Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2017, 03:50 PM   #43

I had to check on the special socket deal... so I went out to the garage and sure enough, it's not your average socket. The area that grabs the inner lug nut is not the same size as the 1" drive. It is smaller. It is intended to work on both the 6 sided outer lug nut and the 4 sided inner lug nut that attach the duals.

I have no other sockets in the garage like that, so I call that special.

Mr. D... you may kindly remove the " " around the words "special socket" in your post.

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2017, 10:48 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
I do not carry a spare, yet. I would like to have a tire only (no rim) and put it up under the rear between the frame rails. Has anyone done this with a Winnebago Adventurer 38?
One glaring problem I can see with that idea is that tire might have a tendency to collect road dirt, gravel, etc if stored underneath with no rim to keep out the debris. If the company that comes out to get you going again does not do a thorough job of cleaning out the tire (which he really shouldn't be REQUIRED to do anyway) then you run the risk of having a spare on that is terribly out of balance. Possibly not a big concern if you will just be using it to limp to the next tire store, but if you were to continue your trip for an extensive number of miles, I would not want the possibility of an out of balance tire to exist . . . Just my $5.49 worth (2 cents adjusted for inflation!)
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:37 PM   #45

Tiffin Owners Club
After three XRV blow outs. I carried an unmounted spare shrink wrapped on a Ford pick up spare tire bracket under coach frame. Type you ratchet up and down with crank handle. The problem with a replacement on the road is not getting roadside assistance. Truck tire can be changed with tire bars, your feet and bead bag balanced. But finding the correct size tire can take a couple days, and cost $100s bucks more then when you can shop them. We use 295/80/22.5 which OTR trucks don't. Have had a rear dual tire moved to replace a blown steer tire to get off the road on five tires. Even thought I have the spare, I won't carry the tooling to do it. As others here have said......get road side assist insurance.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:31 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
One glaring problem I can see with that idea is that tire might have a tendency to collect road dirt, gravel, etc if stored underneath with no rim to keep out the debris. If the company that comes out to get you going again does not do a thorough job of cleaning out the tire (which he really shouldn't be REQUIRED to do anyway) then you run the risk of having a spare on that is terribly out of balance. Possibly not a big concern if you will just be using it to limp to the next tire store, but if you were to continue your trip for an extensive number of miles, I would not want the possibility of an out of balance tire to exist . . . Just my $5.49 worth (2 cents adjusted for inflation!)
I have thought of the dirt, planning to shrink wrap it and cut 2 plywood round discs to sandwich the tire with. Should keep it pretty clean. I can always wash it up before the service guy gets to me. I have GS roadside, so if I ever need it, I want to be prepared with a tire. Hope I'll never need it.
Insurance is betting against yourself, and hoping you'll lose!!
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:54 PM   #47

Ok, this is a quasi-hijack but...........should I carry mounted or unmounted? What are the odds of the wheel being damaged during a tire blow-out? I have carried mounted but am always looking to cut down on weight.....Can the on the road tire guys mount a new tire to a wheel? What to do about balancing?
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:16 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Ok, this is a quasi-hijack but...........should I carry mounted or unmounted? What are the odds of the wheel being damaged during a tire blow-out? I have carried mounted but am always looking to cut down on weight.....Can the on the road tire guys mount a new tire to a wheel? What to do about balancing?
Many people carry un-mounted spares. Balance is the last thing to worry about when it's a choice of getting back on the road, or sitting and waiting an undetermined time for someone to find a tire. IMHO.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Old 02-07-2017, 07:34 AM   #49

Quote:
Chances of wheel damage are greater with a front tire, especially in a blowout situation at speed than on a dually. That's one of the reasons we carry a full up mounted spare. I can have the tire guy inspect the rim at the shop at his leisure rather than putting the unmounted spare on at the roadside and hoping for the best. The only thing worse than trying to find a tire on a Saturday night, in the rain, on the side of the road would be trying to find a tire AND A WHEEL! Just my thoughts . . .
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:49 PM   #50

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Chances of wheel damage are greater with a front tire, especially in a blowout situation at speed than on a dually. That's one of the reasons we carry a full up mounted spare. I can have the tire guy inspect the rim at the shop at his leisure rather than putting the unmounted spare on at the roadside and hoping for the best. The only thing worse than trying to find a tire on a Saturday night, in the rain, on the side of the road would be trying to find a tire AND A WHEEL! Just my thoughts . . .
OTR trucks use the same wheel (22.5 10 lug) you do. Might be steel, but it works. Not so much for the tires. Granted, mounted spare is good.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:36 AM   #51

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSR View Post
A shovel? The shovel provides the lever I needed to lift the tire onto the wheel studs. I lay the wheel up against the axle, stick the shovel blade under the tire and then press down on the shovel handle to easily lift the wheel that final bit onto the studs.
I am in the planning stages for building a spare tire carrier. I've seen a plan for a build that looks like it will work. Going to do a mock up in wood to check measurements and angles. I do not like the idea of being other than self sufficient. I have had a blow out in my previous rig. Took 4 hours to get the road service out. thankfully we had a spare. Just couldn't do the change. We were in a cell service bubble. a mile in any direction and no service! I bought a 42" breaker bar and sockets. If needed, I'll trace that up to a 1" but I know there are quite a few places were you can almost see the city lights, but you can't make a phone call.

And I will be adding a shovel to my tool kit! Thank you!
JimN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:05 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker View Post
I had to check on the special socket deal... so I went out to the garage and sure enough, it's not your average socket. The area that grabs the inner lug nut is not the same size as the 1" drive. It is smaller. It is intended to work on both the 6 sided outer lug nut and the 4 sided inner lug nut that attach the duals.

I have no other sockets in the garage like that, so I call that special.

Mr. D... you may kindly remove the " " around the words "special socket" in your post.

-cheers
Most trucks and Motorhomes built in the mid 90's do not use the inner nut on the inner wheel anymore. They have the hub pilot studs that the outer nut holds both wheels.
So unless you have an older rig with the older system you do not need a special socket.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:10 AM   #53

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I built a undermount carrier last summer that is working pretty good.
Here's the link to what I did.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/tire...er-301224.html
legryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:58 PM   #54

Quote:
I have carried a mounted spare (19.5) for years. Getting ready to change tires, I decided to spring for a roadmaster hitch mount carrier. Ordered it, mounted tire, then saw sticker that says this device reduces hitch by 1/3. Anyway, I did not like it at all. All that extra weight on the hitch seemed horrible. I bounced it back/forth to simulate road hits and saw the entire hitch flexing with this thing (10K hitch). I sent back the gizmo. I am going to go with unmounted spare tire this time so I can move it around (it stores under a bed) without killing my back. Also the hitch mounted carrier blocked my view of my tow bar from the camera. Another no no.
Found only two truck tire dealers that can get me same tire & model.
First guy who was contacted first can get me same as above, is 50 miles away @ $650 cost.
Second guy, same tire, is 12 miles away, can have the tire in one week @ $550
Ordered from guy number two!
He will shrink wrap for me even though I will store in basement.
I call it insurance.
If, when, I get a flat, I want the tire swapped out in "Indy 500" tire changeout timeframe to minimize "sitting duck" can't move situation.
Call me paranoid!
Nadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:00 PM   #55

Spare tire

For all of the good reasons listed we carried an unmounted spare in a basement compartment on a slide out tray. Besides less weight, the unmounted tire fit a nice sized plastic bin in the middle so I did not lose much storage space. We did this after needing to replace two tires on the road and the closest tires that matched were over 300 miles away. We could still drive the coach but if not would have waited a day or two. You could probably buy a used tire as a temp spare from a tire place when they replace some 22.5 tires. You may never use it but it is piece of mind.
Breezy2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:09 PM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm hoping to get a decent used tire also. No need to get a new one if a used one will get me down the road a day or 2 until I find a new replacement.