Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
spin balance or beads ?

finally new toyo tires r in ! now the job of getting them put on ! should one spin balance or beads ? whats been to your liking ? decisions arent always easy here ! lol looking for a place to dismount an mount also here in jacksonville ! your opinion plse !

97 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 275 Cat powered
fxdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
I had the beads in my 19.5 tires and they just put them in my 22.5 Toyo tire I got a little vibrision at 45 to 50 mph not sure if its the beads or something Else but had no problem with them on the 19.5

Randy blase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:14 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spin balancing is always better, and here are the reasons why:

1. You will get a better balance with spin balancing.

2. This is the biggest reason...With beads in the tire, either the beads or the inside of the tire will begin to wear away. In either case, when you go to adjust the tire pressure, if you have to release air from the tire, some of this material [bead or rubber dust] WILL get caught in the tire valve, resulting in a small air leak that is almost impossible to repair without replacing the schrader valves.

Spinning the tires is more expensive, but the results are always better.

Hope this helps.

2005 SEABREEZE LX 8360
WSRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:15 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I like the theory behind the beads and had them installed in all 6 tires on the MH when the new aluminum wheels were installed a month or so ago.
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:20 PM   #5
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I have replaced 9 tires without balancing any, never had a problem.

Fred and Bonnie
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
Abby, Ruffles & Scarlett, "The Cats"
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:38 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
I had my new Toyo Tires spun because I felt the beads were causing slow leaks in my old valve stems. I had quite a search finding a shop in Albuquerque that could spin 22.5 wheels.

1999 Tradewinds 7372 Cat 3126
Albuquerque, NM
Theberrys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:28 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For just a few $$ each, I prefer both. Spin balance when new to be sure the tires are good then add beads to keep them balanced. I put on a new set of 19.5's a while back and just put in the beads. Never could stop the vibrations. Had them pulled and spin balanced and found one tire out of round and could not be balanced.
Jerry & Patsy Potter, Taz & Jake Jr.
2000 Winnebago Journey
2006 Ford Explorer 4X4
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:34 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Wizard. Spin balance them so you know if the tire is out of round and takes too much weight. If it does then you need them to get a different tire. If it is a steel wheel then they need to turn the tire on the rim until it is the smoothest. Can't turn them on an aluminum wheel because they are true all around.
Mike Canter
"Gunner" USN Retired, Airdale
2004 Monaco Signature 44' Conquest. Detroit 60
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #9
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you decide to go with the beads, Make sure they install the valve stems with the filters. The other posts were right, beads can get in the core and cause a leak. They are supposed to use a valve stem with a filter to keep this from happening. I would make them show me one, to be sure.
ga traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:53 PM   #10
Newmar Owners Club
Hi fxdave,
Spin balance. Properly done, you'll have a very smooth ride for the entire life of the tire. Since 1978, I've never had a problem.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:20 PM   #11
im old school spin balance in the 70,0 i would use a hunter to balance the tire the front we but a drive under the tire rune to 75 mph and go now if buy tires they will be bal if necassary they will spin tire to rim before i leave
whem2fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:52 PM   #12
Monaco Owners Club
I think that tire balancing, whether it be spin balancing or static balancing, is last century technology. Spin balancing is a good idea to check to make sure that a brand new tire is good.

Contact the folks at:
Tire Balancing Products

They'll supply you with the right packages of ceramic Dynabeads. You do not need special valve stems with Dynabeads, as the beads are larger than the hole in the valve stem.

Once I tried the Dynabeads, it's all I'll use now. I throw them in the tire when I mount it on the rim, and forget about it for the life of the tire.

When we drove our farm truck out of the wet fields, we'd have to stop and scrape the mud out of the wheels as best as we could so that we could drive down the highway without the vehicle shaking itself to pieces. Once converted to Dynabeads, we never thought about it anymore. The beads constantly adjust to the changing imbalance of the wheel.

I believe that a big problem with the old technology balancing methods is that the balance you did will not adjust for the changing dynamics of the tire as it wears. By the time you realize there's a problem, usually because there's a vibration, usually the tire is no longer dynamically round, and then rebalancing can become a real challenge.
Jim & Kate
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel
1995 Monaco Dynasty 36', 2005 Honda Pilot
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Spin balance. Only. And I always watch em do it. And I make em spin em again after the weights are on, if the machine don't show double zeros they start over...

JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote