Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2015, 09:32 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theluckys View Post
Here in SWF traveling along I-75 the limit is 70 mph.

Since we do weekend trips leaving Friday night I set the cruise at 70-75 because I like to get where I'm going and set up BEFORE it gets dark.

When you're full-time and don't have a schedule you can take your time but for the few of us who have limited time I find it more relaxing to be at the CG rather than on the road.

I've got 600 hp and I'll be darned if I don't put them to use.
How far do you have to travel, what time do you leave and how much before dark do you get there? As opposed to traveling 62 - 65.

3 hours travel would get you there about 20 to 30 minutes earlier.

Just trying to understand the logistics.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2015, 09:35 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Speed Vs Time & Cost

I typically put the cruise on ~60-62 mph. This is where the scan gauge reports noticeably better fuel mileage than faster road speeds.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:33 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I typically put the cruise on ~60-62 mph. This is where the scan gauge reports noticeably better fuel mileage than faster road speeds.
Decent 2 lane (straight, smooth, shoulder) 55MPH limit cruise set at 62. Four+ lane interstate cruise set at 62 regardless of limit. Winding, narrow 2 lane usually at or a couple of miles under limit.
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Yeah I agree with you, that post you are talking about made absolutely no sense to me either. I didn't buy a MH to drive it like a car and make "good time" everywhere I go. I also drive it at about 60-62 as that's where it is most comfortable to drive and I get the best mileage. Traffic doesn't back up behind me as people can always pass me if they want. Speed limits are limits not the minimums, and usually if there is a posted minimum it is around 45mph. I really don't care too much about those wanting to go 75-80, there's plenty of road for them to do it on.

It's about the journey not the destination and last I heard you have to stop and sleep every night anyway, so if you get there a day or two earlier you still need a campsite unless you are boondocking all the time.
I like your post..60-62 is where we've been running cause it's the law in California to go 55 towing,... and it seems that our coach likes that speed..

so my question,...

how far do you drive in one day and for how long...

yesterday I went to Oxnard from vegas...went to get a toad...
I was in the van so 75 mph there most the way... then 65 closer to the coast...left about 10am..finally got there.... had people waiting so I didn't lolly gag....bought the car and headed back...set the cruise at 60 mph only passed one truck out by acton then it was two lane into victorville... othe than stopping for gas ... kept trucking...

fast forward.... now it's 8pm been on the road for 10hrs.... the van has a double bed in it so I pulled in to baker ..100 miles from home .. got an hour nap....then head on in ...

so all in I went about 650 miles or so...gone about 13 hrs...
Old 03-04-2015, 08:44 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I'm sorry, 68mph is the most virtuous number.

I find the most stress free speed is the one that leaves the general flow of traffic slightly faster, 2-3 mph at most. Slightly faster and you are always creeping up on cars. Too much slower and you are creating a hazard. The hazard being too much relative motion between vehicles.

Might I suggest, if you want to run 55-60, that you find the two lanes. Then your speeds are consistent with the flow of traffic and you have the benefit of a more scenic route.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by asuperheat View Post
62-64 seems to be my best MPG. but I will travel 69-72 if I wish to get there quicker. The small savings in MPG for me sometimes does not come into play. I RV to relax and get away, stressing about my cost per mile does not help me to relax lol! Lets face it none of us do this for the savings in travel expenses. Overall my RV gets decent MPG even at 70 MPH though.
I have the "33D" model on the same chassis... it seems to like staying under 2000 rpms...I also upped the tires to 275-70-22.5's so she scoots right along...
Old 03-04-2015, 08:57 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
I'm sorry, 68mph is the most virtuous number.

I find the most stress free speed is the one that leaves the general flow of traffic slightly faster, 2-3 mph at most. Slightly faster and you are always creeping up on cars. Too much slower and you are creating a hazard. The hazard being too much relative motion between vehicles.

Might I suggest, if you want to run 55-60, that you find the two lanes. Then your speeds are consistent with the flow of traffic and you have the benefit of a more scenic route.
There are two lanes in Texas posted speed is 70 and 75 mph. The CR-V has max speed of 65 mph when towed. On the highway that works pretty well regardless of posted speed - on the two lanes with occasional passing lanes trucks with loaded horse trailers are itching to get around ya. They have 5 miles more to go and need to get there fast. I'm always amazed by this as many roads have bkind curves. They take em at posted speed and I slow down in case the meet an immovable truck and horse trailer around the bend.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:33 AM   #22

our 94 Coachman 32' with 454 motor, (has Banks headers and cold air intake) get 7.5-7.7 MPG Towing our 12 foot enclosed cycle trailer or not... Running 55mph or 70MPH. We check every tank full of gas.
My DW tends to drive faster, while I tend to take it easier... And her MPG average still equals mine.. So I gave up trying to get her to drive slower...
Bob
Old 03-04-2015, 09:40 AM   #23

I haven't done a mpg test for my rig for following scenario. Driving at 57 mph tach shows 1700 rpm in 5 th gear. Driving at 62 mph at 1700 rpm in 6th gear. (Shifts into 6 at 62). What would be the better mpg?
Old 03-04-2015, 09:47 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurk View Post
I haven't done a mpg test for my rig for following scenario. Driving at 57 mph tach shows 1700 rpm in 5 th gear. Driving at 62 mph at 1700 rpm in 6th gear. (Shifts into 6 at 62). What would be the better mpg?
I would say the latter....went 5 mph farther,,,,

with out boost or vacume readings .. who knows
Old 03-04-2015, 11:38 AM   #25

Be careful at 75 MPH. I only go as fast as my two mules will pull me. My mules get 10 pds of feed and a bale of hay a day. Kind of cheep.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:00 PM   #26
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We drive 60 MPH on any 4-lane or interstate, and 55 MPH or less on 2-lane roads, depending on driving conditions! Works for me!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:25 PM   #27

I used to like driving faster than I should. I came to realize that driving my coach at 70 vs 65 will get me a whole 5 miles up the road farther in an hour. And if I have to stop for a speeding ticket then I will be defeating the purpose. More peaceful at the slower speeds for me.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:54 PM   #28

"I've got 600 hp and I'll be darned if I don't put them to use"

"I'm sorry, 68mph is the most virtuous number"

"We drive 60 MPH on any 4-lane or interstate, and 55 MPH or less on 2-lane roads, depending on driving conditions! Works for me!"

Etc, etc. This just verifies there is no one answer regarding speed (or diesel vs, gas, MH vs 5th wheel, etc). There are different speeds for different people, vehicles, conditions, and speed limits. I drive around 60 - 65, but really watch my mirrors for passing vehicles, how they pass me, and what vehicles are around me. I suggest that driving under the speed limit takes as much concentration as driving way over the limit. Also, I find myself driving faster on multi lane highways in town rather than on open road - just to keep with traffic flow and not cause a bottleneck. Example, I-465 around Indianapolis.

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote