Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2015, 07:20 PM   #15

Special license needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
x2 and not just a portion of it but all of it. Knowledge is powerful.

Yep!
Some will come back with "I've never had a problem". If they just study the CDL manual they will say "wow, that not only makes sense but makes driving easier and safer". They can shed the fear!
When you can confidently drive in downtown traffic and make the tight corners, or pull up to a standard fuel pump, or back into a space in one shot, etc, it feels very good.
No curb feelers required.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2015, 07:55 PM   #16

Personally, I think EVERYONE should have to drive for an examiner, or "instructor" everytime they go to renew their DL.
As a private pilot, we have to fly with an instructor every two years to stay current to fly an airplane. And, we have to pay for it. It's not a pass or fail thing, it's an instructional/education thing.
Driving, it is a privilage, should be no different. I'd be willing to bet there'd be a lot less accidents, and insurance rates might be lower.
The only one's that would object, are the one's that are less confident in their driving skills. ie the sorry drivers.
There.......that's my rant

Old 11-27-2015, 08:50 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by knugent View Post
I have a class B CDL since I drive commercial tour buses. The 26000 lb. requirement pertains only to commercial vehicles. If your rig has a private coach or private bus plate, then you are not required to have a CDL, regardless of the weight. Although I don't advocate having to spend the money for a CDL to drive one of these rigs, I do feel that some type of formal training should be required
Maybe in LA, but not true in Texas. You must have a Class B endorsement if GVWR is over 26000 pounds. In one section of Texas law it deals only with commercial vehicles that require a class B, but in another section is specifically says ANY vehicle over 26,000.

Sec. 521.082. CLASS B LICENSE. (a) A Class B driver's license authorizes the holder of the license to operate:
(1) a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating that is more than 26,000 pounds;
(2) a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,000 pounds or more towing:
(A) a vehicle, other than a farm trailer, with a gross vehicle weight rating that is not more than 10,000 pounds
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Maybe in LA, but not true in Texas. You must have a Class B endorsement if GVWR is over 26000 pounds. In one section of Texas law it says only commercial vehicles require a class B, but in another section is specifically says ANY vehicle over 26,000.
But it's a non-commercial class B license not a CDL class B.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:10 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
But it's a non-commercial class B license not a CDL class B.
That is true, but the written, air brake and driving tests are exactly the same as a full CDL and the way they issue them is as a Class B Commercial "exempt" in that you are exempt from the physicals and you can not haul commercially. At least, that's the way my tests went and the way it was issued.

There should be a special section for RV testing and licensing, but there aren't any distinctions yet in Texas between RV and CDL.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:47 PM   #20

In Arizona, if you have a Class C to drive a car then that's all you need to drive any RV. There re no special RV licenses in AZ. On the down side the registration fees for RV's are outrageous (over $1000 when my Voltage was new).
Old 11-27-2015, 09:48 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by malexander View Post
Personally, I think EVERYONE should have to drive for an examiner, or "instructor" everytime they go to renew their DL.
As a private pilot, we have to fly with an instructor every two years to stay current to fly an airplane. And, we have to pay for it. It's not a pass or fail thing, it's an instructional/education thing.
Driving, it is a privilage, should be no different. I'd be willing to bet there'd be a lot less accidents, and insurance rates might be lower.
The only one's that would object, are the one's that are less confident in their driving skills. ie the sorry drivers.
There.......that's my rant

Safer roads? I'm in!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 06:59 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, in another forum we used to have a favorite saying: "Your Millage May Vary".

The answer depends on which state you live in.. and on the size of your motor home (Possibly when combined with the towed)

SOME states require special licensing for THEIR citizens.. Some do not. But this is the bottom line.

IF you are legal driving the Motor home on the street upon which your Legal Address is (The street where you live) with the license you have.

ALL 50 states plus some additional jurisdictions like Washington DC, will honor your home license... Requirements DO not change just because you are 1,000 miles from home ..

Now.. In many states a motor home plus towed UNDER xx,xxxx pounds is "Regular Operatgors" but over xx,xxx pounds it's Special License needed.. But again NOT all states are like that.

Some it matters if you have air brakes.. Some not.

And so on. You need to check the laws where you are licensed, Because those are the only ones that apply to this thread.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:41 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Well, in another forum we used to have a favorite saying: "Your Millage May Vary".

The answer depends on which state you live in.. and on the size of your motor home (Possibly when combined with the towed)

SOME states require special licensing for THEIR citizens.. Some do not. But this is the bottom line.

IF you are legal driving the Motor home on the street upon which your Legal Address is (The street where you live) with the license you have.

ALL 50 states plus some additional jurisdictions like Washington DC, will honor your home license... Requirements DO not change just because you are 1,000 miles from home ..

Now.. In many states a motor home plus towed UNDER xx,xxxx pounds is "Regular Operatgors" but over xx,xxx pounds it's Special License needed.. But again NOT all states are like that.

Some it matters if you have air brakes.. Some not.

And so on. You need to check the laws where you are licensed, Because those are the only ones that apply to this thread.
Okay! THIS is what I've been trying to figure out! We will be moving constantly probably hitting 30 states in two years. I doubt that I'd be able to satisfy the requirements of every state we entered. So you're saying that I only have to meet the requirements of my home state, right? As long as I do that I am covered for any other state I might enter? Does everyone concur on this?
Old 11-29-2015, 08:46 AM   #24
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
For driver license only, I concur. There is reciprocal agreement between sates. If you are properly licensed in your state you are properly licensed in all the other states.

That does not apply to other road restrictions like length, width, height, weight, etc.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:36 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you're legal in your home state, you're legal everywhere else.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:54 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Roamin Mike, it depends on what the GVWR is for your 35' MH. Over 26K, you need a Class B non CDL. Your jeep will not be heavy enough (10K) to warrant a Class A. Your Texas DL will be good for every other state. I have a Class A Driver's License (non CDL), because I was towing a 18K 5th wheel when I got the license. It was automatically good enough for my 46K MH. There is no air brake endorsement in Texas, and there is no air brake restriction on non-CDL licenses.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:41 PM   #27

I have a Class A CDL with Tanker endorsement, use to have Double/Triple, Passenger and School bus but let them go. I keep the Class A CDL current just in case I get hassled, a lot of over the road truck drivers really despise RV drivers because they don't have to have any formal testing to drive a rig that sometimes is as big as their commercial rig.
And NO I have never been a professional truck driver I just got my CDL because I could and took all the endorsements because I was already at the DMV taking the test.
Funhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:43 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
If you're legal in your home state, you're legal everywhere else.

What he said. You do not need a CDL, that is for commercial drivers, hence the name.