Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #15

My Solution....

My solution to carrying a spare tire was to purchase a Curt 31006 Spare Tire Carrier which mounts into the 2" receiver hitch. Our MH is all fiberglass so there is no metal bumper to attach a carrier. I had to do a little modifying to be able to attach more than 1 bolt to secure the 8R19.5 tire and wheel but it wasn't too difficult. Did not have to do any welding.

I don't plan on changing a flat tire myself, but do plan on not having to pay some absurd price for a replacement tire, to replace the flat.

Happy Trails.......H2oviller
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0556.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	21036  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Coach-Net is great but the problem is that sometimes it isn't so easy to find the right tire when you have a flat. That is why a some folks carry spares BUT those that I know don't have it mounted, just carry the spare and let Coach-Net send someone to mount it. They stuff other things in and around the tire so that it doesn't actually take up that much room. Weight is an issue to consider. Since we carry a toad we can't use the hitch mount for a spare. I don't carry a spare myself. I just keep my tires inflated based on 4-corner weight and use a tire monitor, and pray we don't hit a road gator.

Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oviller View Post
My solution to carrying a spare tire was to purchase a Curt 31006 Spare Tire Carrier which mounts into the 2" receiver hitch. Our MH is all fiberglass so there is no metal bumper to attach a carrier. I had to do a little modifying to be able to attach more than 1 bolt to secure the 8R19.5 tire and wheel but it wasn't too difficult. Did not have to do any welding.

I don't plan on changing a flat tire myself, but do plan on not having to pay some absurd price for a replacement tire, to replace the flat.

My last coach had a similar setup. I tow a trailer too much to have it like that. There is room in my trailer to fit a coach & trailer spare.
If I go on trips longer than 700 miles from home... ill probably purchase a full sized spare for emergencies. My rig is packed with 300lbs of "emergency" tools & items at the moment. Guess another 120 wont matter.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #18

My spare is mounted on a rim, and it fits just perfectly into the rack above
the propane tank. There is no room for any storage around it.
So all the service guy has to do is check air pressure in spare and install it,
and put the flat back into the rack, and I'm rolling again.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #19

Thanks for the responses to my inquiry!

Thanks all you seasoned RVers who responded to my inquiry. Decided that we would join the Good Sam program for emergency road response. Caravanning to Alaska in 2 or 3 weeks, and the folks at Good Sam's were so helpful! Wish us luck! Alaska or bust!
Old 05-23-2012, 06:42 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lahogue View Post
Anybody have any suggestions for a spare tire carrier? We bought a spare, but there is nowhere to put it in the storage bays. Is anybody being creative out there? Thanks!
Hi Lahogue, Maybe have your local fabrication shop made an adaptor for your tow hitch, extend it about 14 to 16 inches and make a bracket for your spare. I would definatly make it where it can be removed like a receiver type hitch. By mounting it on an extention, it will not interfer with your tow vehicle. HopeI have been of some help, old trucker
Old 05-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Spare Tire

I put a spare tire (no rim) in my toad, a Jeep GC.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

That is exactly what I need. I want to put my x-pens in the space where the spare tire is above the lp tank. I thought about covering the tire in plastic and placing it below the bed in storage, since its empty anyway, but this is even better idea....

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #23

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

H2oviller, I sent you an email message. I do have a bumper on the back of mine, but its 3" deep and 6"long, I am just concerned about whether or not I can get the 245 70 r 19.5 130# tire up there and will the bolt eyes line up. Also, how did you get that heavy tire/wheel up on it?
Old 06-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #24

I had to get very creative on mine. On our F53 based 07 Georgie Boy Landau, there is not enough room behind the gas tank underneath in back. No compartment was big enough, and I did not want it under the bed. So...

I modified the side trim panels above the rear tires to open upward just like the other compartment doors. Then I buildt a "gurney" out of 1-1/2" angle that is the width of the tire and 8' long. Then I slide the gurney and tire above the rear axle and it rests on the MH frame. A couple of bolts to keep it from shifting and it is ready, easily accessible from either side, out of the way, and does not take any storage space.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I remember years ago when motorhomes and pickup truck owners mounted the spare in front over the vehicle. I rarely ever see this anymore. I guess to many vehicles were overheating because of this design. Good luck in you mounting adventure.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #26

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
CURT Manufacturing | CURT Manufacturing - CURT Basket Cargo Carrier #18132

Changed my mind. Gonna leave the spare right where it's at and use this to transport the x-pens. I can store them in the upright position with this carrier. Just picked it up at the local truck store for 150.00. I bought an 8" hitch extension, I believe I'll need it for the coach.

Gonna put it together this weekend, will take a pic to share when its done!

Old 06-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a carrier for Class A's that fits on the hitch or hitch receiver. The problem however (If you have a gasser) is that gassers normally have a 5000/500 pound hitch (Towing up to 5000 pounds, carry up to 500) and by the time you put a tire, rim and this thing on there.. ... well you are pushing it a bit.
Universal Hitch Mounted Spare Tire Carrier

There also used to be one www.rvtirecarrier.com but searching on them shows the domain name expiered on jan-12 of this year and has not yet been renewed.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck49 View Post
If you figure out a mounting solution don't forget the 10 ton bottle jack, lug wrench, and 4' cheater pipe. I was OTR trucker for several years in a previous life and have changed several tires on the side of the road. No fun and not the safest thing to do. The old bias ply tires were much more likely to have a flat. New style radials not so much. I wouldn't fool with the expense and weight. Road side assistance is for that stuff IMHO. Sell the spare and buy a CB in case you're somewhere with no cell coverage. With duals on the rear you almost have to have a steer axle flat to be stuck. Turn on the flashers and easy it on into the next town with a flat on one side of a dual. Be safe though. Use common sense. I wouldn't try that if it's 115 in the desert and it's too far to town. Again, RSA is a good idea. IMHO.
The best advice I have seen all day. We have Good Sam Emerg Serv and they are real good at doing things like this while I finish my beer.