Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #1

Speedco- ?

OK....man do I feel like a door knob! Just made a special trip to ever so beautiful Eloy, AZ just to visit Speedco. Bin thinkin (first big mistake) that I should (just for prevention purposes) change-up the synthetic tranny fluid. Why not use Speedco....everyone raves about these guys. Heck....while I'm there I'll have them check the condition of my coolant, do an oil analysis, have a cup of coffee and 30min or so later....Bob's your uncle.

So......am I the only dofus who was unaware that Speedco doesn't service "auto-trannies"? Doesn't do anything (testing or otherwise with coolant? They do DO coffee!

Oh well ... Just saved several hundred dollars and if the weather clears, there are 6 golf courses in town and they are going to get my new tranny fluid money!

Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hey Jack; We were surprised first time at Speedco. I asked about the Allison fluids and they told me they don't do them.
They did check my coolant and add some of the additive. I didn't ask them about changing the coolant.
They were great with the oil and filters, chassis lube and onsite oil analysis.
I also think they do oil and filter on the genny, but I didn't ask.

Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #3

If your Allison Transmission has the TranSynd synthetic fluid in it you should not have to change it. See this thread for information from an Allison Trans engineer; it is rather lengthy but has some great information about Allison transmissions and the service they require.

Former Allison Transmission Fluids Engineer

Mike
Old 01-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
while in Eloy- get your wheels polished- if you have alcoas
Old 01-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #5

While in Eloy go to the airport. Busiest sky diver spot in the world. Free for spectators and they parachute all day every day!!!!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncie_6spd
If your Allison Transmission has the TranSynd synthetic fluid in it you should not have to change it. See this thread for information from an Allison Trans engineer; it is rather lengthy but has some great information about Allison transmissions and the service they require.

Former Allison Transmission Fluids Engineer

Mike
Hey Muncie......many thanks for your response. I currently have a very bad Internet connection so it is painfully slow working my way through the "link" trying to find the specific answer to...

"How often (years or miles) should I change the fluid" ? I was under the impression it was every 4 yrs or 48k miles. Is this thread suggesting the fluid will last much much longer like 150k miles?

Appreciate your advice.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
The Speedco I use does test coolant and does oil analysis.

I knew about the transmission stuff because I read their website.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:31 AM   #8

Jack, Yes their is no reason to change your fluid at those intervals if it is indeed the Allison Transynd fluid or TES295 certified by Allison (very few are). I believe the Transynd fluid was standard in 1999 and up transmissions, unless the chassis manufacturer changed it to DexronIII to reduce costs.

The best way to find out which fluid you have is testing a sample; you can buy a test kit from Buy an Engine Oil Analysis Kit Today | Engine Oil Analysis Service and send him the sample for testing. This company belongs to Tom Johnson, the retired Allison fluids engineer. It's much cheaper than changing the fluid more often than needed.

Mike
Old 01-11-2013, 10:59 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncie_6spd View Post
Jack, Yes their is no reason to change your fluid at those intervals if it is indeed the Allison Transynd fluid or TES295 certified by Allison (very few are). I believe the Transynd fluid was standard in 1999 and up transmissions, unless the chassis manufacturer changed it to DexronIII to reduce costs.

The best way to find out which fluid you have is testing a sample; you can buy a test kit from Buy an Engine Oil Analysis Kit Today | Engine Oil Analysis Service and send him the sample for testing. This company belongs to Tom Johnson, the retired Allison fluids engineer. It's much cheaper than changing the fluid more often than needed.

In my case, the transmission installed in my Country Coach, built in August of '01, was filled with Dexron.

Mike
Transmissions were shipped dry and it was up to the coach manufacturer to install fluid so you could have either Transynd or Dexron. If you have Transynd from the factory, there should be a tag or sticker somewhere in the engine compartment close to the trans dipstick stating that it is filled with transynd.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:10 PM   #10

W W Willams

If you still have your heart set on changing out your Transynd check out W W Williams, 2602 S 19Th Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85009. 602-257-0561. This is a first class organization with another location in Tucson. Call first they do appointments and they are a full service shop for all your needs and they have Bee Line Equipment for alignments. I highly recommend them.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

The change interval on your Allison varies with the transmission model and type of fluid.

Go to the Allison site and use their change calculator tool to find the right answer for your rig.
Allison Transmission

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote