Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2011, 05:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcdohc View Post
Thanks for your thoughts. The motorhomes gvw is 16K and it has a factory installed hitch rated for 5K. I cant find the tow rating for the motorhome. I dont have aux brakes for the jeep due to the cost. I read prior to purchasing the tow bar that a brake budy was definatly advised but not 100% nessessary. (unless you have to stop really quick) I figure I will try it with out it.
I'don't know where you got the information that auxillary brakes are "advised but not 100% nessessary", but it wasn't from Ford.

Here's a statement from the Ford F53 chassis manual:

GCWR is the maximum allowable weight of the towing vehicle and the loaded trailer – including all cargo and passengers, that the powertrain can handle without risking costly damage. The towing vehicle’s brake system is rated for safe operation at the GVWR – NOT GCWR. Separate functional brake systems should be used for safe control of towed vehicles and for trailers weighing more than 680 kg (1500 lbs) when loaded.

In your case if the combined weight of the coach and the trailer/vehicle being towed is less than 16,000 lbs and the trailer/vehicle being towed weighs less than 1,500 lbs no auxillary braking system is necessary.

If you don't fall within those parameters Ford says an auxillary braking system should be used for the towed trailer/vehicle.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2011, 05:35 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Be advised that you are only one law suit away from disaster! Most states require supplemental braking for toads. Attorneys would jump all over the chance to represent a victim of your neglect. That's not to say they wouldn't anyway, but why give them additional ammo! The cost of a brake system is minimal by comparison. JMO

sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:56 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
My last 2 trips my toad (Cadillac SRX, weighs in @ 4400lbs) had no supplemental braking (Brake Buddy), as it was returned to factory for some repairs. I can tell the difference in my braking for sure!! The first leg wasn't too bad as it was mostly open road. The last leg involved going through Memphis, TN. Let me tell you, I was wishing I had my Brake Buddy! I made it to the park without incident, but I'm not leaving until I have it back!

I too have have been towing something for most of my life. And this last trip was just plain scarely! GET YOU A SUPPLEMENTAL BRAKE OF SOME SORT!!!
BABrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:19 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkydog View Post
Be advised that you are only one law suit away from disaster! Most states require supplemental braking for toads.
Actually most states don't require supplemental braking for toads.
Around 13-14 of them do have laws. or less then 30%.
And only one of them also require a Breakaway on the towed car.
That happens to be the state the OP is going too. Florida
Old 05-21-2011, 06:43 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Actually most states don't require supplemental braking for toads.
Around 13-14 of them do have laws. or less then 30%.
And only one of them also require a Breakaway on the towed car.
That happens to be the state the OP is going too. Florida
While I am not positive, I believe those states on this chart that say "no laws" means that the law does not specifically mention towed cars. That does not mean that a towed car is not considered a "trailer" in those states.

If that is the case than the "majority" require brakes, that is my understanding of the law.

Either way I err on the side of safety...
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:51 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The tow capacity for my rig is 5k and my toad weighs in at about 4500#.The first couple of trips I made with the toad,I had made several before we were able to find the one we wanted,I really had a problem stopping.I took it into the place that installed the brakes and they said they were installed correctly. Took it into another place after returning from a trip to Las Vegas and really doing a job on the MH brakes coming down the east side of Towne Pass in Death Valley and they re-adjusted the gain in the aux system and I can really feel the difference now.
It is really interesting that the extra weight of the MH body on the chasis makes SOooo much difference.I drive a 40' school bus and on occasion have a full load of 75 HS students and she really stops in a hurry when I want it too.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:38 AM   #21

Mmmmm... Thanks, I now am considering another purchase.

Anybody selling a brake budy?
Old 05-22-2011, 08:56 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm sure your tow will go as fast as you want and drink as much gas as you like.

Since you ask this is how I handle the situation:

My speed and towing is not only safe for me it is safe for you--and everyone else. I respect not only my life but yours---so I find out what the laws are and follow them---I add in common sense where the law does not dictate---and I do not split hairs or quibble my way out of doing the right thing.

I do not believe my reflexes are cat like and can defy the forces of physics---so I compensate by trying to think ahead of consequences. I operate in a fashion to spare not only me but you the consequences of my actions. I do not trust in luck or averages where your life or mine is concerned.

I purposely operate to the best of my ability to avoid tragedy. Still I have experienced a close call not of my making, my preparation spared me and others harm.

If safety is most important aspect of RVing to me then you are protected from me to the best of my ability.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #23

Quote:
Mmmmm... Thanks, I now am considering another purchase.

Anybody selling a brake budy?
Roadmaster sells one similar to the Brake Buddy and I'm sure there are others out there that have similar products. If cost is a concern you might want to check out a product called ReadyBrake. It's a towbar/brake system that mechanically operates the towed vehicle brakes when you step on the brake in the motorhome. I don't use the procuct (we use a Roadmaster 9060 braking system) but there are several on the forum that do and swear by it.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:13 AM   #24

The votes in, looks like a Brake system is in order. Nuff said!

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:16 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRoadie
Quote:
Please, im not looking for a lecture on safety or fuel consumption. If your speed is safe for you thats great. Now with that said I have a 04 Coachmen Mirada V 10 on a F 53 chassis with a blue ox rear track bar. Last winter I pulled my single axle 6 x 12 enclosed trailer with my harley and other stuff in it to the keys doing around 70 mph. The est. weight of the full trailer is 2500 lbs, It pulled great. Other than the rigs length I didnt even feel it was there.

I now have purchased a Blue ox Alpha tow bar so we can pull my 2010 Wrangler. Weighs in at 4000 lbs with gear. Can I expect to travel at the same speed or is towing with all 4 down going to react totally different? I have been towing all my life just never all 4 down.
What's really sad is that we all have to share the road with this kind of "give a crap about safety" mentality.

Lord save us all from the stupidity and arrogance !

Enjoy the Open Road...Be Safe
Old 05-22-2011, 09:18 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Maybe we need a thread about how we have had to do an emergency stop because of the actions of some other idiot. I have driven for years and always been careful about speeds and tailgating and had no problems. Then last summer I was driving along at about 45 mph when a car ahead of me pulled off the road onto the right hand shoulder. I took my foot off the throttle and was closing the gap and thinking about moving left to give him a little extra space. Unfortunately there was an oncoming car. Then he pulled back into the lane and stopped in the road to turn left! I slammed on my brakes and slid all wheels for the first time in my motorhoming life. Luckily I got stopped before I hit him. I am so glad that I had the Brake Buddy or I probably would have hit him and done thousands of dollars of damage to my motorhome. You just don't know when some idiot will do something stupid. You need to be prepared.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:24 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaRoadie View Post
What's really sad is that we all have to share the road with this kind of "give a crap about safety" mentality.

Lord save us all from the stupidity and arrogance !

Enjoy the Open Road...Be Safe
Slow down there cowboy. The guy asked a question and got several good answers that have changed his mind as well as mine on the Idea of a brake system for our jeeps.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #28

I looked at the Ready Brake web site. Looks like a good deal. Price is very reasonable.