Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2006, 06:10 AM   #1

Howdy folks...

I wasn't sure exactly which category to put this one, so I placed it here, Admins or mods feel free, of course to place it where it should have went with my apologies.

I did a search for this subject but didn't really find much so I will ask Class A owners directly.

My wife and I fell in lust with a Newmar Essex at a recent RV show riding on a Spartan k2 chassis. While I am familiar with many of the pro and cons of "commercial vs custom" chassis', my question is for owners who are riding the k2 or k3 chassis.

How is it? Are they any particular RV type tradeoffs that you may have to encounter with these chassis"? Would you buy another? Any problems surfaced with the Spartan chassis?

We have had our eyes on Monacos with the Roadmaster chassis and Country Coach with their Dynomax ride for some time now. I'm just partial to the custom chassis built specifically for this type of application.

While, with the Lord's blessings, we are still hopefully a couple years away from the big purchase, I am just trying to do my homework on different aspects of the units.

Thanks to you folks! It's nice to belong to a forum board where folks talk nice and sensible and don't make fun of us, uhhh, coughcough "technologically impaired"

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2006, 06:57 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm just partial to the custom chassis built specifically for this type of application. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
JIMMY JAM: I can't help you much with the K2 question, but I'm sure some of our members can. I wanted to suggest you add the PEAK chassis, mfg. by WRV for their ALPINE COACH, to you list of custom chassis. Down in the OWNERS CORNER there is an Alpine Coach forum, and you'll get lots of good info there as well. ED

Old 02-22-2006, 07:17 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I am not familiar with the K2 or K3, but have the Spartan Mountain Master chassis on our Winnebago Ultimate and are very pleased with the ride, handling, and overall performance.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:56 AM   #4

I also have the MM GT Spartan chassis but have researched the K2 and K3 chassis's. I'm very pleased with the Spartan and feel similar to you in regards to the Essex. The K2 chassis may become even more widely used by Newmar as I suspect they may include it on the Mountain Aires at some stage. This would of course raise the MA price substantially. If and when they do this watch for a turned down ISM pumping probably 450 HP.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:22 AM   #5

Can you imagine a 450 horse ISM in that chassis? Talk about carryin' the mail!
Old 02-23-2006, 08:15 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If and when they do this watch for a turned down ISM pumping probably 450 HP. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
LUG_NUT: Can you help me understand the rational behind "turning down" an engine's capabilities. If it can make 500 hp and 1550 lbs/ft of torque, what is "saved" or "gained" by the turn down?? . Do they charge less for the lowered rating or what? Thanks for any insight you can offer. ED
Old 02-23-2006, 03:02 PM   #7

Edgray, That's a very good question but you see it in many makes like the '06 DSDP with an ISL 370 whereas the MADP has an ISL 400. It seems to be a price point. Perhaps the lower HP is sold from Cummins cheaper as the warranty claims would be somewhat less all things being equal. If it is only a program, and I'm not sure, maybe the program license is less cost for the derated. There might also be an accessoroy or two on the egine that is extra or larger, but I'm not real certain. It will, however be the lesser HP if we can used past performance of the production of a lower priced units that seems to be the way Newmar reacts.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:23 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

It's undoubtedly a price point issue for their marketing plan. Newmar offered the 400 ISL in the Mountain Aire while they offered the 370 ISL in the Dutch Star in the 2004 model year. That gave buyers one more reason to upgrade to the MADP and better defined the steps between models. Also, the 370 ISL was standard from Cummins with an exhaust brake, which reduced the price, while the 400 ISL came standard with the engine compression brake. However, many manufacturers spec'd out the 370 ISL with the exhaust brake also so there really wasn't much difference in price.

The K2 normally comes with the 500 ISM but can be ordered with a 450 HP ISM. Again, the only reason I would see the need for that is to keep those marketing "steps" in place. With the Essex running the 500 and the 40' MADP running the 400 it would place a tag axle MADP that much closer to an Essex with the 500 ISM. A basic rule of marketing is to have definite steps between models or levels. If they blend together buyers tend to go with the lower priced models.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 09:23 AM   #9

Good explanation Cruzer. That makes sense.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:06 AM   #10

Hi Jimmy Jam. That's awesome. How can I get that? I think I will need it.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:15 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
The K3 chassis is built like a tank, and the Cummins ISX has the power for it. Maintenance on the ISX is a tad expensive, it takes 45 quarts of oil for a change.

joe
Old 07-18-2010, 05:58 AM   #12
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Maintenance on the ISX is a tad expensive, it takes 45 quarts of oil for a change.
GULP!

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:16 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

makindue - this thread is over 4 years old. Jimmy-Jan is probably not going to respond.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote