Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2019, 03:09 PM   #15

This is why I have great insurance, I have a buddy that lost 2 fingers seating a bead and I am not going to bust my gut changing a 200 lbs tire when I have insurance to take care of it. Getting the new tire on is not you issue its breaking the bead on the old tire. Dont get me wrong, I fix most everything I have to include dragster moter rebuilds but I am not hauling a tire all over creation as a insurance policy when I have a insurance policy I am paying for that is ment to take care of this kind of thing my tire size is a common big rig steer tire so....
nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2019, 03:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowJoe View Post
Not absurd at all. I will post a video of me changing a tire in my driveway to demonstrate how simple it is.

To address a few points which were raised:

Most times the bead will seat by simply applying air when the tire is standing up. Sometimes a bit of a push on the rim is needed to get the rim contacting the bead. In more rare circumstances a shot of ether will get it to seat.

There are no cutting tools or brute strength required. Tire tools (essentially large specialized prybars) are used to lift the tire on and of the lugs and to remove/ install the tire onto the wheel. If someone can pick up 50 lbs then they can change out a truck tire.
Doesn't sound absurd to me. While changing it out myself is not my first choice I want to be ready and properly prepared. We live and travel in Mexico and have seen gasoline used to seat a tire.

Looking forward to seeing your video.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathaniel View Post
This is why I have great insurance, I have a buddy that lost 2 fingers seating a bead and I am not going to bust my gut changing a 200 lbs tire when I have insurance to take care of it. Getting the new tire on is not you issue its breaking the bead on the old tire. Dont get me wrong, I fix most everything I have to include dragster moter rebuilds but I am not hauling a tire all over creation as a insurance policy when I have a insurance policy I am paying for that is ment to take care of this kind of thing my tire size is a common big rig steer tire so....

There are ways to hurt yourself doing anything involving heavy equipment and it's unfortunate your friend experienced an accident like this. However, people change tires on a daily basis without incident. I have changed many more than I can count and I would estimate the number of truck tires to be in the mid thousands. I have never hurt myself or known anyone else who has. Actually a few exposed steel belts have nicked my hand before, but otherwise no injuries.

However, none of this is relevant because we are talking about a choice. You have stated that you would rather have someone else change your tire in the unlikely event of a failure. The OP has clearly stated that his choice is to be self sufficient.
SlowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple H View Post
Exactly my point. Doing this in a controlled environment in your driveway in perfect weather with no timeline, no semis flying by, etc, etc., is doable. Post a video of you doing this in the rain at dusk on a dirt/gravel shoulder with traffic whizzing by.

It happens in every state on every day somewhere in this country. As I mentioned, it is not a big deal if you have tools and the knowledge to use them.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:22 PM   #19

I had never viewed this video until today. Unfortunately, my wife did not film me installing the new tire, but it takes a bit less time and effort than removing the old one.

What we start with in the video is with the tire which has been removed from the vehicle and the valve core removed. I would estimate my time to open a compartment, take out the spare tire and tools, jack up and remove the tire would be 15-30 minutes. The video of me removing the uninflated tire from the rim is just over 2 minutes in length. Reinstalling the new tire would be another 2 minutes. Airing it up would take 5-15 minutes, depending on the air compressor. Reinstalling it on the vehicle and stowing all tools would take an estimated 15-30 minutes. One other thing to consider, is that I am not exactly running like a maniac to preform a NASCAR style tire change as fast as I can. These numbers are a realistic, slow but steady pace.

I hope this is helpful for people who would like to feel enabled to do this kind of work on their own, because there is no reason why it can not be done by anyone who is capable of picking up 50 lbs or so. The most physically challenging step is flipping the tire and rim. The only consideration for a proper location is that it's necessary to have a surface which is level enough and solid enough for jacking it up. A roadside is generally adequate for this task and I have done this on the side of the road plenty of times on commercial trucks.

I purchased my tire tools on ebay for about $150.00 and I bought a 1" air wrench which was freshly rebuilt for about the same price. I purchased a military surplus Humvee scissor jack to lift the axle weight once I jack the coach with it's leveling jacks from ebay for $30. I had a few other incidentals that I had to purchase that totaled about $120 including: chrome nut cover pliers (to remove chrome nut covers), aluminum rim protector ring (to protect wheel from being scuffed by the socket) 1/2 ID air hose (to supply large volume of air for 1" impact) 2 gallon air tank ( to help impact with air volume) and various fittings to connect it all. The impact wrench, jack and all other tools fit inside the spare tire in the basement compartment with plenty of room for other incidentals. This does not include the slide hammer or the tire iron which are longer and must be stored next to one of my basement slide out trays in a space which was otherwise unused.

Old 10-30-2019, 04:59 PM   #20

Quote:
I had never viewed this video until today. Unfortunately, my wife did not film me installing the new tire, but it takes a bit less time and effort than removing the old one.

What we start with in the video is with the tire which has been removed from the vehicle and the valve core removed. I would estimate my time to open a compartment, take out the spare tire and tools, jack up and remove the tire would be 15-30 minutes. The video of me removing the uninflated tire from the rim is just over 2 minutes in length. Reinstalling the new tire would be another 2 minutes. Airing it up would take 5-15 minutes, depending on the air compressor. Reinstalling it on the vehicle and stowing all tools would take an estimated 15-30 minutes. One other thing to consider, is that I am not exactly running like a maniac to preform a NASCAR style tire change as fast as I can. These numbers are a realistic, slow but steady pace.

I hope this is helpful for people who would like to feel enabled to do this kind of work on their own, because there is no reason why it can not be done by anyone who is capable of picking up 50 lbs or so. The most physically challenging step is flipping the tire and rim. The only consideration for a proper location is that it's necessary to have a surface which is level enough and solid enough for jacking it up. A roadside is generally adequate for this task and I have done this on the side of the road plenty of times on commercial trucks.

I purchased my tire tools on ebay for about $150.00 and I bought a 1" air wrench which was freshly rebuilt for about the same price. I purchased a military surplus Humvee scissor jack to lift the axle weight once I jack the coach with it's leveling jacks from ebay for $30. I had a few other incidentals that I had to purchase that totaled about $120 including: chrome nut cover pliers (to remove chrome nut covers), aluminum rim protector ring (to protect wheel from being scuffed by the socket) 1/2 ID air hose (to supply large volume of air for 1" impact) 2 gallon air tank ( to help impact with air volume) and various fittings to connect it all. The impact wrench, jack and all other tools fit inside the spare tire in the basement compartment with plenty of room for other incidentals. This does not include the slide hammer or the tire iron which are longer and must be stored next to one of my basement slide out trays in a space which was otherwise unused.

C’mon, this is not a real world scenario and all you did was dismount the tire. Nice level concrete driveway, shop full of tools behind you. Hell you may as well have cracked open a beer and had a sandwich. Go out to your nearest freeway and video from start to finish. It’s not the same as doing this at home. I’m off this thread, enjoy and good luck.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:37 PM   #21

Quote:
There are ways to hurt yourself doing anything involving heavy equipment and it's unfortunate your friend experienced an accident like this. However, people change tires on a daily basis without incident. I have changed many more than I can count and I would estimate the number of truck tires to be in the mid thousands. I have never hurt myself or known anyone else who has. Actually a few exposed steel belts have nicked my hand before, but otherwise no injuries.

However, none of this is relevant because we are talking about a choice. You have stated that you would rather have someone else change your tire in the unlikely event of a failure. The OP has clearly stated that his choice is to be self sufficient.
Yes you are 100% right peaple do change tires everyday even the road side tire replacement truck service tech changes them every day. But the average Joe dose not change them every day and when dealing with the amount of psi it takes to seat the bead of a tire that size presents a risk that the average Joe is not aware of and for all the cost involved for the right tools to do the job you could simply add that to the yearly insurance bill and be covered..but you are also correct it is a choice and I choose to be self sufficient by paying someone else to bust there hump to put a current year tire on my rig. Keep in mind that odds are that spare will age out before you ever need it and if you do end up putting it on your rig there is a strong possibility that you will be taking it back off to keep an updated time stamp tire on your rig...so in the grand scheme of things what was saved? You can try to plan for most things but if its actually cheaper to just put the insurance coverage in place then why put yourself in a situation that could end up costing you more time and money...sorry for the rant I know it's a matter of choice
nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:12 PM   #22

All these responses about insurance just crack me up.

How much is that insurance worth when you are in the middle of nowhere with no cell signal? Insurance or not when traveling in suburbia calling mobile repair is easy. Not so much when the Calvary is not just around the corner.

I for one appreciated the video. It is a valid option for an emergency. Flat on the side of the highway with traffic doesn't constitute an emergency in my book. I already have a 1" impact gun and most of the tools but I'm going with the option of buying a wheel to mount my spare on. My preference is to let someone else do the heavy lifting but when help is not available we will be back on the road in short order.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:22 PM   #23

I appreciate the comments. I think it's great that something I learned to do as a kid at a menial unskilled job is now considered such an impressive and seemingly impossible feat to accomplish. It does not matter to me if anyone else has a spare or not. I am not trying to talk anyone into anything. The OP had a valid question and I was trying to respond with real world experience. He can decide who's comments have been more useful.

Good (flat free!!) luck to everyone

Old 10-30-2019, 06:35 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a spare that came on my rig already. The only thing is I went to get the fuel pump and lines replaced and found out the tire was 14 years old (original). When they took it down the said it took like 1 hour and not even sure how I would have got it down on the side of the highway. I had them leave it down because at 14 years old it is probably no good anyway. I will find another way to mount it.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:45 PM   #25

At least having the tools and spare tire, you have some options. Without the tools or spare tire, you have no options other than to wait for help!
If you do carry tools and a spare tire, then practice using them preferably once a year so you will have no surprises when you need to use them. I grease my trailer wheel bearings once a year and just use the tools I carry in the RV for practice. When I did have a blowout, it was just a matter of going through the steps and I was gone in 20 minutes.
A MH tire is bigger tire, but it still can be changed by 1 person with practice. My son has 38 tires on his semi and he probably changes 1 tire a month (ave).
Note - A 14 year old spare is better than no spare during time of need.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:54 PM   #26

Quote:
Not absurd at all. I will post a video of me changing a tire in my driveway to demonstrate how simple it is.

To address a few points which were raised:

Most times the bead will seat by simply applying air when the tire is standing up. Sometimes a bit of a push on the rim is needed to get the rim contacting the bead. In more rare circumstances a shot of ether will get it to seat.

There are no cutting tools or brute strength required. Tire tools (essentially large specialized prybars) are used to lift the tire on and of the lugs and to remove/ install the tire onto the wheel. If someone can pick up 50 lbs then they can change out a truck tire.
I agree 100%. We travel in remote areas and I once had to wait over 24 hours for "Road Service". Luckily, we had cell service and the Coach Net service guys only had a 400 mile round trip. Since then I carry a mounted spare and although I also have the tools, know how and ability to break down and mount a tire. BTW, I'm 78 years old, and have been mounting tires and repairing trucks and cars since I was 20

Some observations. Get a 20Ton bottle jack to support your axle after lifting it with the leveling jacks. Smaller than a jack stand to store. If you have break a tire bead on the road a hammer like this https://www.tooldiscounter.com/product/ken-tool-17-inch-duck-billed-bead-breaking-wedge-ken35327?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqKnHo6DF5Q IVy56zCh0FWQyCEAQYEyABEgJdffD_BwE is a requirement. In addition, get some tire lube and apply it to the bead both before breaking the bead and when mounting in addition to the tire irons.

We have used the mounted spare one time but the swap out occurred in Whitehorse, YT. Good we had it as there were no tires in town and shipping one in would have cost about $600 in addition to the cost of the tire.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:58 PM   #27

American Coach Owners Club
I changed all 8 of my tires on my coach. 315-22.5 and 295-22.5
If someone wants to do it for themselves it is very possible to do with the right tools.
I wanted to mention that I used a Milwaukee 1/2" M18 Hi torque impact. It had no trouble removing the nuts.
I'm all in with the DIY guys if at all possible.
Green D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:12 PM   #28

Our coach has 315s on steel wheels. It's beyond my ability to change a tire by myself. But, having the mounted spare, jack, and other tools necessary means that all I have to find is help if I have a flat or blowout while on the road.

Nearly anywhere in the US that is served by trucks it will be possible to find a crew to come out and help change a tire. They may not have access to the correct tire though, so having one with me means that they can still help.

In those few places a roadside tire crew is not available, I will place my hopes in being able to find at least one or two people willing to lend me a hand so that the tire can be changed. Again, having the tire and tools will make this possible.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote