Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-13-2016, 08:14 PM   #1
Holiday Rambler Owners Club

Hey All...

Been seeing a lot of people using Speedco and just happened to find one here in Denver.

Don't know much about them but they seem like they are a Quick Lube for big rigs?

If you have used them, could you share your experience with them.

Anything helps and much appreciated.

David and my Co-Pilot Pickles the Wonder Dog
2002 Holiday Rambler Navigator and 2014 CRV Toad
WK0P Monitoring 146.52 Mhz and CB Channel 13
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2016, 08:26 PM   #2
I have used Speedo and they do a good job at a good price. However, you need to make sure they do not put too much oil in your coach since the amount is different than they are used to. Also be sure to know where all of your filters are so you can point them out.

Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:43 PM   #3
Originally Posted by Ludmilla View Post
I have used Speedo and they do a good job at a good price. However, you need to make sure they do not put too much oil in your coach since the amount is different than they are used to. Also be sure to know where all of your filters are so you can point them out.
Agreed. I have used them twice and will a third time but you need to be present when things are happening.

2009 Newmar 42 ft. Allstar 4188, Wheelchair Accessible, 400HP Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, Mastertow Dolly, '98 Riviera
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:46 PM   #4
No appointment needed. They let you go into the pit . When done the floor manager double checks the levels. On our gennerator he noticed that not enough oil was put in. It takes a minute or two for the dip stick neck to drain into the genny and the tech checked the level to soon.
Best part was the price... $ 170 including all fuel filters engine and genny.
2008 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 340 Cummins
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:55 PM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
I've used Speedco. It seems that I never reach a mileage limit for an oil change, so it's been an annual event prior to winter storage.

It seems, to me, that they do an adequate job.

Be aware that there area of expertise is over the road trucks. Although they do motorhomes, they don't see a lot of them.

Know where your fuel filters are (yeah, they're stuffed in some out-of-the-way locations), or you may find that only your primary was changed. Depending on your personal preference for filters, you may want to bring your own for them to use. They may not stock your favorite brand.

I always print the page from my Operating Manual showing the locations of grease fittings (zerks) and give that to the 'pit crew'. That seems more friendly than questioning the 'pit crew', "How many did you find?" "Nope, wrong answer." "Come and see me when you've found the ones you missed."

Take care,
"A superior pilot is one who uses his superior judgement to avoid situations which might require the demonstration of his superior skills."
777 Driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:07 PM   #6

I try to use Speedco on the road if I need service. They've always done good work and they are very affordable.
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:35 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Used them for the first time recently. Did good work at reasonable cost.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:12 PM   #8
Monaco Owners Club
Used Speedco in Aurora OR in September for annual maintenance. They were reasonably competant, but:
They will use Fleetguard filters if prompted. Their default is Baldwin.
They will use Delo 400 oil if asked. I don't know what the default is.

Be sure to watch that they don't use chassis grease in the brake adjusters. If they give you a blank stare, don't let them "lube" the brakes.

The generator fuel filter on our coach is very poorly located and is a bitch to change. They finally did get it done, but it took me a couple of tries a week later to finally get the leak to stop.

They can test but not change coolant. I had to take the coach to a truck repair shop to get that attended to.

They offered to check and adjust tire pressure, but it cost extra. That's the first time anyone has tried to charge me for that service.

The finaly cost was $330. I'd use them again for the convenience, but I will be looking over their shoulders and asking questions every step of the way. As Stu pointed out, they know OTR trucks where the layouts pretty standardized and access is usually much better.

Home: 2003 Monaco Executive 43 SDDS, ISM
bobcovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:23 PM   #9
Thats good advice Bob. I am going to take my coach there in a few weeks. I was wondering how well they did. I think I will stick to changing the oil in the coach (cummins 8.3) and both fuel filters.

I'll report back when I am done
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:31 PM   #10
I've had good luck with them and found them to be knowledgeable on RV's but I use the ones on I-5 in California so lots of RV folks traveling through. The price was right and they really did a good job on the rig and generator. Tire pressure check/adjustment was included at no additional charge.

Bill & Christine
40 ft Revolution LE Diesel Pusher & Honda Fit Sport
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:58 AM   #11
They will gladly change your generator oil, air and fuel filters at a very reasonable cost in addition to all their other services.

I use Speedco every year for annual services and get the engine oil analysis as well.

Takes all the stress out of all of the annual P.M.
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:15 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I have used Speedco's in CA, NV, LA and GA. The service has been different in each one, some better than others.

One Monacoers member had posted in that forum NOT to use the Speedco in Denver. Here is what he had posted.

Don't go to SpeedCo in Denver. Was there last year when a service person took off my hydraulic filter thinking it was an additional air filter. Brilliant move. They also missed a bunch of zerk fittings on the drive and suspension links.

Here is another members post who had stopped at the Denver Speedco for a partial service.

I just left the Speedco in Denver and had a few issues. And I only had a fuel filter and chassis lube done. Price is right, but you have to follow them like hawks. When they start your service by asking you which of the filters is fuel and which is oil, it's time to exit stage left.

My advice is to find a different Speedco somewhere else.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:33 AM   #13
Newmar Owners Club
I too use Speedco at times for a chassis lube and engine and generator oil and filter change. There is one important part of the generator service Speedco does not do however. They do not blow out the spark arrestor.

In order for your gen to operate at its peak efficiency the spark arrestor must be blown out every 150 hours, at the same interval as it oil and filter. The plug for the spark arrestor is located along the side the muffler. It must be removed and the gen run at full load for about 5 minutes.
Retired and livin' the RV dream!
2005 Newmar 43 ft. MADP, Cummins ISL 400HP, 2008 Honda CR-V toad
Ron_H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:12 AM   #14
Monaco Owners Club
I use the Speedco in Denver all the time. Very good service and you can go down in the pit and check things. They make you watch as they torque the drain plug. They have different oil options and Fleetguard filters. It is located just east of 56th and Vasquez Blvd. They have a web site with locations.....

Good Luck

2004 Monaco Signature Château 43'
Detroit 60 Series, Vorad Collision Avoidance
2011 Honda CR-V EXL, M&G Brakes
djhinds is offline   Reply With Quote