Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2015, 11:47 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
What he said. You do not need a CDL, that is for commercial drivers, hence the name.

Really don't care if I hurt commercial truck driver's feelings by not having a CDL, I have seen many of them drive very dangerously and unprofessionally as well.

So, if you are legal in your state, you are legal in others. An endorsement of any kind will not necessarily make you a safer driver.

Cheers!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2015, 11:55 PM   #30
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
If you're legal in your home state, you're legal everywhere else.
Only for the driver's license and not other road restrictions.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:03 AM   #31

i have a Colorado drivers lisc. and am currently in Texas. I far as I know all states accept home state requirements.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:25 PM   #32

S.C. requires a class F (non commercial cdl) to operate a over 26,000 lb RV. I got one this summer, after I found out here on the forum I was driving illegaly. Insturctor told me it is the same test they use for a commercial CDL, except you use a non-comercial vehicle.

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:53 PM   #33

DL

All these tales and the only thing that matters is that you follow the law in your state. It does not matter what your friend says or what you heard. If you are in an accident and it ends up in court, if you do not have the proper license you might hear that you were not license to drive that rig and your insurance is no good. Here is a good site to find out the facts.
RV Driver's License Requirements
Old 11-30-2015, 09:10 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGrosman View Post
All these tales and the only thing that matters is that you follow the law in your state. It does not matter what your friend says or what you heard. If you are in an accident and it ends up in court, if you do not have the proper license you might hear that you were not license to drive that rig and your insurance is no good. Here is a good site to find out the facts.
RV Driver's License Requirements
Interesting how similar the site you posted is to the one posted three days ago in post #12. Possibly you didn't read "all these tales" in this thread.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:00 AM   #35

Texas Boomers Club
Texas

I have been on a few demo rides in Texas and none of the salesman or inspectors have a Class B. I plan to get one thinking it could be an issue if there was an accident. The written test looks easy but the driving test is unknown. You drive there with out a Class 3 in your MH and what happens than?
Old 12-11-2015, 08:07 AM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktr View Post
I have been on a few demo rides in Texas and none of the salesman or inspectors have a Class B. I plan to get one thinking it could be an issue if there was an accident. The written test looks easy but the driving test is unknown. You drive there with out a Class 3 in your MH and what happens than?
Nothing sinister, you just take the driving test..it's not the same as a full on CDL driving test. I had to parallel park (yes, really!) but that was super easy as was given 60' to do it and with mirrors and backup camera it's easier than in a car. Other than that just drove around a bit. Written test was harder than the driving test and the written test wasn't that hard.
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:47 PM   #37

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Written test was easy after I read the right chapters. The driving test was not bad but 30 minutes of driving in subdivisions and freeway but it ll worked out well.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:59 PM   #38
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Written test was easy after I read the right chapters. The driving test was not bad but 30 minutes of driving in subdivisions and freeway but it ll worked out well.
I'm going to go get the class B non exempt license just to be legal. I've studied chapter 14 and 5. What other ones should I study?
Old 02-22-2016, 04:16 PM   #39

Quick answer is YES! If you are over 26,000bs you will need a non-commericial class B and if you are towing over 10,000 lbs you will need the same rated at class A. In most cases, the DMV and DPS won't bother you but if you are invloved in a accident, your fault or not the LAWYERS and INSURANCE companies will give you hell. I drove for 3 years without the class B but wised up and took the test. Its worth the peace if mind for me. If you are legal in your state of residence you are legal in all states.
dls461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:32 PM   #40

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
PLEASE READ THE DMV RULES CAREFULLY

I think the majority of the states who differentiate RV's are the same.

My experience is with Calif. Rules.

They provide a list of things that you CAN drive.
YES, the first item says vehicles up to 26K lbs.

This is the exact wording:

Class C driver license -
You may drive a:
2-axle vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 26,000 lbs. or less.
3-axle vehicle weighing 6,000 lbs. or less gross.
Housecar 40 feet or less.
3-wheel motorcycle with two wheels located in the front or back.
Vanpool vehicle designed to carry more than 10 persons, but no more than 15 persons including the driver

BUT...this list is saying all the different vehicles that you can drive
And ALSO on the list is "Housecar 40ft or less" this ignores weight

If the only rule was "up to 26K lbs", then there would be no reason to have another line that says Motorhomes up to 40ft
and notice it does not say "Moterhomes up to 40ft AND under 26K lbs.

There is a lot of bad info floating around on this particular point.

Regards,

Dan
Old 02-22-2016, 05:31 PM   #41

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I'm going to go get the class B non exempt license just to be legal. I've studied chapter 14 and 5. What other ones should I study?
I don't remember what chapters but I studied the wrong ones at first. There is only one chapter to study it is the one on that has information on towing car with a rope, max length, max heigth, who needs mud flaps your find this chapter near the back
Old 02-23-2016, 07:42 AM   #42
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
I don't remember what chapters but I studied the wrong ones at first. There is only one chapter to study it is the one on that has information on towing car with a rope, max length, max heigth, who needs mud flaps your find this chapter near the back
That's chapter 14. Thanks