Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2011, 07:51 AM   #1

Spare tire and changing a tire

My 30' A.C.E mh did not come with a spare. It would seem prudent to me to carry a spare even though it adds to vehicle weight. Secondly as this coach does not have jacks or air how hard or ez is it for roadservice to change a tire and how many of you have then had issues with doors, windows, windshield etc after being jacked up? Thanks for your input.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
paz

Even though our motorhome does have jacks, I wouldn't considering changing tires myself even if I did have a spare. For one thing, the lug nuts on our coach require something like 430 lb-ft of torque, and a mounted tire weighs about 150 to 200 lbs.

We have used our CoachNet roadside service twice, and I have been happy with their service. You will probably want to have roadside assistance for mechanical issues anyway, so why not use them for tire problems as well?

Some people do carry an unmounted spare, which is lighter in weight and doesn't take up as much space. That way, in case your tire is damaged beyond repair, the roadside repair service can mount the tire for you.

Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:04 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I carried a spare on my previous coach with 19.5" and changed both front and inside rears on the road using the leveling jacks and hand tools.
With our new coach and 22.5" I no longer carry a spare. Any tire problems are now Coachnets problem.
If I were in your situation I'd probably carry a spare. At least you have the option of do-it-youself or call roadside assistance.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

There's been a lot written on this topic and people feel strongly about their positions on both sides of the issue. We've never carried a spare because we feel that the space it takes up and the cost of replacing it every 6 or 7 years out weighs the risk of our road service not being able to find our tire size locally if we have a problem.

Many folks assume that they'll be over charged for a new tire if they have to buy it from the road service but that didn't happen to us and nobody I recall has ever posted first hand knowledge of that happening.

Best of luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:24 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a spare mounted on the back of our coach. It has never been on the ground in the seven years life of the coach. It is there only for decoration as the design of the rear end of the coach dictates it. Will let CoachNet take care of the problem if ever the problem arises.

Happy traveling
George
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:42 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi ToledoCharli,
Some of the previous posts touched on points to remember in your decision.

1. Is your tire size readily available?
2. Carrying an unmounted spare tire takes up little space as one can use the space in the middle of the tire.
3. Will you have emergency roadside assistance from one of the main brand carriers?

I carry a fully mounted spare tire. I do this because my tire size(275X70X22.5 load range J) is not readily available. I have changed 2 tires on this coach. The right front and the right rear inside tire. The reasons are another story. I also carry all the utensils necessary to safely change a tire. In addition I carry tire patches (plugs) and several bottles of Slime.

Depending on the situation, my ERS may be called first. If conditions are right, I have choices to get me to the nearest tire shop of my choice.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:03 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
I hope you don't mind if a single axle trailer owner asks a question, but I've been considering leaving my spare at home, too. I could really use that space!
Anybody ever tried one of these repair kits? I think they're just for temporary use 'til you get to a place to have the tire "properly" repaired. I've watched a few professional repairs, though, and it doesn't look to me like they're doing much more than what this kit does! Most times they don't even take the tire off the rim, I guess since most tires don't have tubes anymore...

Anybody ever tried this kind of field repair?

Thanks

Francesca

Husky T-Handle Tire Repair Kit - HDA60000AV at The Home Depot
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Francesca,
In post #6 I mention I carry a plug kit. I've never had to use it. Like you I do not think it is rocket science. Simple instructions are included with my kit.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:28 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks, Gary

Is yours like the one above, or one with the rubber plugs like they use at the tire shops?
I've seen that type advertised, too...
I'm really curious if anybody's ever used either!
Heck, maybe I'll get one or t'other and be the guinea pig someday

Francesca
Old 06-02-2011, 02:09 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Thanks, Gary

Is yours like the one above, or one with the rubber plugs like they use at the tire shops?
I've seen that type advertised, too...
I'm really curious if anybody's ever used either!
Heck, maybe I'll get one or t'other and be the guinea pig someday

Francesca
I have used a similar tire plug kit on a 1992 Cadillac (5,600lb car) with good results. I do exactly as Gary described. The plug kits are good for nail holes in the tread. Do not use them for side wall repairs. You will also need a high volume air pump onboard (yes, the list keeps growing - jack, stand, tools, air pump, wood for under jack/stands - etc :>) But the good think is that after you get all this stuff you will never have another flat - it just works that way (someone by the name of Murphy has a law about it).
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:52 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Francesca,
Safety Seal is the brand of kit I have. The plugs are sealed in a special wrapping container. They look and feel like beef jerky. I'm not sure what they are made of.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had a tir rack installed under the rear of the coach. Bought a new tire only and carry it. Don't want to have to search for our tire size on the road. Service people should be able to mount the tire on the rim.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:34 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I've used a similar kit from Walmart and carry one with me.
Unfortunately 90% of my trailer tire problems on the road involve blow-outs, sidewall bulges or road hazzard damage. I always carry a spare for the trailers.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:54 AM   #14

spare tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikron View Post
We had a tir rack installed under the rear of the coach. Bought a new tire only and carry it. Don't want to have to search for our tire size on the road. Service people should be able to mount the tire on the rim.
I agree, when I bought my used Islander last year, I had the dealer throw in a used spare tire off the rim. Then upon getting home, bought a rim and had the tire mounted. Fits nice in the storage bay. Now I have to replace all the tires due to age, 9 years old. Starting with the front tires this month, BUT! Seems there is a tire shortage due to rubber production in Asia, droughts and floods. My michelin dealer has 8 tires my size on back order, my Goodyear dealer has my size coming from the wearhouse in two weeks. Hear pros and cons about both brands of tires until my head is spinning, but who ever gets here first, gets the business, oooh! the cost, $550. a tire, not including mounting and taxes.