Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2015, 10:01 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Unhappy Splicing Plastic Vacuum Lines

I have a Evans Tempcon Dash AC Unit. Most newer RV's have this. The Vacuum lines are small 1/8th inch dia, and are made of a plastic like material. They are way to long and Thor (Four Winds) chose to fold them up and secure to the outer firewall with nylon ties. After time they will kink cutting off the Vacuum to the Dash AC. They are almost 3 to 4 feet to long. Does anyone know how to cut and splice them. I am sure this is what is causing my Dash AC Problems and lack of vacuum.
Mel

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2015, 10:11 AM   #2

Rubber vacuum hose is available in a size that is a tight fit to the outside diameter of the plastic tube, so take a size sample to your local auto parts store and pick up a couple of feet of the correct size hose. Cut the excess tube and push the ends 2" into a 4" long piece of hose.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Rubber vacuum hose is available in a size that is a tight fit to the outside diameter of the plastic tube, so take a size sample to your local auto parts store and pick up a couple of feet of the correct size hose. Cut the excess tube and push the ends 2" into a 4" long piece of hose.
spray a little WD 40 in the vacuum hose and it will slide right in!!
Old 10-16-2015, 03:22 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would slip rubber hose of the proper ID over them. myself.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:57 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I did what skip426 suggested. Worked fine.
Mel
Old 10-16-2015, 06:33 PM   #6

Just went through this with my 2006 four winds windsport. I bought a vacuum gauge while I was camping as my dash ac kept diverting from center to defrost. In a nutshell, the Ford provided vacuum canister under the right front bumper was toasted. It sucked itself in from vacuum. I tried to fix it but ended up bypassing it while on a trip. The evans tempcon system had it's own small canister so I didn't really need the huge ford canister. I did replace it but you should follow the evans tempcon troubleshooting guide for vacuum issues. Your small lines may be ok.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:47 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Trouble shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Just went through this with my 2006 four winds windsport. I bought a vacuum gauge while I was camping as my dash ac kept diverting from center to defrost. In a nutshell, the Ford provided vacuum canister under the right front bumper was toasted. It sucked itself in from vacuum. I tried to fix it but ended up bypassing it while on a trip. The evans tempcon system had it's own small canister so I didn't really need the huge ford canister. I did replace it but you should follow the evans tempcon troubleshooting guide for vacuum issues. Your small lines may be ok.
I have followed the Evans Tempcon trouble shooting guide for Vacuum leaks. It appears that there is a leak because no matter what position the mode switch is in it blows air out the defrosters. According to what I have read that means a severe vacuum leak somewhere in the main system. I have good vacume from the engine up to and including the evans tempcon black ball resevoir output. The heater defroster, floor, multi are all working from the mode switch so I have to assume that the black Vacuum source line is not leaking from the black ball to the mode control. I have taken the dash apart to get to the AC and heater control center. Could find no problem with the vacuum harness connection. I am about ready to pull my hair out. I am beginning to wonder if the defroster door is stuck open or a bad mode switch.
Mel