Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-18-2014, 10:50 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
tuffr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Palm Coast Florida
Posts: 2,458
Spartan Gas Chassis - it is still alive!!!

I heard this from the Spartan Rep at the Tampa Show that the large gas engine on a Spartan Gas Chassis should come to market in 3rd or 4th quarter 2014. Yes, later this year!!!

That this project is not dead!!! Cool.
__________________

__________________
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2014, 01:07 AM   #2
Community Moderator
 
Scarab0088's Avatar


 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 14,054
The Extol or the Revel? Did the rep mention any specifics?
See: Spartan Chassis

I hope the rep is right. The 8.8L equipped Extol is really needed IMHO to provide an upgrade to the monopoly that Ford has.
2014 Ford Stripped Chassis F-53 Class A Motorhome | See All The Stripped Chassis F-53 Class A Motorhome Highlights | Ford.com

Getting the engine an EPA cert was the issue in the past. But even after it comes to market, then the RV builders will have to risk ordering and offering the Spartan option.

Thanks for the news.
__________________

__________________
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:08 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
tuffr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Palm Coast Florida
Posts: 2,458
The rep told me that the Class 'C' chassis was ahead of the class 'A' chassis. He implied the Class 'C' chassis was already being offered.

It is the 8.8 litre class 'A' chassis that is still alive.

To me, a 5th wheel owner, this is a big deal because in 3 to 5 years I just might switch to Class 'A' gas if there is a better option than Ford.
__________________
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:34 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
edgray's Avatar


 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Madison, MS
Posts: 7,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I heard this from the Spartan Rep at the Tampa Show that the large gas engine on a Spartan Gas Chassis should come to market in 3rd or 4th quarter 2014. Yes, later this year!!!

That this project is not dead!!! Cool.
I sure hope your source is correct, but when I asked the guy occupying the Spartan chassis display at the TSS about the likelihood of the Extol chassis being used, he opined just the opposite. At first he acted like he had never heard of Extol, but after I refreshed his memory, he said "that was a pre-mature announcement that should never have been made". I wish I had written down his name......and I sincerely hope he was as mis-informed as he appeared to be.

Any idea which coach builder will be the first to market?
__________________
2016 EC Aspire 42RBQ / 2014 CR-V
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
tuffr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Palm Coast Florida
Posts: 2,458
I hope that is not true. The consumers really need another chassis option other than Ford.

The Rep at Tampa knew exactly what I was talking about. Said the smaller class 'C' chassis was already in the market. Does anyone know about it? Who is going to use it?

I sure hope the larger class 'A' chassis makes it to market too.
__________________
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:25 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
edgray's Avatar


 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Madison, MS
Posts: 7,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I hope that is not true. The consumers really need another chassis option other than Ford.

The Rep at Tampa knew exactly what I was talking about. Said the smaller class 'C' chassis was already in the market. Does anyone know about it? Who is going to use it?

I sure hope the larger class 'A' chassis makes it to market too.
IF the class C chassis is the "REVEL", I've not seen any builder advertising it. Likewise, I've not seen any on-road application of the 8.8L motor advertised. I would think that would be "big news" if somebody was using it.
__________________
2016 EC Aspire 42RBQ / 2014 CR-V
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:17 PM   #7
Community Moderator
 
Scarab0088's Avatar


 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 14,054
Just looking a the PSI website, while I have not seen any "breaking news" about an EPA approval, they are listing the 8.8 as a On-Highway engine option(?)

See: On-Highway Engines | Power Solutions International, Inc. – Cleantech Engine Manufacturing

I would think the EPA cert would need to come before listing as such...but I am no expert in these matters.

Safe travels
__________________
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:22 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 37
Spartan Extol Chassis

I'd like to see one of these under a Newmar Ventana.
__________________
purduepete2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:12 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
edgray's Avatar


 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Madison, MS
Posts: 7,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete2 View Post
I'd like to see one of these under a Newmar Ventana.
Newmar would likely use this front engine chassis under their canyon star product, IMO.
__________________
2016 EC Aspire 42RBQ / 2014 CR-V
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:09 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 37
Spartan Extol Chassis

That's OK by me too! If they can use a floor plan like the Vetanna with camp side dining and bedroom slides and midship TV that's viewable from couch, front seats and dining booth I'm all for it. I'd like to move up to 30-34 ft Class A gasser on something other than the F 53 that needs all the modifications to make it drivable and 4400 rpm to get the torque needed to get it over the mountains. JMHO

I would also like to see an Extol with duel fuel gasoline/CNG and no Propane.

Pete
__________________
purduepete2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:22 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Smitty77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Over the next hill, around the next curve...
Posts: 3,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete2 View Post
That's OK by me too! If they can use a floor plan like the Vetanna with camp side dining and bedroom slides and midship TV that's viewable from couch, front seats and dining booth I'm all for it. I'd like to move up to 30-34 ft Class A gasser on something other than the F 53 that needs all the modifications to make it drivable and 4400 rpm to get the torque needed to get it over the mountains. JMHO

I would also like to see an Extol with duel fuel gasoline/CNG and no Propane.

Pete

Hi Pete - While I admit I have not, I was wondering if you have driven a newer higher end gasser on the F53 chassis? I also admit that in my entry level Bounder on a 99 F53 chassis, I did have to make quite a few suspension mod's to enjoy the handling/ride of the coach.

The manufacturers of RV's that spec the 26K F53 Chassis, usually have them equipped with the Ford good suspension parts. Including the rear panhard and adequate sway bars front and rear. They're reported as much improved on the handling front, from the earlier F53 V10 chassis's.

I'd still add the Safety-T-Plus for emergency handling during a blowout.

But, I wonder if you did a test drive on a higher end gasser with proper F53 chassis - if you would find it all that lacking? The 5spd auto gets good reports, just about eliminating the advantage Workhorse had with the 8.1/Allison combo.

Speculation on my part, but if I were shopping for a new gasser - I would check out the improvements.

Best to you, and all,
Smitty
__________________
Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:08 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
edgray's Avatar


 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Madison, MS
Posts: 7,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete2 View Post
That's OK by me too!...............

I would also like to see an Extol with duel fuel gasoline/CNG and no Propane.

Pete
I recently read where Spartan has hired a guy specifically to develop their "specialty vehicles" RV business. Here is a partial paste of the article published by RVB:

QUOTE>Spartan Chassis Inc., a business unit of Spartan Motors Inc., announced the addition of Timothy Hamm as vice president, sales and business development, specialty vehicles. According to a press release, the hiring of Hamm demonstrates Spartan Chassis’s continued commitment to the recreational vehicle industry.....<END QUOTE

Maybe if enough RVers let Mr. Hamm know of their desire for an alternative to Ford's F53 he will be able to convince a few coach builders to offer it. Unfortunately, the article did not include his contact info.
__________________
2016 EC Aspire 42RBQ / 2014 CR-V
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:32 PM   #13
Community Moderator
 
Scarab0088's Avatar


 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 14,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
I recently read where Spartan has hired a guy specifically to develop their "specialty vehicles" RV business. Here is a partial paste of the article published by RVB:

QUOTE>Spartan Chassis Inc., a business unit of Spartan Motors Inc., announced the addition of Timothy Hamm as vice president, sales and business development, specialty vehicles. According to a press release, the hiring of Hamm demonstrates Spartan Chassis’s continued commitment to the recreational vehicle industry.....<END QUOTE

Maybe if enough RVers let Mr. Hamm know of their desire for an alternative to Ford's F53 he will be able to convince a few coach builders to offer it. Unfortunately, the article did not include his contact info.
Here is Timothy Hamm's Page on "LinkedIn" (I think).
Tim Hamm | LinkedIn

I am not a member of LinkedIn - so I can't read the full Profile.

Safe travels
__________________
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:09 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
edgray's Avatar


 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Madison, MS
Posts: 7,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post

Here is Timothy Hamm's Page on "LinkedIn" (I think).
Tim Hamm | LinkedIn

I am not a member of LinkedIn - so I can't read the full Profile.

Safe travels
My wife won't allow me to have any more "links", either
__________________

__________________
2016 EC Aspire 42RBQ / 2014 CR-V
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chassis, spartan, gas



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spartan chassis wheel ? Dieselpusher Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum 5 11-17-2016 07:09 AM
Spartan Chassis with Evans Dash air montiem Newmar Owner's Forum 28 07-29-2013 11:20 AM
spartan chassis aalarsen Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum 1 07-13-2013 03:26 AM
Freightliner XCR vs. Spartan MMGT Chassis handling JerryKelly Newmar Owner's Forum 5 06-25-2013 07:11 AM
1995 Spartan MM Chassis: Check your Dessicant Air Filter! jaytho Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum 0 06-08-2013 10:14 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.