Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2014, 07:27 AM   #1

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Speedco for a gasser??

Does anyone use Speedco for their gasoline powered MH ? I see lots of diesel owners using them, but no comments from gasser owners.

Have checked the Ford dealers in and around my area too.... they want no part of motorhomes. No idea what that is all about, but only places local to me are Speedco and the RV dealers who want an arm and a leg and a 3 week wait time for an appointment.
RussM311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2014, 10:14 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
I don't have any Speedcos near me. I have a gasser and get my oil changes at a truck service facility. Definitely more expensive than my car's oil change, but they check everything and lube the chassis, which on cars is kind of a forgotten art.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:17 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Nope, sorry. Speedco is for diesel only. They are for the big tractors but also do motorhomes. Everything is on a first come, first served which I like. Been using them for years.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:59 AM   #4

One of the great things about owning a gasser is being able to save lots of money and do your own maintanence. Changing the oil is a quick 10 minute job especially if you install a fumoto oil valve.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #5

I don't think the service on the diesel is much more than a gas vehicle. I do the engine, generator oil change, oil filters and fuel filters and chassis lube for $210.

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2013 Scion XB toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 07-03-2014, 12:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtermini30 View Post
I don't think the service on the diesel is much more than a gas vehicle. I do the engine, generator oil change, oil filters and fuel filters and chassis lube for $210.

This topic has been

I've owned 2 DPers and 4 gassers, doing the required maintenance for the first three years breaks down like this.

For Gasser

Oil and oil filter change every 5K miles
Grease chassis with oil filter change

For DP

Oil and oil filter change yearly
U Joint and slip joint grease every 5K miles
Replace 2 engine fuel filters yearly
Exhaust brake lubed every six months
Engine coolant tested and corrosion inhibitors added yearly
Air brakes drained monthly
Rear axle differential drained and refilled yearly
Front wheel bearings hubs drained and refilled yearly
Air brake filters replaced on year three
Engine air filter replaced on year three
Coolant drained and replaced year three
When my CAT engine hit 35,000 miles I had to have the valves adjusted.

I'm sure I have forgotten something but that is from my records which coincide with the recommended maintenance for the first three years of ownership.

Even if you paid someone to change the oil and lube the chassis in a gasser I can't imagine that will cost more than $150 a year vs $550 a year for the diesel and that included me doing some of the maintenance listed above.

NOTE: I should also say that most of the maintenance I had done on my DP's were done at truck repair places like Speedco, which is much more economical than taking it to a RV dealership. If you took it to a RV dealership you probably could hit the $1000 a year in PM cost on the diesel but I think you would be very hard pressed to get over $200 a year with a gasser at the dealership.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussM311 View Post
Does anyone use Speedco for their gasoline powered MH ? I see lots of diesel owners using them, but no comments from gasser owners.

Have checked the Ford dealers in and around my area too.... they want no part of motorhomes. No idea what that is all about, but only places local to me are Speedco and the RV dealers who want an arm and a leg and a 3 week wait time for an appointment.
Do you have a Ford commercial truck dealer anywhere near? We have ours done there-- $39 for lube, oil, filter.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:36 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Had a DP for nine years. Always took to a shop for service at about 1000 to 1200 a year for all required/suggested maintenance. Just bought a gasser with the Ford V10 Triton. Did first 6 mo service in my driveway. Cost was around 60 bucks using synthetic oil. Already had tools. Will do this twice a year. Add in an air filter every third oil change and I easily make up the difference in fuel mileage. Even with diesel being less than regular here in SoCal these days. And, did I mention the convenience of not having the rig at a dealership every year.
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:24 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We just returned from a long trip in our coach and I went to Walmart and purchased 7 quarts of full synthetic oil and a filter for about $60.00. I already installed a Fumoto valve on the oil pan previously, so when I do the change and lube this weekend, it should be an easy job. I know that the filter will come off easily because I put it on.
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:39 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
There is a bit more to the service of an F53 chassis than an oil change and a lube. Replace the brake fluid every two years, for example.

Here is the actual service manual. Be sure to note severe service and towing exceptions.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:44 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For gassers... I dont think you can beat doing it yourself. Get one of those no mess drain plugs like Stahlbus or Fram and some good synthetic oil & a quality filter.
Just went 10k on my last oil change with about $65 worth of parts/fluid.

Those no mess plugs are really really really really nice. No tools required.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:09 PM   #12

FWIW - My former mechanic retired and closed his shop so I called the local Ford dealer. No dice. Called the local truck tire dealer and no problem. He has lift capacity for big straight box trucks so does C type RV's as a sideline. Did not ask if he could do short A's but probably can. Just pointing out another possibility for routine service.

Worse comes to worse Freightliner shop is up the street. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
For Gasser

Oil and oil filter change every 5K miles

For DP

Oil and oil filter change yearly
U Joint and slip joint grease every 5K miles
Replace 2 engine fuel filters yearly
Exhaust brake lubed every six months
Engine coolant tested and corrosion inhibitors added yearly
Air brakes drained monthly
Rear axle differential drained and refilled yearly
Front wheel bearings hubs drained and refilled yearly
Air brake filters replaced on year three
Engine air filter replaced on year three
Coolant drained and replaced year three

When my CAT engine hit 35,000 miles I had to have the valves adjusted.

I'm sure I have forgotten something but that is from my records which coincide with the recommended maintenance for the first three years of ownership.
Steven,

I can see there are some diesel specific things in your list, like lubing the exhaust brake, but it seems like some of the others such as changing differential oil (see underlining) would apply to both types of rig. Are those items not on your gas motorhome list because the manufacturer didn't require it?

Since my CFO and I are contemplating a gas VS. diesel decision, OP's issue is something I'm following closely. I'm in the Navy, and I don't always get much say where they send me, so I frequently have to change where I get service done.

Case
Old 07-04-2014, 07:00 PM   #14

I have traveled all over since 2005 and never been refused at a ford dealer. cost has been between 39 to 59 dollars. In ada oklahoma the ford dealer had the tech come out to me in the lane (wow )
3wheeljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas