Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-30-2014, 07:51 AM   #29
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Now I am glad I live in New Jersey !

Gene & Ginger 04 Winnebago Adventurer 33V, Workhorse, 11 Subaru Forester (Toad), Blue Ox Aladdin, BrakeBuddy, ScanGaugeII, BatteryMINDer, KONI FSD's
Gene's Pictures Ginger's Pictures Gene's Videos
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2014, 08:13 AM   #30

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Originally Posted by TBS-POPS View Post
40ft is the maximum length motorhome that can be driven with a regular class c license and as said you can tow anything up to 10k pounds ( towed weight ) and under 65' total length. If the motorhome is over 40' then a class a noncommercial license is needed and then your towed weight can exceed 10k pounds but you still have to be under 65' total length.

This is for a California based driver and vehicle. Other states are different.

Class B non commercial, not an A in Calif.

Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:21 AM   #31
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by kitloft View Post
I was told by DMV, NC, personally, that for a 40 ft RV, has to have non-commercial license class B license, but with a tow u must have a non-commercial license class A. All states required simmered laws. When in doubt ask the dmv!!!!
I am sure that the DMV might be able to answer questions about their own state laws ( read posts about going to different DMV offices in texas for class b license and you wont be as sure they can answer for their own state) HOWEVER. They are not equipped to answer about laws in other states. I know for a fact that Arkansas and Oklahoma do not have those kind of laws because I live in both. I am married to an attorney licensed in both. I can use my Arkansas driving license to drive my 38 ft Motor Home pulling a toad in any state in the United States. I can do so because of Article IV section 1 of the United States Constitution the Full Faith and Credit Clause. You might want to read it and see why it allows you to do that. Where a person could get into a problem if they buy a Motor Home for instance in Arkansas and have a Texas Drivers license they would have to have a class b license to drive in Arkansas even though Arkansas does not require one. Of course I do not know too many police officers that know the Motor Vehicle Code for every state in the United STates.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:22 AM   #32

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Boy, a LOT of misinformation here.

First... you cannot have a motor home that is longer than 45'...period.

Two... you need a Class "B" non-commercial license for any motor home over 40'. Class "C" for any motor home 40' or less.

Three... the combination of motor home and trailer/toad cannot be longer than 65'.

I just got my class B last year and am very familiar with the law concerning the above.

Ditto: 60 years in Calif. Folks are adding confusing information for other states. OP specifically says Calif.
Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:32 AM   #33
Originally Posted by Bug512 View Post
Now I am glad I live in New Jersey !
Regardless of the State, I believe the following is pertinent to the discussion:

Just keep in mind that, in actuality, "a person" at DMV told you that you didn't need a special license in ?? state. The DMV didn't tell you, just someone who worked there and that was probably not in writing. Not to mention how long ago it was.

Case in point, I bought my first motorhome (used) in Illinois in 2005, from a retired IL State Trooper. Both he and "the person" I called at Secretary of State DMV told me my "regular" license was OK.

Well, 7 years later I discovered that either they were misinformed (which, I firmly believe was the case) or the law changed with little or no fanfare. The Drivers License Classifications in Illinois start calling for a different classification from the "standard" Class D license when the vehicle exceeds 16,000 lbs GVRW! There are additional call-outs for vehicles with a GVWR in excess of 26,000 lbs and on top of that, differences defined when a towed vehicle weighs more or less than 10,000 lbs.

The bottom line is: I called DMV and they "said" I was OK, when, in fact I wasn't. I had to obtain a copy of the "Illinois Rules of the Road for Non-CDL Vehicles" to discover that I needed a special license.
Full Timing since 2005
09 Journey 34Y, 2015 Grand Cherokee Toad
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:03 PM   #34
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by sctdixon View Post
Not to highjack the thread, but...

What is the penalty for this overall length infraction in California if you're over 65' in length?

Do they just give you a ticket and you're on your way?

Do the make you unhook and require an alternate vehile to tow whatever it is you're towing?

Cause I'm way over length and may picking up some work in CA soon.
The penalty depends on the County, the fine schedules are different in each County as the fees they collect varies.
As for overlength, if CHP is having a slow scales day, you may get stopped by one of the Commercial folks, most of the regular Patrol folks are clueless on length. If they catch you they will make you disconnect whatever it is you are towing that makes you over length, and tell you you must not tow it behind your rig, you have to tow with something else. I have heard of it happening once, and it was one of the portable scales guys who was bored and saw it go by. They were also on a restricted road, max. of 30' to kingpen, and the rig was over 40' without the trailer, so the rig was illegal on the road anyway. Anytime you see a sign stating restricted to 30' or less to kingpen, it is a restricted to less than 40' road.

2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E
2007 Chev Classic CC LB D/A - Toad
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited - Backup Toad
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote

california, tow