Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2016, 09:38 PM   #15
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
This might be a dumb question but what would happen if you ran the deionized water into the water softner? Wouldn't you then have nice soft deionized water? Or does that just not work well?

I would think it just might work fine.

W.D.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2016, 11:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
This might be a dumb question but what would happen if you ran the deionized water into the water softner? Wouldn't you then have nice soft deionized water? Or does that just not work well?

W.D.
Not a clue but, if I really wanted to find out, I'd maybe call a Culligan Water systems service center and see what they say about something like that.

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:24 PM   #17
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Yeah I'll see if I can get an answer to that. I guess if it did work, the issue of reduced life of the ionizer beads would be the sacrifice.....depending how hard the initial water source is.

I could probably live with that though, I'll report on my findings. Or if anyone else already knows the answer, sound off!

Safe travels!

W.D.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clements02 View Post
I'm looking at the on the go deionizer. Not the softener. I was just asking if anyone had experience with the dual tank vs the single tank.
I've got the On the Go deionizer which is a dual canister and will do approximately 15 RV washes compared to about 5 washes for the single mixed canister. I hook it up first through my water softener (contrary to another statement) then through the on the go system and then to my pressure washer. I'm staying with this procedure as my coach is spotless after finishing and washing time has decreased by about 50%.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:51 PM   #19
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Steve it sounds like it works the way you have it set up just fine. Heck 15 washes is pretty darn good in my view. If you're getting that much out of the beads before spotting reappears it's got to be working, at least it does with your particular water source.
Hey if the coach comes out looking great, mission accomplished. End result is what counts. Dual tank system sounds to be best too.

I'm going to get my ionizer system added to my set up this spring.

W.D.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:57 AM   #20

I never get water spots from rainwater. Perhaps solution would be to wash it during heavy rains if you don't mind getting wet.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:44 AM   #21

I have the CR Spotless system (2 tank model) and it's great. Works as advertised, rinse and walk away. I've had it for 3 months and have about 20 car washes and 4 MH washes on it using the system pretty liberally. L The TDS meter has just moved from 000 to 007 on my last wash. The max is 020 I believe before spotting reoccurs. It's about $100 to recharge the resin beads and I just orders 2 sets for around $200. There are bulk beads out there on eBay that look a bit cheaper. I may try those next time around. I'm also going to go to a 2nd hose so I am only doing the final rinse with DI water to try to extend the cartridge life and reduce the per wash cost.

The system is not cheap, but it does work. The only bug I don't have a handle on is the beads degrading due to algae growth. But if I can stretch the life out to 6 months per recharge and cut the cost to $200/year I still think it's worth it. So much less work if you're not drying and or you can wash in direct sunlight without spotting.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:48 PM   #22

Well Gang,
Again, any of these portable, deionized systems, like the one double vessel one from Costco, will last for a certain amount of time, BASED ON THE WATER YOU FEED IT. If your water is naturally softer, they YES, you will get a considerable amount of treated gallons from from your system. But, if you live where the local water from your tap is seriously harder, like where we used to live in the San Diego area and, now where we live now in Lake Havasu City AZ, you'll get considerably less treated gallons.

I am not a water chemist. I only repeated what the CR system rep told me at the Quartzsite RV event a month ago. Now, maybe he was telling me that feeding his system with "soft water" (from a water softener) will degrade the beads sooner than later just to sell his product, or, maybe it's the actual truth. Again, I'm no chemist so, I cannot disprove or prove his statements.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:35 PM   #23

Interesting read right here...for those that have more time than money when it comes to thier DI water resin.......How to Recharge DI Resin by David Sanders - Reefkeeping.com
Spencer & Tracie RVM#62
2013 RAM 3500DRW 4x4 Laramie, Cummins, 385HP,850FTLBS Aisin Trans
2014 DRV Elite Suite 41RESB4
Spare puller:2004 RAM3500DRW Cummins (DW's truck)
Roosters 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:53 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post

W.D.
DI water IS soft water in that it doesn't have any TDS...it doesn't have anything and that's why it doesn't leave any spots. Soft water from a water softener doesn't have any (or very little) TDS but does have a slight amount of sodium (from the regeneration process )so water from a water softener will leave spots - but is usually less than the water coming out of the tap.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:39 PM   #25
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
DI water IS soft water in that it doesn't have any TDS...it doesn't have anything and that's why it doesn't leave any spots. Soft water from a water softener doesn't have any (or very little) TDS but does have a slight amount of sodium (from the regeneration process )so water from a water softener will leave spots - but is usually less than the water coming out of the tap.

Oh OK I gotcha, thank you.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:19 AM   #26

I have an aquarium RO system with a DI module and collection tank.

A system is about $150 and will last years.

Water enters at 60 PPM and exits at 0 PPM dissolved solids. Dissolved solids are what causes spots.

I can't say it works a treat because I haven't used it to wash yet, but in theory it will do what I need.

I will update you as soon as I pull my rig from storage..
Old 02-19-2016, 08:47 PM   #27

I bought a portable electric sprayer, and fill it with distilled water. After the final hose rinse, I just spray it down with distilled, no spots. Think I paid 50 for the sprayer.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:54 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I agree with Fire Up. I had this young fella come to the park we were at in Salt Lake City last May on our way to the Grand Canyon. First time I had seen a wash using Deionized Water. It was a nice warm day in bright sun. When he finished he went over the windows with a micro fibre towel and the rest of the coach dried Spotless. He had the two deionizer tanks and a water tank in his truck. Pressure washer mounted on the back set to low pressure used basically to rinse. He wet the rig then went over with a brush/soap and then rinsed.
Did the coach, including the roof, the wheel curtains and the CRV in about an hour for $100.
He said the tanks lasted for 6-8 rigs and cost him $125 to recharge.
I was so impressed, I had him do it again on our return trip.

Dennis, is that Pony Express you were at?

Tags
motorhome