Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2013, 05:47 AM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my 2006 Hurricane on a Workhorse Chassis, I fit an unmounted spare between the frame rails under the rear of my RV. I wrapped it in cellophane to keep the weather out. I also have a torque multiplier tool to remove the 450 ft/Lb torqued lug nuts. I also carry a jack stand and wheel chock.

I also have Coach-net roadside service and will most likely let them change it if needed.

I think this question boils down to what you feel comfortable with.
Can you change a tire yourself.?
Do you want to change a tire yourself?
Do you have the tools to do it safely?
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2013, 06:33 AM   #16

At home I change heavy duty farm equipment wheels (up to 6 ft in dia) all the time. On the road I would never risk it. You claim you are new to the forum. Not sure if you are new to RVing or just new to the forum. If you are new to RVing I would be very careful changing out a tire on a MH, especially a rear tire. If you were to get a flat on your MH and had a spare you may also need power tools or breaker bar to get the wheel nuts off. Then jack up the MH and place a jack stand or blocks underneath prior to working on the MH. So you would not only need the spare tire you may need an electric impact wrench and/or an additional compressor, plus blocks or huge jack stand for safety. That is a lot of weight. Now if you are doing this on the side of the road with cars and trucks zipping by seems to me road service may be the best option. Keep that $800 in your pocket until you need it on the road with a flat. I would spend more time thinking about keeping air pressure up, and on every stop at rest areas walk around your entire rig making a routine inspection, including tires & tread. You have duals in back. Carry a jack handle or heavy duty flash light when you make the inspection. Practice smacking those duals with a flash light or jack handle. If you make this inspection at every rest stop you will become familiar with the sound and be able to tell if one of the duals is softer than the other. That doesn't mean you can ignore checking tire pressure. It means you can detect a problem that needs immediate attention. I prefer the 3 cell maglite. I can then use it to look into areas I can't see even during the day at the rest stops. Yup, I even check all running lights when I make this routine inspection at every truck stop. If you do this you will have a lot less problems on the road. i.e. watch the commercial truck drivers. JMHO.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #17

An unmounted and possibly a mounted 225R19.5 will fit between the frame rails on your Hurricane. I have an unmounted 245 hanging there on mine. Just used a couple of chains wrapped around the tire and frame rails.
jrd48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:19 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
a good place to mount your spare is on your tow hitch receiver. (there is a good post on here on how to build a spare carrier on your hitch). I don,t care to wait on somebody to change my tire when I am in some place, like I had a flat in Neb and nothlng but corn fields for miles.
I had four flats and changed them all myself before I learned to manage my tires
Old 08-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrydubois View Post
Hello all. Newbie here with a dumb question about spare tire for my brand new Hurrecane Class A 30 footer. The dealer thought I was being foolish when I asked about this since it didn't come with one. I have had enough bad experiences with flats so I am not going anywhere without a spare. I called a Ford Dealership and they want almost $800 for tire and wheel. It is a 225/70 R19.5 tire.

Question: Is this too much $$ or am I just out of touch? Is there a RV online polace to buy one? Do juck yards sell used ones? Are there RV junkyards?

Also, it has a threaded female stud under the rear end like it may be designed to hold a spare that way. Does anyone know anything about this. Because the basement doesn't have a easy place to a tire.

Your help will be greatly appreciated. And I simply love this site!

Thanks

Jerry
Hi, Jerry, there is a great way to carry your spare tire. It is called the Simpson Tire mount. You can check it out at rvtiremount.com
The person who came up with this idea had an issue with no spare tire on a trip. He built this to solve that problem. It makes getting the spare on and off the mount easy. Check it out.

Jerry
jwhinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:19 PM   #20
tpd

it's not a big deal the levelers should be able to lift the rv so a spare and a socket wrench with a piece of pipe for leverage will do the job
tpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:33 PM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpd View Post
it's not a big deal the levelers should be able to lift the rv so a spare and a socket wrench with a piece of pipe for leverage will do the job
That depends on the "levelers". Some will, some won't. Ours are rated at 12,000#'s each and we have four. Our weight is about 32,000#'s so no problem.
I don't carry a spare and at over 200#'s I'm not going to wrestle with it. Coach-Net will do it for me.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrydubois View Post
I am 49 yr old in Des Moines Iowa and see no reason why I cant change a tire. I appreciate the advice on Good Sam service though and will look into it for sure. But I am sure I could get a tire changed before a service could help.
Good for you, Jerry!!! I wish you well, and just hope we don't read about you in the paper.

I'm not intimidated by the idea of changing a tire either, but its all about the circumstances. Big Walmart parking lot, middle of the day, plenty of room all around, plenty of access, no traffic-- go for it, and God Bless. Half on, half off the breakdown lane on I-80 in Hammond IN at 5:30 pm is a different story. On non-urban highway, if its a left side flat, your butt is already sticking out into traffic as you try to work, while the MH is sharply tilted away from you due to the jack, the road crown, and drainage slope. If its a right side flat, if your jack doesn't punch through the old, eroded pavement edge, you'll be sitting on sandy gravel that slopes away from your work point while trying to wrestle 100lbs plus of tire and rim. I see no upside to any scenario here.

Are you travelling alone, Jerry? Will you have your family with you? Self reliance is a wonderful thing, a foundation point of our American culture. But responsibility goes hand-in-hand. If you're the Captain, a tire change is a far lower priority than ensuring that your vessel, crew, and passengers remain safe.

When I was still in my 18-wheeler, we used to always carry about 5-6000 lbs of spare parts with us, including one or two mounted tires ready to go. But we never tried to do the repairs ourselves. We carried the parts so that the people with the proper equipment and tools would be able to proceed promptly no matter where the problem occurred.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote