Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2014, 09:44 AM   #15

Spartan Extol

Smitty77,
Thanks for your response. Yes, I have made a short test drive in a 2012 Newmar Baystar about a year and a half ago. I was really impressed by the improved turning radius compared to my E-450. Mines a 2007 with the 305hp 2valve and 5 speed Torqueshift. The engine and trans are to quote Chevy " Rock Solid" but, I'm not crazy about the high rpm necessary to get HP and Torque when needed. I wish the Torqueshift were 8 or 10 speed vs 5 which I understand is coming, but too late for me. Multi speed transmissions appear to be auto engineers answer to future increased MPG.

The F53 is still leaf spring suspension like my Grandmaw's buggy!
Ford has been making the F53 for over 20 years and with a lock on the market they don't appear to be too anxious to make substantial improvements to ride quality. Look at all the threads both here and RV.net about all the Mod's necessary to improve drivability only to have the poster say; "well it's not the air ride you get with a DP". Why won't they make an air ride available on a gasser? It will take competition from Spartan and others to drive them to make these improvements. I don't want to buy an F53 gasser and have to put a Kelderman System on it for many $1,000's to have a comfortable ride. Besides Mod's don't seem to carry over to resale value. Just ask "Golden Crazy" about that. People price used RV's at NADA base price.

I would also like to see GM bring out there 4.5 l diesel for 30-33ft Class A's (on an air ride chassis) to compete with the Maxforce7. A diesel without DEF and the exhaust turbo on top where the intake manifold used to be and a block made from compacted grafitic iron. Over 300 hp and 520 ft-lbs torque; How Cool is that! This is a diesel engine that can fit in a pickup or SUV.

Thanks for listening,
Pete

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2014, 10:22 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete2 View Post
I would also like to see GM bring out there 4.5 l diesel for 30-33ft Class A's (on an air ride chassis) to compete with the Maxforce7. A diesel without DEF and the exhaust turbo on top where the intake manifold used to be and a block made from compacted grafitic iron. Over 300 hp and 520 ft-lbs torque; How Cool is that! This is a diesel engine that can fit in a pickup or SUV.

Thanks for listening,
Pete
Pete: I agree with everything you said, until I got to the part I put in bold above. Since "GM" isn't in the class A chassis business anymore (since 1999), how could they do that? Also, other than the Tiffin "Breeze" chassis, do you know of any class A chassis using the MF-7 ? Thanks, ed

Old 02-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #17

Hi Pete - Thanks for sharing your F53 in a newer coaches test drive results. I hear you on the higher number of gears for the auto. And understand your comment about leaf springs still being the norm. Suppose the costs of a higher equipped gas chassis, would move the costs up too close to the DP chassis. Builders need price points for multiple customers.

I do like the theme of your posts about more engines, chassis = competition, and more choices. That is always good.

Best,
Smitty
Old 02-23-2014, 08:14 PM   #18

Spartan Extol

Edgray,

I brought up the GM 4.5 L diesel as GM has already designed, engineered, and tested it before shelving it when the Govt. bought into GM and made them cut programs to cut costs. This engine has the exhaust manifold on top where the intake is normally located and is lighter in weight allowing it to be placed on the front axle of a pick-up or SUV. Rated at 300 HP and 520 Ft-Lbs. torque with 30% fuel improvement. I believe it would be a great power plant for Class C RV's and 28-34 ft Class A's. I realize GM no longer makes a Class A RV Chassis, but I believe this would be another option for the Spartan Extol air ride Chassis or the LF72. (Wishful thinking on my part to increase competition).

I also wish these guy's would make an RV chassis. Yahoo!

Pete
Old 01-01-2015, 08:13 PM   #19

Is Spartan ever going to make the Extol Chassis?
Old 01-02-2015, 09:49 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete2 View Post
Is Spartan ever going to make the Extol Chassis?
Given that many new products are introduced at the dealer-only expo in Louisville, the lack of an announcement from any coach builder or Spartan makes that appear unlikely.

The contradictory statements from Spartan reps at the 2014 TSS (top of this thread) only add to the mystery.

Perhaps some of our members will make at point of asking (again ) at the 2015 TSS.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:53 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Given that many new products are introduced at the dealer-only expo in Louisville, the lack of an announcement from any coach builder or Spartan makes that appear unlikely.

The contradictory statements from Spartan reps at the 2014 TSS (top of this thread) only add to the mystery.

Perhaps some of our members will make at point of asking (again ) at the 2015 TSS.

I walked in the Spartan booth at the RVIA show a few weeks ago and didn't notice anything new, but don't hold me to that.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:17 AM   #22

I think it would be great for the industry to have a second chassis available.

But the idea of a limited in-service engine could be a huge liability. I would rather see them work with Toyota or Nissan for a big V8, or, of course, the unicorn dream of using the Cummins 5.0 V8 that's coming out in the Nissan Titan -- which could be inexpensive enough (coupled with perhaps a slightly less expensive diesel generator, or perhaps (even better?) with a mega-alternator/genset like we have seen on some of the newer Sprinter engines...

Steve
Old 01-03-2015, 05:53 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
I think it would be great for the industry to have a second chassis available.

But the idea of a limited in-service engine could be a huge liability. I would rather see them work with Toyota or Nissan for a big V8, or, of course, the unicorn dream of using the Cummins 5.0 V8 that's coming out in the Nissan Titan -- which could be inexpensive enough (coupled with perhaps a slightly less expensive diesel generator, or perhaps (even better?) with a mega-alternator/genset like we have seen on some of the newer Sprinter engines...

Steve
Put that engine in the rear, add some real airbags to the chassis and Wheel mounted electric motors in the front driven by that mega/alternator genset Steve mentioned.

Check them out here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=brab...w&ved=0CB0QsAQ
Old 01-03-2015, 07:11 PM   #24
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The front wheel drive add-on for heavy duty chassis is already commercially available...
EZ Trac Product Selector

It's hydraulic - not electric - reducing un-sprung weight. But could be powered by a PTO, an auxiliary drive engine, or even electric/hybrid drive.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:25 PM   #25

I liked that Extol chassis. I hope something comes of it.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:07 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
The front wheel drive add-on for heavy duty chassis is already commercially available...
EZ Trac Product Selector

It's hydraulic - not electric - reducing un-sprung weight. But could be powered by a PTO, an auxiliary drive engine, or even electric/hybrid drive.

Safe travels
If it adds the extra torque on take off that an electric motor supplies that would be a great fuel saving addition.

Pete

Tags
chassis, spartan, gas