Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2015, 07:41 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Question Spare tire on roof??

I read with interest the recent spare tire discussion and have decided to carry one if possible. Several ideas for storing the tire were presented but I didn't see anything about carrying it on the roof. Has anybody done this an if so what is the best way to do it? I was up on the mh roof a few days ago and it looks like there would be plenty of room for a spare tire up there. This is on a 42' dp. I have equipment to get it up there and of course getting it down wouldn't be a problem. I'm interested in the ideas and experiences of fellow rvers. TIA Ed

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2015, 08:09 PM   #2

What "equipment" will you have on the road? As you say getting it down is easy, but dangerous as they are heavy.

Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:31 PM   #3

Just toss it down on the curb side so it don't bounce back onto the highway!

i have room under the very back of my coach, so I'm going to make a little cage with a detachable part, and see how that goes.

The best laid plans - right now it's (the tire is) sitting against a pole near the entry door of the coach. Every time I walk by that way, I can hear it. It's calling out, "Hey, you there, remember me? What about homeless not-so-little ole me, eh???"

Sigh.
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:34 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Carry a spare...

I carried a 14' hobie 2 person kayak on our last DP roof, wasn't easy to get it up or down but I did it.. Then I started to tow a suv with a rack on top.. much easier :-)

There is a hitch mounted spare tire carrier by roadmaster, that might be the ticket. Aluminum wheels are lighter than steel... I plan on weighing mine soon just to find out how much. The tough part is getting it up and down.. I'm a buffet shy of 300 pounds and the roof hasn't collapsed on me yet.

Read my recent post about the "cost of a blowout".

and remember that new tires fail too.... not just the 7 year old tires.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:58 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Arrow

Just a couple things to clarify. I want to put a spare unmounted tire on the roof. Permanently if possible and if it never gets used that is the best scenario. I'm wondering how others have done it. Wrapped tire strapped on? Mounted holder or container, etc?

Should be able to drop it down if needed.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:02 PM   #6

I too have read about the legend of the roof top spare guy so far I haven't met him. Also I believe you can put it around a fantastic vent opening if you are toting a 22.5" tire. Wrap it in foil and it will last forever or something like that. Unfortunately for me I keep ending up with coach's with no ladder so there is no possible way I could carry a tire up/down safely. But if you can hoarse a tire up to the roof and can do all the required steps to change the tire.......my hats off to ya!
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happytrails3 View Post
I read with interest the recent spare tire discussion and have decided to carry one if possible. Several ideas for storing the tire were presented but I didn't see anything about carrying it on the roof. Has anybody done this an if so what is the best way to do it? I was up on the mh roof a few days ago and it looks like there would be plenty of room for a spare tire up there. This is on a 42' dp. I have equipment to get it up there and of course getting it down wouldn't be a problem. I'm interested in the ideas and experiences of fellow rvers. TIA Ed
I surely admire your drive and thought process here. Not to chastise anyone here but, most would simply answer your post here with: "I just pick up the phone and call my road side service". Well, that's fine if that's what they choose. That's why we live in AMERICA, so we can CHOOSE our options.

Now, whatever method you have for getting the tire (and possible wheel) up there, must be pretty good since, based on my exact weight takings of my own D/P wheels and tires, THEY'RE NOT LIGHT! My tires are 255 80R 22.5 and I, like most other D/P units, have an aluminum outer rear dual and, a steel inner rear dual. The Aluminum set weighs close to 142 if I recall and, the steel set weighs right close to 167 lbs. That's a ton of weight to be hoisting up and down from any mechanism that's mounted to a D/P roof.

That of course, is if you're planning on doing it that way. If you have other means, like a helicopter (just kidding) or some bumper mounted pole and winch or, whatever, to get it up there, good luck.

Now, one more thing. Being up there, your tire will be constantly exposed to the elements, 24/7. So, some protection is warranted. I used to carry our spare up there on one of our previous coaches. It was only a 16" so, not all that bad. But, it was a solid, flat, single piece of aluminum for that roof. So, I designed and mounted a raised bracket that was nut-serted to that roof. I then mounted the spare on it but, because the bracket was raised just enough, the tire sidewall did not sit on the roofing material. That allowed me to put a draw-stringed cover on that tire and, it never saw the elements.

But, you're dealing with a much larger, heavier tire. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
I too have read about the legend of the roof top spare guy so far I haven't met him. Also I believe you can put it around a fantastic vent opening if you are toting a 22.5" tire. Wrap it in foil and it will last forever or something like that. Unfortunately for me I keep ending up with coach's with no ladder so there is no possible way I could carry a tire up/down safely. But if you can hoarse a tire up to the roof and can do all the required steps to change the tire.......my hats off to ya!
I don't think a ladder would be your friend. It would just encourage you to try to haul a very heavy and awkward tire up way higher than is practical.

I'm lucky in that I have a bay that my unmounted tire fits in. Hopefully it will sit there till it rots and never be needed.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:48 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks Scott. The raised bracket and a drawstring cover sounds like it would work good. Getting the tire up there is a one time project that can be accomplished by a variety of industrial equipment.

PS. If you read dbywaters post on the cost of a blowout you can see why I want the spare tire. Also, because I put traction tires on the drive axle I have spares on hand.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:52 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
On our last trip... I saw a spare tire but not the wheel on a motorhome roof with no cover and thought, 'well, that poor tire sitting there in the sun forever won't be able to be used when they need it most likely'... mine mounts on the back and is covered.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:59 PM   #11

I carried a spare in a rooftop storage box on my old Class C. Quite a bit smaller than a 22.5" wheel/tire, but still fairly heavy. Put it up there (once) and never used it.

It was kind of like this one:

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:03 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
jondrew..I hope my spare rots unused too. Just don't want it taking up space in the basement storage while that process happens.

Tags
roof