hex shaped lug nut, and the inner square shaped lug. No troubles.

I had thought about installing an air tank big enough to run the 1" drive impact wrench... but it would add weight, and take up space.

That "special socket" is a standard 12 point socket.

Just get a torque multiplier and your problem is solved. I have one, applying 151 ft lbs gives me 500 ft lbs.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:38 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
I do not carry a spare, yet. I would like to have a tire only (no rim) and put it up under the rear between the frame rails. Has anyone done this with a Winnebago Adventurer 38?
I built a carrier for my 24,000/30,000 Ford chassis. Don't know what chassis your Winnie is but this worked great for me.
Spare Tire and Rim
Old 02-05-2017, 03:00 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
That "special socket" is a standard 12 point socket.

Just get a torque multiplier and your problem is solved. I have one, applying 151 ft lbs gives me 500 ft lbs.
Indeed... the socket is just a 12 point socket on the end, but also has the square form behind the 12-point that fits the inner lug nut. Maybe the square form on the lug nut is the same as the 1" drive on the breaker bar? I never really paid that much attention I guess, and just assumed it was in some way "special."

A torque multiplier would definitely take the cake... I didn't even know they existed when I spent about as much money for the 1" drive breaker bar. Live and learn...

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 03:39 PM   #41

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
I built a carrier for my 24,000/30,000 Ford chassis. Don't know what chassis your Winnie is but this worked great for me.
Spare Tire and Rim
Sorry, should have put in it's aW24 Workhorse with 235/80-22.5 tires.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 03:50 PM   #42

I carry a mounted spare under the tail, a bottle jack, 4'foot breaker bar. My tires are 16". Bigger wheels, just carry a torque multiplier and a cheater and you are set.

Crazeee1 is offline   Reply With Quote