Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2014, 08:41 AM   #1

Spare Tires

How many of you carry spare tires? I only ask because I just realized I don't have one on my American Dream motor coach. I think this is something I should have but I wanted to check and see how many carry one.
thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2014, 08:47 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedman42 View Post
How many of you carry spare tires? I only ask because I just realized I don't have one on my American Dream motor coach. I think this is something I should have but I wanted to check and see how many carry one.
thanks
I carry Master Card - Visa - GS Roadside Assistance. They weigh less - cost less - and when they age out the CC companies send me new ones. Also don't carry a jack either. I do have a spare tire around my waist but I'm trying to get rid of that. I think you will find many A owners who do not and a few that do. They really are heavy - space hogs. Just my take on it...
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:03 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I carried an unmounted one for about a year. Then decided I needed the basement space for things I would actually be able to use. \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:37 AM   #4

We do. I have Coach Net service, but I also carry tools to break down, mount and install the unmounted spare tire if necessary. I can and have done this. We travel in remote areas of the southwest and Alaska and have found that this will save us days if we lose a tire. Last flat in Alaska took us 2+ days before we were back on the road, and we were in a fairly major town. Almost 250 miles just for the tire man to find the tire, get it and get it to us, plus another 100 for him to get home, and the tire was NOT a match to the ones I had on the Bus. I later found out Coach Net paid over $700 for that service call and I paid over $600 for a tire I that I had to replace when I got home.

Decide where you'll be traveling, and how important time and money is before you make your decision.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:52 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I carry one only because my coach came with one and it is a 19.5 rim. When we upgrade to a bigger coach that does not have one I may take the 'best' used tire (no rim) when replacing the old ones and stick it under the coach or is a storage bay if i have room. Other than that I also have Visa and Mastercard.
DDDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:02 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I carry an unmounted tire under the bed. Reason I carry it is because my size tire can be hard to come by in some places either new or used. In my younger days I could mount or dismount but now days maybe not. Road service can handle that part.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:33 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
On our trip to Alaska I decided it was worthwhile to carry a spare. I had just changed the front tires on the coach so I had a decent used tire to use. IMHO if you have a flat, especially on the front, the chances of ruining your rim is high, so I invested in a rim. I then fabricated a tire carrier that mounted into my trailer hitch combined with a bike rack.

Since then I've fabricated a different mount that provides a swing away function so I can have access to my engine compartment. The mount also gives me a place to carry dog pens for when my wife goes to dog shows. The mount also allows me to still tow my Jeep.

Yes this adds some weight to the RV but I think it's worth having. I carry the tools to change the tire if needed but also have AAA RV Plus for a service call if needed if my wife is flying solo.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:37 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I don't and have not since 2002. If I should ever need a tire, I would call my road service (Coach Net) and wait. I'm willing to trade some wait time and extra expense (you probably pay list price to have a tire delivered to you) for the convenience of not toting around a huge and heavy extra tire.

The last time I needed a tire was 2001 and we have been over 100k miles since then, including Alaska. I'll risk it.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:51 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Many threads here on this topic findable via search. Many responses both for and against carrying a spare. I am in the camp of carrying one. I maintain a ERS to do the actual changing of the tire. Having one means I don't run the risk of getting gouged for price if/when in need, delays in getting a tire, having to put on a tire not of my first choice, etc. I have carried both mounted and unmounted, either way is preferable to not having a Soare IMHO. I have had multiple occasions to use ERS...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:07 AM   #10

I carry a 19.5 spare under my Fleetwood Flair. It has a factory storage area.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:23 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We saved best when replacing tires & store on roof. So much easier to supply road service good spare if ever needed. Out of way yet available. Why be at mercy of tire guy in middle of nowhere?
Old 09-28-2014, 01:31 PM   #12

Spare

I also am looking to "Spare up" my rig. Got a tire now looking for a Ford F53 19.5"x6.75" 8 lug wheel to fit my 2004. Plenty of F550 wheels but they are 6" and about a half inch less on the off set. Going to use a reciever carrier to haul it on the rear. Found a Roadmaster double reciever, so I'll put the spare carrier in the top. To lift it on and off the Curtis carrier, I got a jibcrane off of Sportsmans Quide. They sell it as a lift for deer and other game, but it will make a handy spare tire lifter upper!! When done I will break it down and stow in the rear compartment. Any help in finding a RV junk yard that might have my wheel in it would be welcomed.
OldDoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 03:17 PM   #13
Community Moderator

i carry one unmounted. when i found out there was no spare tire, i bought a used tire about 50% tread but recent, and put into one of compartments. although it may never happen, if i were on a remote area and had a flat, good sam's could find somebody to come over, but more than likely he may not have the tire size... it'll save not only money but also time...
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 03:43 PM   #14

We don't carry one for our 40' MH and have been traveling constantly in it for 10 years, including Canada, the Yukon and Alaska. However, we take good care of our tires, check them often and replace by age - not by looks. We have roadside assistance but have never used it. If we happened to be stuck alongside the road we'd just make the best of it during our wait and enjoy the scenery. That's just us.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires