Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
Speedometer and Rough Road

While traveling on an extremely rough road yesterday in our Pace Arrow Vision motorhome, I hit a horrible bump that caused my speedometer to drop to 0 MPH, the check engine light came on, but my RPMs stayed constant. The engine is a 2000 Ford Triton V10. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm hoping that the speedometer is electronic and it's nothing too serious, since we recently had to replace a blown out plug ... yeah, gotta love this engine (NOT!!).

ranchgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
Appalachian Campers
Just a wild guess with what little amount of info here. Clean all the battery connections and see if that does not help it. If the bump shook the battery connections, it may be they are dirty/corroded and not making like they should.
I have this pet theory that a large percentage of MH troubles come from poor electrical contacts. Even my wonderful Allison transmission is dependent of good contacts

doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
loss of speedo and check engine light appearing at same time...would make me look for the speed sensor on the trans...possibly it became disconnected due to the bump
96 Dynasty 36' that does NOT wander, thanks to RuppParts.com and their superior "poly" suspension bushings
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
Loss of Speedometer Reading

I seem to be sensor-challenged, so speed sensor makes sense ... On my Dodge truck I lost the fuel sensor gauge, and then the oil pressure sensor gauge ... all on the same trip. I have a call into Ford to see what they think. Never lost my RMPs, but watching my speedometer drop to "0" in heavy traffic certainly increased my blood pressure/respiration.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
I agree it's probably electrical, but I never lost my RPMs and the battery light never came on.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:07 AM   #6
Most of our RV's are totally dependent on the computer, which controls speedometer, transmission, and countless other things. ANY electrical connection can cause the symptoms you described. May never happen again, but if it does start checking those many connectors!
'99 Allegro Bus '05 Honda CRV
Red James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #7
I would check the output shaft speed sensor located on the rear of the transmission. It's where the computer gets the data for the speedometer.

BTW.... Without it working your abs may not respond right, I would check it ASAP.

Shaun & Jarese - Denver Co
3 Kids, Nicholas 16, Alex 13, Cassie 9 Years
Newmar AllStar 3950 (mid-engine diesel)
Bryantclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #8
Monaco Owners Club
We were on the Dempster Highway up in the Yukon, on the way to Inuvik, NWT, this past summer, and lost our dash around the Arctic Circle. All electrics, meters, etc gone. Found the connector in the fuse panel (roadside fuse panel, below driver) worked loose. Pushed it back in firmly, and the dash came back.

Jay & Jo Couture Livin' On The Edge,
w/Dawson, our mini aussie, in a 2007 Monaco Knight 40DFT, towing a 24" Pace garage.
1skier is offline   Reply With Quote