Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2015, 05:33 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Speed Vs Time & Cost

Another thread mentioned "You'll be making a lot more stops at 75 Vs slower, ie. 55"
I did some simple calculations.
55 Vs. 75 mph
350 miles
8 mpg
80 gal tank

Yep, you get there 2 hours sooner...
But you have to stop 125 miles sooner for fuel.
And it will cost you about $70 more in mpg each 5-600 miles
Each stop is 20-30 min. Actual savings 1.5 hours.

I drive 7500 miles per year at 55, save hundreds of $, help the environment, I am more relaxed when I get there. By not driving so far per day.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2015, 05:42 PM   #2

Yeah I agree with you, that post you are talking about made absolutely no sense to me either. I didn't buy a MH to drive it like a car and make "good time" everywhere I go. I also drive it at about 60-62 as that's where it is most comfortable to drive and I get the best mileage. Traffic doesn't back up behind me as people can always pass me if they want. Speed limits are limits not the minimums, and usually if there is a posted minimum it is around 45mph. I really don't care too much about those wanting to go 75-80, there's plenty of road for them to do it on.

It's about the journey not the destination and last I heard you have to stop and sleep every night anyway, so if you get there a day or two earlier you still need a campsite unless you are boondocking all the time.

Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:44 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Another thread mentioned "You'll be making a lot more stops at 75 Vs slower, ie. 55"
55 Vs. 75 mph
350 miles
8 mpg
80 gal tank

I drive 7500 miles per year at 55, save hundreds of $, help the environment, I am more relaxed when I get there. By not driving so far per day.
I will split the difference with you and go 65 mph. My moho purrs at that speed, and I will piss-off less folks that want to go at least 75 mph. And, in Texas, if I went 55 mph on the 2-lane highways with speed limits posted at 65-70 mph, I would fear for my life. OK, maybe not my life, but seeing everybody's middle finger as they pass me will get really old. I agree with you about getting there an hour or two early, it is just not worth the stress of driving 75 mph all day to save the time.

I have been flamed on threads like these before, get the popcorn ready!

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:45 PM   #4

This is true. I have always been a fast driver. It is my downfall cause its costs me more gas money. Now that I have an RV I will try to keep it at the limit.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:48 PM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Here's an easy to read paper by Caterpillar about the relationship between speed, weight, MPG for diesel powered MH's. UNDERSTANDING COACH /RV PERFORMANCE The data in this paper are relevant whether your engine was manufacturered by Cat or Cummins.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:26 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug5 View Post
I will split the difference with you and go 65 mph. My moho purrs at that speed, and I will piss-off less folks that want to go at least 75 mph. And, in Texas, if I went 55 mph on the 2-lane highways with speed limits posted at 65-70 mph, I would fear for my life. OK, maybe not my life, but seeing everybody's middle finger as they pass me will get really old. I agree with you about getting there an hour or two early, it is just not worth the stress of driving 75 mph all day to save the time.

I have been flamed on threads like these before, get the popcorn ready

Bruce
Lot of 75mph speed limit, 2 lane roads in Texas these days....
Old 03-03-2015, 06:49 PM   #7

62-64 seems to be my best MPG. but I will travel 69-72 if I wish to get there quicker. The small savings in MPG for me sometimes does not come into play. I RV to relax and get away, stressing about my cost per mile does not help me to relax lol! Lets face it none of us do this for the savings in travel expenses. Overall my RV gets decent MPG even at 70 MPH though.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:14 PM   #8

I have very limited Class A experience so far. 3 trips in 6 weeks, the longest being 170 miles. My Excursion gets around 11 MPG at 60 to 65 MPH and 9.5 to 10 at 70 to 75. I prefer driving slower but don't like constantly being passed in 70 MPH zones. It seems to handle 70 very well and I can keep a nice long space between me and the car in front of me without constantly getting cars pulling in front of me and cutting down my stopping distance.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:45 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Agree, I drive at 62mph, slow down and enjoy the drive, especially with 34,000lbs of monster moving down the road and tires that have a max speed rating of 75mph. If I want speed, I will drive my ZL1, 3.8 for 0-60, 11.6 1/4 mile and 192mph WOT.
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:58 PM   #10

Official iRV2 Sponsor

My CR-V toad has a towing limit of 65mph. I have no intention of doing its transmission any harm. My MH has a "sweet spot" at around 63-64 where it goes into 6th. IMO that's a perfect speed to drive at.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:46 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm about 800 miles from finishing a 4400 mile trip from Jacksonville to Phoenix and back. Most of Texas and New Mexico had a posted speed limit of 75-80 MPH and I set cruise to 64 and pretty much kept pace with the truckers.
As a matter of fact most of the traffic ran at that speed. Guess we are all saving fuel for the most part.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
I'm about 800 miles from finishing a 4400 mile trip from Jacksonville to Phoenix and back. Most of Texas and New Mexico had a posted speed limit of 75-80 MPH and I set cruise to 64 and pretty much kept pace with the truckers.
As a matter of fact most of the traffic ran at that speed. Guess we are all saving fuel for the most part.
Many HDT carrier fleets are governed at 62-65 MPH. I usually run with them.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:24 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
55 Vs. 75 mph
350 miles
8 mpg
80 gal tank

I assume you are talking about average speeds. IMO it is easier to average 55 mph than it is 75 mph. In order to average 75 you will have to do some very high speeds, especially with the extra stop.

I agree with the getting there relaxed. If I want to go farther I can easily drive an extra hour and still be more relaxed than speeding.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:26 PM   #14

speed limits

Here in SWF traveling along I-75 the limit is 70 mph.

Since we do weekend trips leaving Friday night I set the cruise at 70-75 because I like to get where I'm going and set up BEFORE it gets dark.

When you're full-time and don't have a schedule you can take your time but for the few of us who have limited time I find it more relaxing to be at the CG rather than on the road.

I've got 600 hp and I'll be darned if I don't put them to use.