Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2011, 08:45 AM   #1

Speed!!

Please, im not looking for a lecture on safety or fuel consumption. If your speed is safe for you thats great. Now with that said I have a 04 Coachmen Mirada V 10 on a F 53 chassis with a blue ox rear track bar. Last winter I pulled my single axle 6 x 12 enclosed trailer with my harley and other stuff in it to the keys doing around 70 mph. The est. weight of the full trailer is 2500 lbs, It pulled great. Other than the rigs length I didnt even feel it was there.

I now have purchased a Blue ox Alpha tow bar so we can pull my 2010 Wrangler. Weighs in at 4000 lbs with gear. Can I expect to travel at the same speed or is towing with all 4 down going to react totally different? I have been towing all my life just never all 4 down.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2011, 09:10 AM   #2

Although I generally drive 63-65 mph I have reached as much as 75 mph going down hill and have had no problems towing my 4280# Jeep Grand Cherokee four down.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:13 AM   #3

All 4 down should not make a difference in what you feel driving, however you should check your tow capacity. Our MH is similar to yours. I towed a Chevy Tracker which was less than 3500# and just traded it for a 2011 Jeep Liberty which comes in a little over 4100#. Our tow capacity is 3500#, so now I'm toadless. Not that it wouldn't handle the extra weight, but in an accident your insurance would be void.

If you have a 5000# tow capacity, your good to go and you won't notice much difference in towing.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:15 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Jeep will handle just fine although you will notice that your acceleration will be a little less due to the extra weight. You will definitely need auxiliary brakes for the Jeep.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:19 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
You might want to consider putting in a toad brake in your Jeep. You don't say how much your coach weights but 4000 pounds pushing behind you makes your coach significantly harder to stop at that speed.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:25 AM   #6

Thanks for your thoughts. The motorhomes gvw is 16K and it has a factory installed hitch rated for 5K. I cant find the tow rating for the motorhome. I dont have aux brakes for the jeep due to the cost. I read prior to purchasing the tow bar that a brake budy was definatly advised but not 100% nessessary. (unless you have to stop really quick) I figure I will try it with out it.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:12 AM   #7

I pull my wrangler without. Just pay attention and give yourself plenty of room.

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:35 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As long as we are sharing experiences heres another:

The idiot that cut in front of me and took up all that room I was leaving also slammed on his brakes for some yet undetermined reason.

Didn't make any difference how fast I was going how close attention or how much room I left in front for braking.

One panic stop in nine years but it only takes one. I was prepared.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:05 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Mothership
Another issue is see if your tow vehicle has suggested tow speed. Our tow vehicle manufacturer suggest a max. of 60mph.
Mothership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcdohc View Post
I dont have aux brakes for the jeep due to the cost. I read prior to purchasing the tow bar that a brake budy was definatly advised but not 100% nessessary. (unless you have to stop really quick) I figure I will try it with out it.
If you slow down to 55 MPH you might have the extra $$$ from saved gas to buy one.

It is not if, you will need to do a fast stop, but when.

There is a big difference on stopping a 6 X 12 trailer 2,500 lb & a 4,000 lb 4 wheel down.

Yep! I read that you didn't want to hear about MPG or safety.
But you question really ask about that.

I pulled a 6 X 14 2,700 lb trailer with my bikes for over 11 years with no brakes on it. Well it had brakes, but never hooked up to the MH.

2 years ago started pulling a 3,300 lb HHR 4 down. And put BrakeMaster air on it. Sure glad I did as some of those Florida lights in those 55 MPH zones can change real fast. When a car in front of you hits the brakes hard when the light turns Yellow, and only 200-300' from the light.

So to answer your question. Yes the 4 wheel will react totally different then the trailer.

Good Luck
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:04 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for your thoughts. The motorhomes gvw is 16K and it has a factory installed hitch rated for 5K. I cant find the tow rating for the motorhome. I dont have aux brakes for the jeep due to the cost. I read prior to purchasing the tow bar that a brake budy was definatly advised but not 100% nessessary. (unless you have to stop really quick) I figure I will try it with out it.
I believe that if you'll check,that most states require a brake system on anything over 2500-3000# being towed..
Cost or no cost,I would highly advise getting brakes.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:10 PM   #12

Official iRV2 Sponsor

As a retired physics teacher your situation will make for a great teachable moment after you have your inevitable panic stop. Your toad weighs ~25% of your GVWR; if it is not in perfect alignment with the MH when you bring them to a stop there is a lateral (sideways) force on the rear axle of the MH. When the magnitude of that force exceeds the coefficient of friction of the rear tires times the weight on the rear axles, the rear axle will be pulled sideways in the direction of the force (a skid).

As homework, the class can calculate the angle the toad needs to be at to force the rear axle to skid when the vehicles are being brought to a stop from 60mph. Assume a coefficient of friction of .85 on the rear tires with an axle load of 10,000 lbs.

My coach has a GVWR of 32,000 and my toad is only <15% of that fully loaded. I have a supplemental braking system because I don't want to have the class solving the problem of why I had my accident.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
As others have stated an auxiliary brake system is a must other wise you are just an accident looking for a place to happen, as for the cost of an auxiliary brake system have you priced doing a brake job on your coach? because you will need a brake job sooner if you do not use an auxiliary brake system, just think of that idiot that cuts in front of you and then hits the brakes were does that leave you
Old 05-21-2011, 04:43 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
The motorhomes gvw is 16K and it has a factory installed hitch rated for 5K. I cant find the tow rating for the motorhome.
As has been stated on here before, find the GCWR and subtract the loaded weight of the motor home. The answer is your tow capacity...unless it is larger than 5k (your hitch rating)...then 5k is the tow capacity.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote