Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-25-2015, 01:15 PM   #1
Speedco Front Hubs--fill question

My '05 Alpine Coach has Speedco hubs. Noticing they were low on oil, I popped the red center plugs and added 75/90W synthetic to the bottom of the plug hole. I did notice "oil level" marks halfway up the viewing glass that would require removal of the allen wrench plug on the top of the hub. A fair amount of extra work in getting the tire off the ground to rotate the wheel to the proper position. Was what I did adequate or? I did notice that the plugs came out rather easily as I got them out with my fingernails. Being 10 years old, maybe I should replace those rubber plugs. Any idea where to get them?
Thanks for all suggestions.

Wrinklemeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2015, 01:32 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
something like turkey baster would work, we have an automotive type (rubber bulb w/tube) that we use to suck brake fluid and/or PS and other fluids when necessary. As little as they cost I myself would replace the plugs, some of them do have a tiny hole in the center, I assume they are original and remember its a rubber product that is ten years old. The fleet of school buses I run we use 50W syn oil in the hubs, double check your chassis manual, 75/90 won't hurt any thing, we just use that for differentials.

Rick & Becky FMCA F449582 WIT167153
2005 Winnebago Journey 36G, Cat C7/350
2010 CR-V toad, Roadmaster Falcon 2
cptdzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 02:38 PM   #3
I never heard of Speedco hubs, but Stemco Hubs have a red plug in the center for filling purposes. The full line, is below that level. The line goes around the clear plastic, but is always read at the bottom.

The allen plug is for draining them, before removing them or changing the oil.
To drain them, have someone drive the MH, until the drain is on the bottom.

If you have Stemco, you have overfilled them.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:16 AM   #4
I would buy new plugs. With only a two minute search on the internet, I didn't find your brand. Pull one out and go to any truck shop - Freightliner, Volvo, Peterbuilt, Western Star, generic truck shop or Napa store and they should have them.

As to which oil to run in them, I prefer to run the same oil as I'm using in the rear end. One less type of oil to carry around. I use a synthetic in both. When was the last time you changed the oil in the rear end and the hubs?

And yes, the lines on the plastic center part of the hubs are like the lines on your engine oil dip stick. Technically you've overfilled them if you took the oil level up to the plug hole. Unless your wheel bearing run hot forcing a lot of oil out of the plugs and creating a mess (remember they're only finger tight) you should be OK.

The metal plug on the side of hub that should come off with an allen wrench is for draining only. You could fill through them, buy why go to the trouble.

Trackrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:21 PM   #5
You should also monitor the inside of that wheel/tire for evidence of oil. when you start losing oil from those oil bath bearing reservoirs, its typically the inside seal leaking.
Jim2 is online now   Reply With Quote