Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2015, 10:40 PM   #1

Special license needed?

About to start full-timing next year. We'll be in a class A and hitting several states. I've been Googling but can't seem to get a straight answer. Will I need a CDL or special license of any kind? Does it depend on the state? I'm planning on a 35' rig with Jeep toad.
Roamin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2015, 10:44 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
In Tx, depends on weight of RV. If over 26000lbs, you'll need whats called a Class B Exempt (exempt from cdl requirements but not the license). I don't know of any state that requires a special license if your weight (not including toad) is under 26000.

LOL just saw you're in Austin...if you end up needing it take the test in Bastrop (no lines and way better taking the driving test there than on N lamar!).
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:55 PM   #3

YES it depends on the State.......ie: the one that you have your drivers license from.

SO which State is going to be your 'domicile' State for your FT residency?

TX....as stated Class B if over 26000# and just a regular Class C if under 26000#

Drivers License and Vehicle Registrations are State specific...........other states recognize them (Reciprocity)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 11:01 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Drivers License and Vehicle Registrations are State specific...........other states recognize them (Reciprocity)
If you're going to be towing a towed or trailer be aware that braking requirements are NOT covered by reciprocity. You must be legal in every state you go into/through. Pretty much means you need brakes on the towed/dolly/trailer.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
If you're going to be towing a towed or trailer be aware that braking requirements are NOT covered by reciprocity. You must be legal in every state you go into/through. Pretty much means you need brakes on the towed/dolly/trailer.
YEP
That is why I only stated DLs & Registrations
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 05:47 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Mike,
The Marble Falls DPS location is VERY test friendly. Go out and pick up the CDL booklet. They will advise the 3 or 4 chapters to study for the Class B written. Go take the written test - graded on the spot then make an appointment for the 30 minute driving test most of which is taken by checking the MH lights/horn/paperwork/etc. Tester advised he did not ask "how you got there" as it relates to having a licensed driver with you. His "biggies" are hands at 10 and 2 and stopping beyond a stop sign.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:45 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
In Oregon there is a theoretical limit of 26,000 lbs for a Class C license but When I called (As my MH has a 31,000 lb GVWR) the people on the phone (on several different calls because I did not believe them!) stated that if it is an RV there is no limit to the weight. I remain uncomfortable as there is a written limit in the Driver's Handbook but they insist that a special license is not needed.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:08 AM   #8

Check the back of your license.
In the fine print on the back of my Ontario License it states good to drive passenger vehicle/ combo up to 11,000 Kg which is just over 24000 pounds.
and a towed vehicle max 4600 kg. about 10000 pounds.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:48 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
To make it simple when speaking about driver's license only, go by your home State. All other States must go by those guidelines. Ex, Fl does not require any special license or endorsement on a driver's license but if you are driving a 30,000 LB motorhome in Florida with a Texas DL. But you would still be required to follow Texas's rule since that is where you are licensed. It would be the rare Fl cop that would know that or even care though.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:11 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
CDL requirement

I have a class B CDL since I drive commercial tour buses. The 26000 lb. requirement pertains only to commercial vehicles. If your rig has a private coach or private bus plate, then you are not required to have a CDL, regardless of the weight. Although I don't advocate having to spend the money for a CDL to drive one of these rigs, I do feel that some type of formal training should be required
knugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:14 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by knugent View Post
I have a class B CDL since I drive commercial tour buses. The 26000 lb. requirement pertains only to commercial vehicles. If your rig has a private coach or private bus plate, then you are not required to have a CDL, regardless of the weight. Although I don't advocate having to spend the money for a CDL to drive one of these rigs, I do feel that some type of formal training should be required
Not in Penna. 26k + requires a NON- commercial class B
Old 11-27-2015, 04:35 PM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by knugent View Post
Not true. The Class of License depends on the state. There are 4 states that require a CDL to drive a MH depending on their criteria.

For a complete list of driver license requirements go to Changing Gears

For even better information go to the specific state you reside in and check their regulations.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Not in Penna. 26k + requires a NON- commercial class B

And I have that, and recommend everyone at least study the CDL manual and practice the air brake stuf, maneuvering and turning. I am much safer for having done that
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:51 PM   #14
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
And I have that, and recommend everyone at least study the CDL manual and practice the air brake stuf, maneuvering and turning. I am much safer for having done that
x2 and not just a portion of it but all of it. Knowledge is powerful.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote