RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2019, 07:28 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Spongy steering

I just bought a 2000 Monaco monarch with the F53 chassis recently.
I have driven it a little over 300 miles now and am getting the hang of it. However it seems to me that it sways a lot more than I thought it would. The steering wheel is a little to the right on level straight roads. I have to be careful of not letting it drop off the right side of the road constantly. Also seems a little less than responsive while driving. Maybe Im just use to my F250 that is easy to drive and very responsive when you move the wheel.
Is it just the nature of a MH? Or is there something I should look at??

Brasher801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2019, 07:34 PM   #2

There are any number of potential worn out / aged out front end steering components that may be to blame for this, it is not just about miles on the coach that you need to consider, but also dry rot of the rubber suspension and steering components that may be to blame.

Old 12-07-2019, 08:18 PM   #3

Drop it off at a truck alignment shop. 19 years old means almost all the rubber componenrs on the front end are likely shot.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:22 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Front end alignment shop for big trucks? Like Peterbuilt or freightliner?
I was wondering who could do that. Im guessing ford could do it also but they my brother much higher on labor.
What say everybody on that??
Old 12-08-2019, 02:42 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you know the history?? All the stabilizer bar (SB) bushings have either been replaced or are gone. They are not that expensive to replace. About $80 to buy on E-Bay and maybe an hour to replace them all.

As already stated 19 years old so who knows when it comes to the tires and need for an alignment? The usual price for an alignment is between $150 and $250 and yes it needs to be done at a truck shop. If any parts are worn the cost will go up.

Then there's shocks. Maybe they have been replaced but you didn't tell us any of the history so!!!
Old 12-08-2019, 03:04 PM   #6

You need to track down someone that has an alignment rack capable of handling the weight. That means a truck shop. So yea, its going to cost. At 19 years old expect to pay upwords of a thousand dollars to get all the necessary work done correctly.
Check the age of the tires first, and if their more than 5 years old replace them first.
Old 12-08-2019, 03:56 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Don forgive me but:

Why paint a bleak picture until more is known. First of all there are only three reason why an alignment is needed:

1. Worn parts! We don't know the mileage so we can't draw any conclusions. Yes rubber deteriorates with time but tie rods, and king pins don't.

2. A bent part caused by hitting something. We only know it wanted to pull towards the ditch. Our brand new RV did that and it was a radial pull solved by switching front tires side to side which changed the rotation.

3. The last alignment was not done properly. And again we can't go down that road because we don't know enough about the alignment angles. That will be determined when it is put on an alignment rack and current angles are checked.

A steering wheel off center is a sign of several things but not necessarily bad things.

A decent alignment shop should begin with:

1. Check all tire pressures and condition.

2. Check drag links, tie rods king pins for wear. Check for deterioration of bushings on , stabilizer bars, leaf springs, etc.

3. Any steering or alignment part can be measured/checked to determine if it needs replaced. Replace any worn parts as needed. No alignment can begin with worn parts. If parts are worn the angles will be off so there's no sense doing an alignment with worn parts.

4. Set rack and determine current alignment angle settings (if no worn parts were replaced) against recommended angles. Correct as needed.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:20 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Agree with TeJay - dire warnings are premature. Maybe $200 for an alignment and check of the steering & front suspension components. There may be worn stuff, or not. Definitely get it weighed and the tire pressure set properly before the alignment - it often makes a huge difference. Also check that neither axle is overloaded - it can happen.

The 2000 F53 motorhome chassis wasn't the greatest on steering and handling, so some of what you experience is "just a [gas chassis] motorhome". New F53's are substantially better, but that doesn't help your 2000.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:59 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It has 37000 miles on it. The back tires are a year old. The two front tires are three years old.
I have not checked sway bar bushings but will do that this week. I will also call around and find a truck stop that can do the alignment.
I had not considered weighing it for tire pressures.
Does it say something on the tire about weight and pressure? I can weigh it at the truck stop also!
Thanks for the help this far!! Still learning about MHs.
I am currently in the process of replacing a spot in the floor by the slide out about 3x5. Not as hard as I thought it would be. While checking all of the floor I also found a spot under the copilot window. Have not pulled floor cover back yet to see how big it is. But I suspect about 3x1 from the feel of it. I have been resealing the seems all over the outside. Luckily it has a metal roof with just seams. I have a fifth wheel with the rubber roof and that was a nightmare!! Leak after leak over the years. Had a new one put on and yep about 5 years later leak again. Glad to just have seams to keep caulked now.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:07 AM   #10

I would plan on putting new Koni / bilstein shocks in (shockwharehouse.com) and Poly sway bar bushings (there are plenty on amazon), maybe TeJays CHF sway bar plates (pm him), and a full grease job right before the alignment. If they haven't been recently changed, it's time. All of those things will make a big difference.

Order the parts online, advise the service facility so they can plan the time, and have them install while the RV is up in the air on the rack. Then the alignment.
While it's up in the air, if you are mechanically inclined, see if the service facility will let you inspect the bottom and take pictures / video of all with their mechanic to get an understanding of the condition for future work.

Before all that, inspect the tires for time and any visible issues. Ensure they have the correct pressure for the vehicle weight. Get the rig corner or at least front / back weighed before doing anything. If any issue with tires, put that in the budget and have them ready before the alignment service.

Get all lubrications done, engine, transmission, rear axle.

When buying a used 2000, it's time for you to learn about your new toy and to get a baseline of any services that are needed. If you KNOW the service was done by prior owner, then consider that it's now done.

My 2000 Bounder was scary to drive when I first got it. After doing the above, and adding a home made rear track bar (Homemade or commercial: another recommendation) and a steering dampener, it drives very well now.

You save lots of money buying used. Now's the time to make it a safe pleasure to drive.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:21 AM   #11
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
You need to do three things that should vastly improve the handling

1) If the shocks are original, replace them. I used standard Monroes on my ole Mirada, they give a good ride at a very good price. (I installed KYBs on my Southwind, they are to harsh. If I had to do it again, I'd use the Monroes on the Southwind)

2) Do the CHF (Cheap Handling Fix). This is a simple adjustment to the sway bar links that doesn't cost anything.

F53 – CHF (Cheap Handling Fix) – Fix for sway and handling – 1999 Southwind 35S

3) Get the front end aligned, have them adjust for maximum toe in, maybe even go pas the max a small amount. If they need to adjust caster, have them go past the max and add a degree (i.e. 6 degrees)

NOTES - You will need to watch how the wheels are installed. There is a TSB for vibrations at 45- 60 mph, requires the use of sleeves to properly center the wheels on the hub. There are several TSBs that pertain to your chassis, I believe I have them on my site.

http://www.1999southwind.com/funny-v...tering-on-f53/

SAFETY RECALL

Take your VIN to any Ford dealer and see if the Cruise Control recall is required / complied with.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:26 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
EXCELLENT advice by the last two posters !!!!! You won't go wrong following their advice. I especially like this quote from Dav L

"When buying a used 2000, it's time for you to learn about your new toy and to get a baseline of any services that are needed."
Old 12-09-2019, 10:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasher801 View Post
Front end alignment shop for big trucks? Like Peterbuilt or freightliner?
I was wondering who could do that. I’m guessing ford could do it also but they my brother much higher on labor.
What say everybody on that??
Locate a HDT repair shop that has an alignment machine. Have them perform a total alignment, this includes setting the thrust angle, which is very important.
I had our MH aligned, now it drives as good as my Silverado truck, cost $300.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering