Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2015, 09:50 PM   #1

Splendide vented or ventless combo

I want to add a washer dryer combo unit to my motor home. I am considering the ventless model as I don't really want to drill a hole in the side of my coach if I don't have to. Does anyone out there have the ventless model and how do you like it?

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2015, 10:06 PM   #2

Seems like a ventless model would add a lot of unwanted humidity to the inside of the RV...

Old 11-05-2015, 10:28 PM   #3

Had a ventless for less than a year sold it on craigslist and bought a vented and never looked back. The ventless either boil or steam dry the clothes. However you slice it ther are way slower, overall a horrible peoduct. Cut a hole and get a vented, you wont regret it. BTW if you have the room, most people really like the stacked pair better.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:31 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ventless dryers are slow to dry clothes as they use the cold water supply to condense the water out of the moist hot air in the drum.

I have an LG ventless washer dryer in my RV and it takes four hours to wash and dry one load. It does a good job - you put in dirty clothes and a while later out pop dry clean ones!
Old 11-05-2015, 10:37 PM   #5

We elected to a ventless model because DW did not want to drill a hole in the side. It does work for us. Might take longer, but it doesn't matter. It does not add humidity to the RV. For lack of better terminology, the humid dryer air passes thru a heat exchanger that condenses the humidity and it is just pumped down the drain. Your water usage will increase as it is the outside water that cools the heat exchanger so that the dryer air will condense. Even though we have the space for a side by side, we chose the combo to have the extra space as a broom closet (if you will), coats, dirty clothes, etc. It all works very well for us.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:46 PM   #6

I think the vented unit would be the favorite choice. Our coach has the Splendide 2100 vented unit and works really well. Others with the non vented say they work, but take about twice as long to cycle through.

My advice is bite the bullet and drill the hole, Lots of coaches have these installed, and generally they work very well.

HTH

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:00 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Splendide vented or ventless combo

G.... We have the Splendide combo 2100XC, vented. Go with a vented unit. No question.

As to the question of putting another hole in your coach.... You already have about 15 or 16 holes in your sidewalls, and another 7 or 8 or more in your roof. Another 12 sq in for a dryer vent won't make a big difference.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, 3126, '04 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:24 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We ordered the '02 Dutch Star prepped for the vented combo. Found a lightly used one that a club member was selling and put it in. When Newmar did the prep they also put a sticker on the inside wall. I bought a cheap holesaw set from Harbor Freight and a chrome outside vent cover from Newmar. Drilled from the inside first and then used the pilot hole to come through the outside wall. Worked great.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:11 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We've had two combo Splendides, both vented, both worked fine. We would not have a ventless model.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:45 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Our dealership had dozens of complaints from owners of the ventless models. Slow, slow,slow.We changed out a couple of ventless and installed the vented model. I never had a customer who went from vented to ventless. Who was happy. They DO NOT add moisture to the coach, They are just slow and use a lot of water.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:55 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
The ventless DO the job, SLOWLY and with lots lots of cold water to dry. The vented will dry much faster and with minimal water, the dryer vent is no problem.
So if you have limitless water and black tank the ventless is OK.
But if you want faster with less water(just for the wash process) vented.
Oh also the ventless is a sealed system no moisture in the RV.

LEN
Old 11-06-2015, 03:10 PM   #12

Thanks for everyone's input, looks like I will probably be cutting a hole. Seems as though the vented is a lot more efficient than the nonvented. No point of putting one in if it doesn't work well.

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One
Old 11-06-2015, 06:15 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
[QUOTE=G Schulz;2814749]Thanks for everyone's input, looks like I will probably be cutting a hole. Seems as though the vented is a lot more efficient than the nonvented. No point of putting one in if it doesn't work well.

I also did not want to cut a hole and planned on dropping vent hose thru floor behind dryer and out thru side of basement compartment. Ended up drilling hole in side anyhow. It can be vented below.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Schulz View Post
Thanks for everyone's input, looks like I will probably be cutting a hole. Seems as though the vented is a lot more efficient than the nonvented. No point of putting one in if it doesn't work well.

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One
X about 100 on the vented model. Cut the hole! You'd HATE the ventless model! We have the Splendide 2100 and absolutely LOVE IT! Put laundry in, go do something fun, . . . clean laundry!

Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent