Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2016, 01:18 PM   #1

Special Seats

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum but not new to Motorhomes. My mom owned a Concord Motorhome and I grew up learning how to fix problems on Class A's. After having a TT for several years my wife and I decided to take the plunge and buy a Class A. We purchased a Coachman Pursuit 33BH. We wanted a bunk house because we have 3 year old twins. After all the overwhelming feelings of buying a MH (finding insurance, registration, in service training , storage, maintenance, etc), I started to wonder about where to but the child seats. Now I remember during the initial showing and follow-up in-service there were seat belts in the bench table area. No problem right? As I really took the time to see what the seatbelts where attached to and the construction of the bench seat I was disappointed in myself that I did not notice the seat and belt set up. I should have known better. I am in law enforcement. I was not going to allow my children to ride in a Car safety Seat that was basically attached to a wooden box. So I purchased Certified Child Latch Safety Seats from Freedman Seating and had a local auto body shop, Goodrich's Auto Body Works in Bath, NY. They have special bays for working on Recreational Vehicles.
Sorry about not rotating pic
I will attach photos. Any questions: glock236@yahoo.com

I am extremely happy with the seat installation
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-03-12 14.30.50.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	122726   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-03-12 14.32.30.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	122727  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1458230436254.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	122728   Click image for larger version

Name:	1458230516177.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	122729  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2016, 02:11 PM   #2

An outstanding move on your part, first for realizing how poor the rear seat belts are in an RV and second for doing something about it.

Unfortunately, there are no Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards for RV's for anything but the front two seats (driver and Copilot). Some manufacturers go a bit further than others in installing seat belts that would be actually useful should there be a crash, but others come up woefully short in this area. I'm sure your new seats will be vastly superior to what you had but unfortunately their anchorages are only as good as Coachman made the floor and the floor under structure. Since there are no safety standards for the coach part of rigs, manufacturers are under no obligation to furnish anything like testing and structural points. Your effort goes way beyond some of the efforts I've seen from others and will go a long way to protecting your twins.

One would hope manufacturers would do better than they are, but I'm not holding my breath until that happens. Not enough blood on it yet.

I set up the Delaware Child Safety Seat program and was the first certified instructor in the state.

Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:17 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good choice. Far better to be safe than sorry down the road. One never knows. Safe travels.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:03 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Really great idea I will have to look up them seats. I have a bunkhouse model also and you would think that they would make those more kid friendly for traveling. Thanks for the post.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:53 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Well done!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:42 PM   #6

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by glock236 View Post
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum but not new to Motorhomes. My mom owned a Concord Motorhome and I grew up learning how to fix problems on Class A's. After having a TT for several years my wife and I decided to take the plunge and buy a Class A. We purchased a Coachman Pursuit 33BH. We wanted a bunk house because we have 3 year old twins. After all the overwhelming feelings of buying a MH (finding insurance, registration, in service training , storage, maintenance, etc), I started to wonder about where to but the child seats. Now I remember during the initial showing and follow-up in-service there were seat belts in the bench table area. No problem right? As I really took the time to see what the seatbelts where attached to and the construction of the bench seat I was disappointed in myself that I did not notice the seat and belt set up. I should have known better. I am in law enforcement. I was not going to allow my children to ride in a Car safety Seat that was basically attached to a wooden box. So I purchased Certified Child Latch Safety Seats from Freedman Seating and had a local auto body shop, Goodrich's Auto Body Works in Bath, NY. They have special bays for working on Recreational Vehicles.
Sorry about not rotating pic
I will attach photos. Any questions: glock236@yahoo.com

I am extremely happy with the seat installation
Thank you glock236 for this post. I have been looking for suitable new chairs for putting in old 94 Vectra 35' DP. Do not like the way seat betss and furniture only held down by lack srews into wood sub-lfoor. Looked up seats like yours at: www.freedmanseats.com and that is exactly what I want. Will use grade 8 bolts thru floor to basement and will have 1/4" angle iron under roof of basement to bolts chairs & other furniture to cause I sure do not wanting chairs and furniture with occupants to be ejected in the event of an accident. My son is a paramedic and recently had a call where seat with seat belted occupant ejected thru 'Moonroof' of car and deceased. SAFETY IS #1 as taking granddaughter and 91 year old mother on trips. Looking also for netting for bedroom similiar to that used by big truck sleeper cabs. Thank you again for your post.